Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

I know its great that they are doing this venture. But when they announced the list of towns that will get this broadband speed unfortunately only 3 towns in Co. Wexford , were included Wexford, Enniscorthy, & Gorey. New Ross was not on that list .although e-Fibre broadband is available in New Ross, I can not get it as I am too far from the exchange & an e- fibre cabinet which is 3 miles away. I can only get the ordinary broadband and my speed is 2.5Mbs, but I suppose I am lucky to get it at all. I know the government have announced the National Broadband Plan so hopefully we might get some class of decent broadband with that. Until then I can only dream about e fibre......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    B.K, correct me if i am wrong, but wouldn't Gpon network limit the full 1GB bandwidth as it is shared with other customers? How would this compare with single fibre links for every customer? Would traffic/routing be any different

GPON is 2.488 Gb/s of downstream bandwidth, and 1.244 Gb/s upstream shared with the 32 homes *

10GPON is 10 G/s downstream and 2.5 G/s upstream shared with 32 homes. *

* Note that strictly speaking it can be shared with a higher number of homes, 64 or 128.

We aren't certain what Eircom are using. The recent video on the Eircom wholesale site seems to suggest GPON at 32 homes. But no guarantee they don't do 64 homes at some places.

Eircom has also mentioned they can upgrade it to 10GPON and 40GPON in future. 10GPON is already standardised, while 40GPON is in the works.

So we aren't certain are they currently rolling out 10GPON or just GPON with future potential for 10GPON upgrades.

Obviously P2P isn't shared, so you wouldn't have any congestion between the exchange and the premises. However you would still have congestion from the exchange backhaul. P2P certainly has greater flexibility, but I wouldn't expect it to make much real world difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What's your point here? Armoured cables will still take up a small proportion of the space that existing copper cabling would.

On a related note, I remember reading before that BT claimed PTP fibre would only cost 10% more than a GPON deployment but I can't find access to those claims now.

My point is that rodents nibbling on wires is a universal problem, not an eircom one. Ireland actually has relatively mild mannered wildlife. The biggest issue here tends to be flooding of ducts and water ingress which is something that's very bad for copper but probably wouldn't worry fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

bk wrote: »
    GPON is 2.488 Gb/s of downstream bandwidth, and 1.244 Gb/s upstream shared with the 32 homes *

10GPON is 10 G/s downstream and 2.5 G/s upstream shared with 32 homes. *

* Note that strictly speaking it can be shared with a higher number of homes, 64 or 128.

We aren't certain what Eircom are using. The recent video on the Eircom wholesale site seems to suggest GPON at 32 homes. But no guarantee they don't do 64 homes at some places.

Eircom has also mentioned they can upgrade it to 10GPON and 40GPON in future. 10GPON is already standardised, while 40GPON is in the works.

So we aren't certain are they currently rolling out 10GPON or just GPON with future potential for 10GPON upgrades.

Obviously P2P isn't shared, so you wouldn't have any congestion between the exchange and the premises. However you would still have congestion from the exchange backhaul. P2P certainly has greater flexibility, but I wouldn't expect it to make much real world difference.

My apologies for not following up on the thread, so i might have missed the the answer to the following question i am about to ask, but would Vodafone/Esb also incorporate Gpon technology to their future gigabit rollout? Or are they going with P2P?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SpaceTime wrote: »
    My point is that rodents nibbling on wires is a universal problem, not an eircom one. Ireland actually has relatively mild mannered wildlife. The biggest issue here tends to be flooding of ducts and water ingress which is something that's very bad for copper but probably wouldn't worry fibre.
    Everybody knows that rodents nibbling on wires is a problem in most parts of the world. If armoured cables are used, it wouldn't be that big a deal but certainly more fibre cables could be deployed within existing ducts if armouring wasn't needed.
    bk wrote:
    But that only works out if you remove the copper first to make space for the fiber.
    Why is that actually the case? Having looked at eircom ducts before, there's often plenty of space along with the existing copper cabling. A 25mm diameter cable, allowing for at least an extra 3mm of covering/shielding around the bundle, could still support 1000 fibre strands. That's the same as a 50-pair steel-cladded direct burial cable or a little smaller than a 100-pair CW1128 non-armoured cable.
    You would also need 644 Optical Line Terminals (OLT) in the exchange, instead of just 24 for GPON.
    There'll be up to 644 ONTs anyway. And the price of an OLT for a dedicated fibre strand will undoubtedly be lower than a GPON OLT. More importantly, no cabinet would even serve as many as 644 pairs and each subscriber would be guaranteed the same level of contention, rather than some customers sharing a fibre strand with 7 other customers while others share it with up to 31.

Finally, a GPON arrangement is still possible with a dedicated fibre from a centralised point to every home - just use one OLT for every 30 fibre strands and have a single 32-way splitter located in the exchange beside each OLT. LLU can happen in the same way, just move a fibre strand from one splitter to another splitter that's served by a competitor's OLT.

Are ESB/Vodafone using GPON equipment that's upgradeable to 10GPON?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dunno if anyone knows much about the EFernando Sour Toupee stuff, keeping their cards very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

if you want to stay up to date from an official source:
    Between now and 14th May we will be releasing more information through an ESB and Vodafone Joint Venture Twitter Account: poweredby_light

URL: https://twitter.com/poweredby_light?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ukoda wrote: »
    if you want to stay up to date from an official source:

URL: https://twitter.com/poweredby_light?lang=en

I swear my hands are above the blankets Cheers Ukoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    My apologies for not following up on the thread, so i might have missed the the answer to the following question i am about to ask, but would Vodafone/Esb also incorporate Gpon technology to their future gigabit rollout? Or are they going with P2P?

They're using GPON.

They've said they'll be doing 1gb/s from launch, and that they can upgrade to 10gb/s in the future.

The can upgrade to 10gb/s might have been me basing that on gpon 1 being easily upgradable to 2.

tweeted them to ask about rollout updates and so on they have replied with :- The first six towns will be announced in May. The remaining towns in phase one roll out will be announced at a later stage.

(Cmon Blackrock cork )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

"First there was dial-up, then there was broadband, then came fibre, now there’s light." So wait, it's not fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dbit wrote: »
    The first six towns will be announced in May.

well one of them will be Cavan presumably.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"First there was dial-up, then there was broadband, then came fibre, now there’s light." So wait, it's not fibre?

Yeah, I was wondering about that, seeing as how fibre is light!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Presumably it's a play on words referencing "light" as it's coming in from your power lines, but yeah in essence it's actually fibre....!

Yeah, I was wondering about that, seeing as how fibre is light!!

And the earth was without form, and void (AKA Eircom); and darkness was upon the face of the Earth. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the Earth.
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.(ESB vodafone)
    And God saw the light, and it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.(No pole/duct access for Eircom)
    fiber is not light you are correct. Nor is glass light.

latest?cb=20141218052017

Maybe they plan to have it come in via a plug, that'd be fancy.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Maybe they plan to have it come in via a plug, that'd be fancy.

And the funny part is they did actually try that , FAIL. Still Im hanging to see the first 6 towns , c'mon Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Come on Balbriggan :P says he who already has an awesome 100m/bit connection!

Praetorian wrote: »
    Come on Balbriggan :P says he who already has an awesome 100m/bit connection!

Greedy so and so .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Any idea what the monthly subscription of this to home setup is in Cavan? Or are they getting it free as it's a trial or something?

Would it be in the usual 35-50 range I wonder...!

https://t.co/Dwq5GO90mQ im just going to have to keep on making them put the lotion in the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

dbit wrote: »
    https://t.co/Dwq5GO90mQ im just going to have to keep on making them put the lotion in the basket.

I was just about to post that! :P

I saw the tweet from them with the vid yesterday ... however on closer inspection the frickin' video is from July 2014!!!! They're Soooo far behind Eircom now in the media game, it's a joke. :(

Put your lotion and notions away dbit! ;):D:pac:

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I was just about to post that! :P

I saw the tweet from them with the vid yesterday ... however on closer inspection the frickin' video is from July 2014!!!! They're Soooo far behind Eircom now in the media game, it's a joke. :(

Put your lotion and notions away dbit! ;):D:pac:

Lershun in De Burshkit, is how its pronounced, for that true fear factor .

lol, "starting 2014"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm going to beat dbit!!! :D

Their tweet machine has at least caught up ... a bit ... though it is now only a month behind. This was posted a short while ago.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I'm going to beat dbit!!! :D

Their tweet machine has at least caught up ... a bit ... though it is now only a month behind. This was posted a short while ago.

I do believe someone else beat us to that one possibly ukoda ? BK ? ED? One of the Iron hammers anyway.

It's almost like they're googling themselves.

Probably have a Jobridge intern in charge of social media :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Advertisement