Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

lisij wrote: »
    never mind, figured it out myself

Sooo..... Put your details here for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

RangeR wrote: »
    Sooo..... Put your details here for others?

well,
    choose any of the Ethernet connections at the back of ur zyxel (mine on 1) connect it to ur Extreme to WAN connection
    go in to your modem (192.168.1.254) browse to:
    network settings -> Broadband -> add new Wan Interface

Tick on Active
    Mode as bridge
    click apply

on your router (ex Airport extreme) just follow the automatic set up, and when it gets to ip address select the default one (ex 192.168.0.1), update your settings on ur extreme, disable wireless on zyxel so that both would not interfere with each other and presto
    also my MTU was set to 1484 (network settings-broadband-vdsl-modify-scroll to the end-MTU size 1484)
    so far so good, hope it helps to anyone

well,
    choose any of the Ethernet connections at the back of ur zyxel (mine on 1) connect it to ur Extreme to WAN connection
    go in to your modem (192.168.1.254) browse to:
    network settings -> Broadband -> add new Wan Interface

Tick on Active
    Mode as bridge
    click apply

on your router (ex Airport extreme) just follow the automatic set up, and when it gets to ip address select the default one (ex 192.168.0.1), update your settings on ur extreme, disable wireless on zyxel so that both would not interfere with each other and presto
    also my MTU was set to 1484 (network settings-broadband-vdsl-modify-scroll to the end-MTU size 1484)
    so far so good, hope it helps to anyone

now, encountered an error as everyone has, if you accidently reboot the modem (f1000) it causes a restart loop, which is cured only by resetting the modem, but applied the above settings back and im in bridge mode again , hope Eircom will fix the restart looping

I posted earlier. If you REMOVE the DSL line, then configure bridge mode, then re-connect the DSL line, it should work post reboot.

I have not tested this but heard it from an engineer.

Let me know how that works for you.

RangeR wrote: »
    I posted earlier. If you REMOVE the DSL line, then configure bridge mode, then re-connect the DSL line, it should work post reboot.

I have not tested this but heard it from an engineer.

Let me know how that works for you.

will try this out next time ill "Accidently" reboot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

diarmaidol wrote: »
    OK , I think I have it mostly figured out. Maybe some others with the F1000 modem from Eircom and the same issue with try this and let me know if it fixes the issue.

The Issue I believe is related to bad default QoS classifiers on the router.

They are adding VLAN 10 to packets classified. This might be necessary to preserve the .1p bits set by the QoS config however it seems to be breaking the wired/wireless bridge.

My solution, which is only one possible solution, was to remove this from the Default Class.

Network Setting > Qos > Class Setup

Edit the Default Classifier , in "Step 3" set vlanID to "Unchange" from 10

Now , at this point DNS on the router breaks ... instead of trying to fix this is easier for me at least to just use a different DNS server.

Network Setting > Home Network > LAN Setup

DNS Values : change this to From ISP , or static if you want to roll with different DNS.

At this point you should have full function bridging between wireless and wired LAN's and all devices should be able to connect to the Internet.

This seems to work for me. There are probably other solutions.

In fairness I don't think the F1000 is a bad router. I just don't think Eircom fully tested the default config on the latest firmware.

Thanks, this fixed the wired/wireless problem for me and without having to change DNS settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Does anyone have any news on the new 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 Firmware, that has been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do a reset(not reboot) and it'll be auto-applied to your F1000. Or just wait for it to patch over the next few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Does anyone have any news on the new 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 Firmware, that has been released?

Just logged in to mine - looks like mine has been upgraded already.

Mine is still on A.3
    Mine is still crashing every 10 days

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

1.00(AAHA.4)D0 is there now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Langer wrote: »

Me too. I guess that we will have to wait 10 days to see if the modem lockup bug is fixed.

wonderfull just f... wonderfull Eircom, you done it again, while everything worked fine, you came up with this stupid firmware, no i dont have internet access, reseting didnt helped, seems router cannot ubtain ipv4 address, any ideas people?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

wonderfull just f... wonderfull Eircom, you done it again, while everything worked fine, you came up with this stupid firmware, no i dont have internet access, reseting didnt helped, seems router cannot ubtain ipv4 address, any ideas people?

the 1.00(aaha.4)do firmware fixes a few bugs

9 Day disconnection fix
    Mac Fix
    Disables IPV6 in default setup
    Enables logging
    Lan Isolation fix
    IPTV QOS settings

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roc13x

Eircom posted 1.00(aaha.4)b2 on their download server yesterday (http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000-Firmware/Firmware/). Is this any different from 1.00(aaha.4)d0 that people are seeing on their routers? I have taken mine out of bridge mode and reset it fully multiple times, but it remained on aaha.3, so I manually uploaded the b2 file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

9 Day disconnection fix
    Mac Fix
    Enables logging
    Lan Isolation fix
    IPTV QOS settings

Must have fixed port forwarding too as it's mysteriously started worked for me!:pac:

roc13x wrote: »
    Eircom posted 1.00(aaha.4)b2 on their download server yesterday (http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000-Firmware/Firmware/). Is this any different from 1.00(aaha.4)d0 that people are seeing on their routers? I have taken mine out of bridge mode and reset it fully multiple times, but it remained on aaha.3, so I manually uploaded the b2 file.

1.00(aaha.4)b2 was the test firmware used to test the above fixes

1.00(aaha.4)do is the lasted firmware

there is actually no difference in them except for the name. it was renamed for the auto update system

the auto update system cannot update modems when they are bridged.

call into their support centre and have the modem out of bridge modem when u call... they can manually push the 1.00(aaha.4)do firmware for you then u can put it back in bridge mode

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Langer wrote: »

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

9 Day disconnection fix
    Mac Fix
    Enables logging
    Lan Isolation fix
    IPTV QOS settings

A bog-trotter here!
    Could you enlarge on the Mac Fix aspect of the latest eircom firmware?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Nforce wrote: »
    Must have fixed port forwarding too as it's mysteriously started worked for me!:pac:

Strange, i have manually updated to AAHa4b2 (no auto update to do for me), but still no working port forwarding.

• Advertisement

ainiseoir wrote: »
    A bog-trotter here!
    Could you enlarge on the Mac Fix aspect of the latest eircom firmware?
    Thank you.

on macs with 10.6.8 or older ipv6 wont map correctly

btw apple are offering a free upgrade to mac osx 10.9 for any mac that can run 10.6.8 or higher http://www.apple.com/osx/

on the 1.00(aaha.4)do/b2 firmwares ipv6 is disabled on the modem

all mac owners afflicted by the mac freezing bug needs to do is turn off the modem

then reboot your mac... go to cmd > system preferences > network

this is important

left click once on airport/wifi then click on advanced

click on tcp/ip tab

set configure ipv6 from auto to OFF

click ok and apply

next left click on ethernet (repeat this step if you have more than one ethernet port)

click on advanced

then tcp/ip tab

then set configure ipv6 from auto to OFF

click ok and apply

reboot mac and turn on modem

connect as normal and your mac wont freeze

download the free upgrade to 10.9 if your mac can take it while it is free (mac osx 10.7 or higher can map ipv6 properly)

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

macs that can run osx 10.9 (mavericks)

Mac models compatible with OS X Mavericks

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickOR

Has anyone had any real success using the F1000s USB port with an external drive as a networked media drive yet? All I've seen on this thread so far are issues. If anyone has cracked it what sort of set-up do you have? I have a pc laptop, macbook pro and DLNA compatible TV on a home network and would like to access the drive from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

MickOR wrote: »
    Has anyone had any real success using the F1000s USB port with an external drive as a networked media drive yet? All I've seen on this thread so far are issues. If anyone has cracked it what sort of set-up do you have? I have a pc laptop, macbook pro and DLNA compatible TV on a home network and would like to access the drive from all.

I have a 1tb drive connected up and working successfully as a networked drive (not as a media drive). I can access it over sftp and map it on windows. I use it daily with OpenElec for streaming video

I tried to give instructions from here on:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86609237&postcount=81 , hope they're of help

Firmware: 1.00(AAHA.4)D0

Great stuff, thanks @enctyptix. Is your 1tb drive usb powered or does it have it's own power supply? Is OpenElec running through XBMC? ...interesting, I've been looking into getting one of the new android TV sticks to run XBMC from my TV. If I could get that going with my movies/pics/music on a networked drive through the router I'd be a very happy man!

Its a portable drive so its usb powered. openelec contains xbmc and once i knew the network drive was working it only took a little setup on xbmc.

if you were thinking of getting a stick like that then its possible you could plug the drive straight into the tv - depending on what formats it plays etc

I could have the drive attached to the android stick/tv but then I'd only be able to read it through the sticks OS as far as I know (maybe I'm wrong). I'd like to have the drive connected to the router so i can download direct to it from either of the two laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

I could have the drive attached to the android stick/tv but then I'd only be able to read it through the sticks OS as far as I know (maybe I'm wrong). I'd like to have the drive connected to the router so i can download direct to it from either of the two laptops

Did you try that usb drive MickOR? I tried the instructions before but i'm just denied accessing the drive from the ip adress. As for the android stick/mini pc.. Go quad core with ethernet port. If you attach the hard drive and install bubble upnp you can make the android device act as a media server, much like your phone can share with other devices on the lan.

mrqpr wrote: »
    Did you try that usb drive MickOR? I tried the instructions before but i'm just denied accessing the drive from the ip adress. As for the android stick/mini pc.. Go quad core with ethernet port. If you attach the hard drive and install bubble upnp you can make the android device act as a media server, much like your phone can share with other devices on the lan.

Haven't tried the usb drive yet, will give it a shot tonight and let you know how I got on. I might have to wait until I get another drive because I'm not sure if the two I have are formatted to FAT32 which is a requirement as fas as I know.

Do you have an android tv stick/box yourself, what make? My problem is that my router is in the hall, TV in the sitting room so can't tv stick/box direct to router and TV. Think I might try a powerline adaptor to get ethernet from hall to sitting room and then go from that to android box to tv.

Haven't tried the usb drive yet, will give it a shot tonight and let you know how I got on. I might have to wait until I get another drive because I'm not sure if the two I have are formatted to FAT32 which is a requirement as fas as I know.

Do you have an android tv stick/box yourself, what make? My problem is that my router is in the hall, TV in the sitting room so can't tv stick/box direct to router and TV. Think I might try a powerline adaptor to get ethernet from hall to sitting room and then go from that to android box to tv.

The drive I have connected to the modem is formatted NTFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

I'm looking at getting something like this. I would advise against anything lower than quad core as the initial batch of android mini pc's/tv boxes were quite poor, even some of the dual core ones. I'm not concerned with the device being too small as the larger units will usually have more ports, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Android-1-8GHz-Output-HI718/dp/B00E7OSRBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384339265&sr=8-2&keywords=quad+core+android+mini+pc

I would advise using the Ethernet ports (with the power-line adapters as you've mentioned) if you want to be able to handle hd streaming. Also the speed of online content will be faster too. Wireless is still quite flakey, depending on the quality of you router and the traffic on your lan.

It's a shame about the router issues for creating the usb file share. My admin console just wont allow me to name a share and point it to the usb drive. The android box combined with the hard drive looks the best bet (in terms of cost) to serve the other devices on the network as well as providing smart functionality for my dumb tv in the living room. They look better than the roku boxes, etc, due to the vast array of (mostly free) android apps available too.

Advertisement