Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Window/Joinery providers

• 16-10-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all

Firstly i apologise in advance i know this subject has been covered on numerous occasions.

I am building a new home in Mayo i need to order windows as soon as but i need opinions off people with experience.(that's where ye come in)

My house has a lot of large windows to the front of the house. (East facing)
    One of the windows goes from the roof to the ground and i have a 3 metre window in a sitting room.
    I am conscious of keeping the house as airtight as i can.

I have priced Senator, Grady's, Munster and a few other locals.
    So far its down to Munster and Grady's (senator are 2k dearer)
    Munster offered me a 90mm window in triple glazing and told me to go casement window for an airtight house. Also i have to reduce the 3m window to 2.5m as they couldn't supply a single pane of glass that big..

Grady's offered me a triple glazed window and told me to go for casement for an airtight house.
    The 3m window would have to be reduce alot more than 2.5m.

Why is there such a difference in suppliers opinions!!
    I am having a final meeting with the two suppliers to make a decision.

Basically what i want from you good people is to advise me of who you think is the best suppliers & as i am dumb to the whole u value & passiv housing can you give me info on this too.
    Finally i have heard about windows that are filled with a gas in between the panes that are meant to be excellent but i don't know enough about them.
    My intention is to go back to Grady's and Munster full of questions and then make a decision.
    Also i have relations living in Cork that have put Grady windows in and warned me off Munster...is this strange considering Munster is a Cork based company??!!

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Moved - more likely to find some practical advice her than in the Sustainability forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Googling both companies, especially posts on forums will give an insight.

You get what you pay for generally.

Weatherglaze are another large company you could look at. Have a look at some smaller companies also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cornaveagh14

Macha wrote: »
    Moved - more likely to find some practical advice her than in the Sustainability forum :)

Im new to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Just seen you from mayo.

My windows came not to far from you in donegal. I got them through a small local supplier in limerick.

They obviously don't make them so they got them then from Framesdirect. I assume framesdirect don't deal direct with the end consumer so you would need to contact them for the closest company to you that they supply to.

Might be an option for you.

Advertisement