Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

BBC Multiplex now broadcasting from Camlough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio/digital_radio.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Crystalset wrote: »
    << Roberts UK told me the DAB section of the radio would not work in Australia as we have the DAB+ system, also they informed me that it was not firmware upgradable to receive the DAB+ format, as can be done with the Pure brand
    Although all Pure products on sale here are either DAB+ or upgradeable, not all current models from the UK are.

The Tempus-1s, is DAB only - non-upgradeable, whilst the Evoke, a near identical model can be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Although all Pure products on sale here are either DAB+ or upgradeable, not all current models from the UK are.

The Tempus-1s, is DAB only - non-upgradeable, whilst the Evoke, a near identical model can be upgraded.

Pure have replaced their entire range of DAB radios, if you have a look on there website.

As far as I can tell, all the new models support DAB +

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I contacted Roberts about the DAB+
    this is their reply
    Thank you for your email.

Please see our statement regarding DAB+ in the UK

The digital broadcast platform in the UK is DAB. Over 9 million units have been sold to date and DAB remains one of the key growth areas within consumer electronics.

DAB+ has been developed for overseas markets and there are no plans to introduce this format into the UK.

Countries such as Australia and Switzerland have recently adopted the DAB+ standard and Roberts have developed products for sale in these markets.

Ofcom have no confirmed plans to consider the adoption of DAB+ into the UK to date and similarly there are no planned DAB+ broadcasts in UK by any major broadcaster.

Products which will work across Europe and Australasia are being developed. These sets will incorporate new ‘Profile 1’ technology which will enable multi-standard compatibility (DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM). It is unlikely however that these will be fully enabled from launch. There are royalty payment obligations associated with each of these formats which will need to be built in to the cost of the product, These costs may prove disproportionately expensive if the device is to be used in one region only.

Regards
    Lisa Prosser

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And Germany has junked DAB and adopted DAB+

In reality the Digital UK growth is in Internet and set-box listening, not DAB sets. About 1/3 or more of DAB sets are infrequently used for DAB.

It's a stagnating market where Last Labour Government basically abandoned their aspiration to set a date to close FM Radio. There is now no Analogue Radio switch off planned at all for UK.

People are buying "DAB" sets in Tesco for instance as they have no sensible ones without DAB. Two Thirds of DAB sets are bought for the VHF-FM! So make that 3M not 9M!

Roberts anyway don't make Radios as good as they used to. 6" speakers downgraded to 4". The Roberts "Revival" is poor compared to the 70s and 80s Roberts.

Radio Manufacturers generally are killing Radio by producing tinny plastic boxes with too small loudspeakers.

Anybody getting a DAB radio should make sure it has LW, MW and VHF as well as DAB+, and at very least FM + RDS.

There has also been problems with Sangean Radios "crashing" on DAB+.

Caveat Emptor.

• Advertisement

The reason I contacted roberts to find out if my radio have DAB+
    it is a Stream 202, Internet, Media player, FM with RDS and DAB
    they have not answer my question about what I wanted to know
    So I email them again to make it clear.

It sounds like a "no" to be honest. Except like the "Fonz" saying Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I gave myself a Pure Avanti Flow for Christmas.

Its excellent - FM, DAB, DAB+, Internet Radio, Ipod - and nice quality too.

I'm listening to Nova on DAB on it right now and it sounds great!

A.

I got Roberts reply back
    The following models are DAB and DAB+

Stream205
    Stream83i
    Revival-istream
    Colourstream

Regards
    Lisa Prosser

Is there any DAB+ transmisson in any part of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Souriau wrote: »
    Is there any DAB+ transmisson in any part of Ireland?

Yes, some of the Total Broadcast transmissions in the south east use DAB+.

<DAB+30.jpg Test transmissions are taking place in Ireland that have used DAB+. While there is currently no official policy to switch to DAB+, since there are already DAB+ capable receivers on sale, Wohnort believes it would be prudent, now, to ensure any receiver you purchase is able to receive the new format. As well as future-proofing your investment, it could also be useful should you wish to use your radio abroad. > WOHNORT-DAB Ensembles Worldwide

Mearings wrote: »
    Yes, some of the Total Broadcast transmissions in the south east use DAB+.

Will I be able to pick any DAB+ in Dublin 24?

Will DAB+ will come online after Saorview is launch and the VHF frequency will be free from TV usage
    Or what are the plan for this?
    As DAB is an old format as some say DAB+ is better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Will DAB+ will come online after Saorview is launch and the VHF frequency will be free from TV usage

No known plans for the expansion of digital radio coverage of either flavour. RTÉ have no money and the commercial stations have no interest.

As DAB is an old format as some say DAB+ is better

Hopefully, some sort of Digital One service will appear in NI after DSO in the ROI and the clearance of Band III frequencies and sooner rather than later. It's badly needed.

I gather Digital One have plans to extend the service to the province one the frequencies become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The Cush wrote: »
    No known plans for the expansion of digital radio coverage of either flavour. RTÉ have no money and the commercial stations have no interest.

Commercial operators very much do want to launch commercial DAB multiplexes. The SE trial has proved that DAB/DAB+ can be rolled out economically. In these difficult financial times the government should be encouraging innovation in broadcasting and encouraging indigenous Irish companies to move our broadcasting infrastructure forward rather than stifling it.

It's the BAI who refuse to entertain the idea. I believe it's on their roadmap that in 2013 they will begin to evaluate the possibility of digital radio...pathetic! The boat is already sailing, by the time they've even begun to talk about doing it the boat will have sailed and they'll loose control of regulation of radio as more and more listeners turn to the internet. Existing commercial stations which could have diversified their output on DAB and sold more advertising and created more local jobs in the economy will struggle as listenership drops.

And Comreg can't issue a permanent licence to an operator as the BAI have to approve it.

Which Commercial operators?

How is DAB an example of encouraging Innovation?
    Obsolete (even DAB+)
    Poorer for Mobile than FM
    Dramatically poorer battery life
    The only thing it offers is more channels. But 3/4s of what we have is rubbish.
    Needs x4 to x6 as many TX sites for reliable full personal radio/Mobile coverage as VHF-FM

There is talk of merging BAI and Comreg. Deeper carpet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'm aware of several interested parties and it doesn't take much guesswork to figure out who'd be applying for licences if the regulatory framework permitted it. For the most obvious you wouldn't need to look much further than the only company who's gone as far as to develop and put a multiplex on the air for the last 2 years.

Innovation - The SE trial has used a homegrown broadcast chain which sounds innovative to me anyway. The diversified services which would be available to the listener would also drive creativity in the media market. You only need to look at the likes of Radio Nova and see how they've used internet streaming to see how this can be utilised. So new radio stations and new Irish jobs in R&D and manufacturing - innovation.

Your TX site requirement is a bit excessive. From my tests in the SE when 103.8 is active from the same site as the DAB trial, the DAB coverage almost mirrors the FM coverage when mobile in my car and thats with it 10dB less than the FM.

Tell me how power efficient a smartphone streaming an internet radio station is then. I'd be lucky to get 2 or 3 hours from my iPhone. ;) Then tell me how power efficient 1000 people streaming internet radio from the one cell is taking into consideration the energy usage of the mobile networks, IP networks, handsets, etc. Now DAB looks good. ;)

DAB/DAB+ isn't necessarily a FM replacement in the short term here so I don't really think an argument should be made as to how it directly compares with FM. Comparison with IP is much more appropriate and relevant.
    I think it should be made available for those willing to take the risk to offer diversified content in regional areas. Choice is what people want and if someone wants to run a multiplex then they should be allowed to take that risk.

Internet for Broadcast Radio or TV is crazy. Mobile Internet for Broadcast is absolutely crazy. But DAB won't stop that or replace it.

Broadcast Scheduled programming is vital. Catch up and podcasts are the ultimate death of broadcast and narrowing of people's horizons. Broadcast takes you outside your MP3 playlist.

Niche stations are the death of Broadcasting too. Because it's easily replaced by MP3s on your phone.

No, my estimation of sites is realistic. There is no gradual noise increase and drop to mono with DAB. Listening experience moving through poorer signal spots is considerably worse. You simply can't have "holes" in DAB coverage.

Choice?

Look at Satellite. TV now has 100s free and 100s pay channels and TV is worse in UK than when there were 4 channels.

We need better content on what we have. I can get dozens of Irish FM stations and all the RTE digital stations. I do listen to some RTE but less and less local radio. I am now listening to BBC, French etc stations via satellite and legal FM microtransmitter. In car I use R4 LW more than VHF.

Irish Radio, especially RTE needs to fix the existing content. RTE as a PSB is a disgrace on RTE1 and 2FM. Yet they add all the "digital stations".
    and new Irish jobs in R&D and manufacturing
    Not a single one. Speaking as someone who has been a Professional Broadcast Engineer, done three years R&D for an ISP and has MANY years startup and corporate R&D experience including R&D manager.

An article in today's Sunday Business Post says a new DAB trial service will launch in the above areas in June.
    Media And Marketing

Digital trial to give radio listeners added choice

11 March 2012 by Siobhán Brett

Radio audiences in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway will have twice as many stations available to them this summer, as a result of a new digital audio broadcasting (DAB) radio trial.

The trial service is operated by DB Digital Broadcasting. Joseph King and Dusty Rhodes are the people behind the company.

The article doesn't indicate which radio station will be carried but the trial "will include 1980s, 1990s and dance music stations, a news service and an irish language youth station". Their blog says "some new stations, some existing ones and lots of new stuff displaying on the screen of your DAB receiver".

The DAB/DAB+ trial mux will carry 10 services.

According to the blog on their website they sent out invitations to 40 radio stations and content providers at the end of Jan.
    Invitations Sent But Who’s Invited?
    Jan 28, 2012 // by dusty // DB Blog

This week we’ve sent out letters inviting radio stations and content providers to partake in our DAB/DAB+ trial.

What is interesting is who we wrote to.

We have not sent a blanket letter to every radio station in Ireland and the UK. We’re looking for someone special. We’re specifically looking for stations/content providers who can add something new to digital. Stations that are forward thinking and can see the benefits like broadcasting to new markets or being able to put on a sub-brand service or who want to play with new content to display on the screen of every DAB radio.

A tall order you might think?

Well we’ve come up with forty who we believe fit the bill. Unfortunately there are only ten spaces on the mux.

Interesting days ahead!

http://www.dbdb.ie/invitations-sent-but-whos-invited/

• Advertisement

What would be good would be HiFi audio and good content.

We have been going backwards on both since the 1980s.

Too much processing
    Too low Bitrates on digital
    Poor content value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Thanks for the update The Cush. Good news for those hoping for something other than the RTE services.

Thanks for the update The Cush. Good news for those hoping for something other than the RTE services.

I'd like to see Newstalk, Limerick's Live95FM and Today FM there.

I wonder if they plan to carry the local stations and if they do, in their own licensed areas only or will the same stations be available in the 4 trial areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Well of course the trial that's been on air for 2 years now in the South East run by Total Broadcast has carried the local stations plus others not available in the area like Nova, 4FM, 2XM, UCB, TalkSport, Phantom.

The point of ALL trials though is for technical R&D, not with the primary intention of providing content for the listening public.

alinton wrote: »
    The point of ALL trials though is for technical R&D, not with the primary intention of providing content for the listening public.

I understand that but the technical R&D will give the listener with a DAB radio up to 10 extra services for maybe the next year or two and the convenience of not having to switch between DAB and FM bands when you want to listen to RTÉ, Newstalk or local radio, when driving for example.

The DAB/DAB+

Does that mean an ordinary DAB radio without DAB+ capabilities will receive the service ?

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Does that mean an ordinary DAB radio without DAB+ capabilities will receive the service ?

I assume some services will be DAB others DAB+, if so a DAB+ receiver will be required to receive all services.

alinton wrote: »
    Well of course the trial that's been on air for 2 years now in the South East run by Total Broadcast has carried the local stations plus others not available in the area like Nova, 4FM, 2XM, UCB, TalkSport, Phantom.

Tests, not Trails are for R&D, two different kinds of licence.

Trails are usually to promote the service to Investors, check coverage etc. There is no R&D associated with DAB or DAB+ in Ireland. It's mature technology and off the shelf equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I presume by listeners in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, they mean those able to pick up Three Rock, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill, ( I'm not sure where Galway gets a DAB signal from ) ? In other words, no new transmitters will be fired up for DAB broadcasting for the purposes of this trial ?

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    I presume by listeners in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, they mean those able to pick up Three Rock, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill, ( I'm not sure where Galway gets a DAB signal from ) ? In other words, no new transmitters will be fired up for DAB broadcasting for the purposes of this trial ?

As alinton said above the SE has had a DAB trial for the last 2 years with no RTÉ DAB mux in the area so I assume DB Digital Broadcasting will install their own somewhere in the area.

Advertisement