Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Broadband/Fibre

• 15-10-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about when Sky may provide Fibre Broadand?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I was told June 2013 then end of 2013 the early 2014, left them for 100/20 Vodafone in April and haven't looked back since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Yes, I do know what Sky have done. Just wanted to see if one could get a bit.

One customer did pose the question on their (Sky) website. However, got no response.

As you are probably aware the separate forum to Ireland closed and shortly before that they also closed any questioning of the attitude to fibre.

Sky's website as far I can see really useless to us here in Ireland.

Some time ago Silicon Republic did report that Sky wanted to "piggyback" on Vodafone and the ESB. So much for Sky testing their Fibre Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

The first batch of the VDSL2 contracts expire on the 20th of November, as that date will mark exactly 18 months since Eircom launched VDSL2. Someone suggested that Sky don't want to pay the installation fees for VDSL2 customers.

This is just speculation, though. No-one but Sky knows what happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sky are a bunch of shysters when it comes to communicating with their Irish bb customers. They have repeatedly refused to give a firm date of launch of their (now infamous) skyfibre. Hell, they've even closed down the threads querying this issue on their own forums. Shame on you, Sky:mad::mad::mad:. I too have left them for bb and was lucky enough to get on the Eircom F & F tarriff for efibre.:)

I have been with Sky from the very start. Firstly when the arrived with Satellite and then got in on the ground testing their BB.

As has been said they closed every thing down and pinned their website regarding Fibre. I was threatened with being suspended from the Forum because of the number of postings on Fibre.

Sky, a few months ago closed the Irish Section on their website.

One person has asked about Fibre and it has gone unanswered. On new site.

From the amount of time that Sky is "trailing" their Fibre. It would appear that Fibre from Sky is in the distant future.

Would look liked Sky have surely lost their market share on Phone and Broadband.

Next question is how long will they stay in the market.

UTV another small player has already pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Surprised you guys haven't heard the news already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sky are a bunch of shysters when it comes to communicating with their Irish bb customers. They have repeatedly refused to give a firm date of launch of their (now infamous) skyfibre. Hell, they've even closed down the threads querying this issue on their own forums. Shame on you, Sky:mad::mad::mad:. I too have left them for bb and was lucky enough to get on the Eircom F & F tarriff for efibre.:)

Same here. F&F is great :)

Surprised you guys haven't heard the news already..

What news ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

What news?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I cant say but normally this type of news doesnt take long to turn up on boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

airuser wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about when Sky may provide Fibre Broadand?

It'll probably be a couple of days after I switch.

I cant say but normally this type of news doesnt take long to turn up on boards :D

Why not?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've heard rumours that Sky are currently trailing FTTC/VDSL (Eircom reseller) with some customers at the moment.

However the info is second hand and given how long Sky have been dragging their feet on this so far, I hadn't mentioned it here and I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Is it good news or bad news?

bk wrote: »
    I've heard rumours that Sky are currently trailing FTTC/VDSL (Eircom reseller) with some customers at the moment.

However the info is second hand and given how long Sky have been dragging their feet on this so far, I hadn't mentioned it here and I'll believe it when I see it!

Yes, Sky have been dragging their feet. What is most disturbing is the fact that Sky pinned their forum on the matter. Shortly after closed their Irish Section of their Community Forum.

What I cannot understand is shay does have to trail

Is it good news or bad news?

very good imo

bk wrote: »

The rumours are true

Advertisement