Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opel Astra Fix in North Dublin

Options
  • 08-07-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi Guys,
    So I have a '99 Astra that I got serviced prior to sale in an Opel dealer... low mileage (47K), but came back with a list of problems including:
    - water leak
    - leak in the power steering fluid
    - replace brake pads
    - something about rods

They're the main things, a few other minor problems. Now my plan was just to service it and sell it, but turns out a few of these are serious issues so i dont want to sell it privately.

Now if I get the Opel dealer to do it, he says he'll charge me nearly the value of the car to fix it... seems a lot for just a few leaks, although he did say that if I went to a mechanic, it wouldn't cost that much.

Anyone know a reliable (Opel) mechanic that will be able to fix these things for me at a reasonable cost?.. or at least one I could show the list of items to and get a reasonable quote?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Where are you situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Not to be rude but thats alot of issues with a car that has low mileage.

I have a 99 Astra as well and dont have half those problems and my car has 122k miles on it.

Anyway, change the brake pads your self, remember to wear gloves and DO NOT breath in the brake dust.

Water Leak should just mean replacing the pipe where the leak is.

Rods, Steering rods? leaking power steering fluids might be connected.

You can not sell a car privately knowing it has faults. Go to an independant garage to get them fixed. Price around and get a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maperoo

Sorry... I'm in Dublin... located on the North Side, Artane.

...and I dont think you're being rude at all kluivert... I was surprised with the list to be honest, because the engine drives fine. About selling it privately, that's exactly why I'm trying to get it fixed first. The only alternative is trade it in for between 1-1,500k.

What I'm looking for is a suggestion for a trusted mechanic that wont cost as much as the Opel delaer... the power steering issue does seem to be the more complicated one alright.

Thanks,
    alan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Replacing a steering rack in one of those is not a very nice job i havent done one in a few years but i remember it took a good bit of time.

The other jobs a trivial enough your steering rack is the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

maperoo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    So I have a '99 Astra that I got serviced prior to sale in an Opel dealer... low mileage (47K), but came back with a list of problems including:
    - water leak
    - leak in the power steering fluid
    - replace brake pads
    - something about rods

They're the main things, a few other minor problems. Now my plan was just to service it and sell it, but turns out a few of these are serious issues so i dont want to sell it privately.

Now if I get the Opel dealer to do it, he says he'll charge me nearly the value of the car to fix it... seems a lot for just a few leaks, although he did say that if I went to a mechanic, it wouldn't cost that much.

Anyone know a reliable (Opel) mechanic that will be able to fix these things for me at a reasonable cost?.. or at least one I could show the list of items to and get a reasonable quote?

Thanks

You sure they didn't say "track rods"? Not a big job, and the sort of thing that Advance Pitstop do every day. Power steering fluid leak might be no more than a slight weep on the shaft seal -- not unusual in older cars and not really a problem. As previous poster advised, change the brake pads yourself. It's easy to do and you can get the pads at a reasonable price from any autofactor, or again, get someone like Advance Pitstop top do it. They'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than a main dealer.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    So I'm back home an have the full list in front of me. It's:
    - New Steering rack as it is starting to leak
    - New thermostat housing and coolant
    - Two new track rod ends
    Any thoughts on cost and a reliable mechanic around dublin?
    Thanks,
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Sorry... I'm in Dublin... located on the North Side, Artane.

The motorfactors beside the goblet pub on the malahide road have a garage round back theres some back lane entrance via a lane not sure where it is. My gf's family use him seems reasonable for various things like timing belts,etc.

thanks guys,
    So any ideas how much what i have listed there should roughly cost?
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Well done to the garage for spotting these items.

Opel garage I use to go to where great and VFM but they done anything else bar a service on the car.

I asked them to change the brake fluid on two service intervals, never done, brake fluid is now four years old. So well done for them advising you.

Not sure about costs, google steering rack etc to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Why get an Opel dealer?
    Just get an independent dealer to use Opel parts and save 100s....
    (NOte to new car owners, under a new European competition directive taking this approach does not void your warrenty)

Another tip, I live in NCD - swords. I take my car to Ashbourne in Meath and save 100Euro a servce. The Garage is ashbourne auto clinic very sound, they even fixed my wiper motor without me asking or charging me....

http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSearch.ds?detailsListingId=IE_30420056_9999_1001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Hi folks,
    So I'm back home an have the full list in front of me. It's:
    - New Steering rack as it is starting to leak
    - New thermostat housing and coolant
    - Two new track rod ends
    Any thoughts on cost and a reliable mechanic around dublin?
    Thanks,
    Alan

I just rang Traynors in the north for the laugh,

Power steering rack including tie bars, track rods and ball joints, £60 and delivered to dublin for free.
    I assume they could do the thermostat housing for like £10
    New thermostat from motor factors, €15
    Coolant, €10

Thats around €120 for the parts and labour for a decent mechanic shouldnt cost more than €200. Whoever does the job, make sure they "lock" the steering before the drop out the old rack or even slightly turning the wheel will break the clock spring so you'll have no horn or airbag.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the input... The reason they found all the stuff is I went to the Opel Dealer to get the full service prior to selling it myself. So I image they were pretty thorough. Their quote for the work listed was around 3-3.5K... sure the car's not even worth that!

Thanks Guys for the feedback... just thought I'd give you a quick update... brought it to another mechanic and turns out it doesn't need any of that major work at all... just 3 new tyres and break pads. ART6 was spot on with the steering rack problem... apparently some slight 'sweating', but no need for replacement, and there was no water leak and the track rods were perfect. The mechanic i brought it to came very highly recommended and they were pretty amazed at the list of work the dealer had come up with, and even more amazed that they had omitted to include the timing belt which should be replaced after 40K on an Opel Astra.

In any case, thx a lot for the input guys.. be careful out there! hopefully mine'll last as long as kluivert's!

Advertisement