Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CO2 emission and how to dispute OMSP

• 14-07-2008 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello,

I have just recently bought an English mazda mx-3 1.8v6 from 1996 and trying to proof co2 emmission to avoid the 36% vrt. There is no official documentation about it. According to the web sources it is 220 g/km but none of them is an acceptable source of information for revenue.

English delear did MOT exhaust emission test and I have the following results:

Fast Idle Test:

Co: 0.156%

Natural Idle Test:

CO: 0.111%

How can I convert this co2 emission into g/km???? - see below but

I bought this car for 1400 British Pounds but OMSP on Irish revenue on my mx3 96 is more than 4k euro!!!! That is a total rip off.

Any suggestion how can I dispute the OMSP? I have a print out from hpi.co.uk and usedcars.co.uk both stating the average selling price in UK at around 1700 pounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are those figures for CO or CO2? Either way, I don't think they are acceptable. If you have the manufacturer's handbook, and if it specifies MPG (fuel consumption), then the VRO office can calculate the CO2 figure from that.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Those are carbon-monoxide (CO) measurements and do not correlate to carbon-dioxide (CO2) measurements in any way. AFAIK if you can get the combined urban / extra urban figure for fuel consumption in either MPG or l/100km, as specified by the manufacturer, this will satisfy the revenue. This figure can be converted into CO2 emissions by a simple multiplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Are the co2 emissions on the V5, might not be for a '96 car.

Not wanting to be bad but at the moment a '96 Mx3 cant be worth more than 2k. 32% = 640quid, 36% = 720quid. It'd be way more beneficial to dispute the OMSP of the car rather than dispute its emissions.

Also V6's are traditionally not very efficient so the figures might be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tytlak

Thanks for explaining the diffrence between CO and CO2. Shockingly there is nothing about fuel consumption in the handbook.

I hear your point Ferris. I bought this car for 1400 British Pounds but OMSP on Irish revenue on my mx3 96 is more than 4k euro!!!! That is a total rip off.

Any suggestion how can I dispute the OMSP? I have a print out from hpi.co.uk and usedcars.co.uk both stating the average selling price in UK at around 1700 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

UK selling prive is irelevant. Research prices in Ireland. Afaik, you cannot dispute the price before paying VRT. You have to pay the amount specified, then appeal. The more documentation/evidence you can present in support of your appeal the better. First level appeal is dealt with by Revenue; if unhappy with result, you can then appeal the decision to the Appeal Commissioner (who is independent of Revenue).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

on carzone.ie mx3 is between 3500 - 4000 euro :( luckily there is not that many of them

Well if they're going for 3.5-4k then you've done a good deal by the look of it. In reality though i'd doubt that they're selling for that. It is a 12yr old jap hatchback after all (No offence, my car is now a 12yr old french hatchback).

Here's a selection of lower prices.
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?quicksearch=mx-3&textopt=all&ofr_wan=ofr_wan&priv_trade=priv_trade&o=0

Also what you could do is get a trade in valuation for your car off a Mazda dealer and use that to contest the valuation.

No offence Ferris, I know that I didnot buy mercedes 08 but

MX3 for its age it has a brillant look...I knew what I was buying and this particular car was very well looked after, full service every 6k miles, only one owner, 85k miles in total, in black

I went with a female passanger for a ride in the Wicklow mountains yesterday and she was heavily impressed by the car, certainly I did not mention the price :)

We were passing by some other cars and she said that I had a better car - that was funny beacuse most of them cost way more than my mazda

But looking beyond that - I do think it is s a great car, terribly underestimated, the v6 engine sound is so sweet and it turns superbly, probably the best used cheap coupe on the market

Only time will tell but hopefully I will keep it for a long time, only 18 years to go for a vintage status :):)

Fair play to you, certainly the car is worth more to you than you paid for it which is always a good place to be. Well wear!

I think your best route is to dispute the value tho, secondhand prices are falling on every car, so a dealer will probably give you a low valuation. It will support your case foa a reduced OMSP.

I will do that, I will not let revenue go away with it. Thanks for an advice, btw what car do you drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The SMMT website has data for an MX3 'i' with a 1845cc engine which I presume is the V6, and it comes in at 220g/km. Is this where you got your figures? If so, they also state that in the case of cars first registered before March 2001, this data was received direct from the manufacturer. If the revenue aren't prepared to accept this, perhaps you could contact the SMMT and ask if they can provide a copy of the correspondance from the manufacturer.

got that one too. Unfortunately smmt is not listed as an aproved website by revenue but what the heck...if they like it, I will save 300 euros.

...and then a long battle to reduce omsp awaits me...

Advertisement