Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

air rifles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

slug gun wrote: »
    I've not had much luck shooting a springer off a rest or bipod...where would you even put it on a '97 being an underlever. I find shooting them with the slightest hold gives best results. The following link might be hehpful when shooting a spring gun.

Here a hw97k with a harris bipod...i might get one will be handy in the future! :)

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/Weihrauch-HW-97-K-gun-for-sale-gs58782.aspx

Need a little help im 16 and a bit stuck on my license have landowners just a few little things heres the forums:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA1%202012%20.pdf

Im getting a weihrauch hw97k .22 for hunting and vermin control i need help on section 2.5- Proof of Competence - in Possession, Use and Carriage of Firearm ( If this is a first time application, please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carriage of firearms) have no idea what it is or what to say.

and also section 4.2 Reason why this Type of Firearm is required.(This firearm will be used for: (Tick √ appropriate box(es)) (M)
    Hunting Target shooting at Authorised Range Other (Specify, e.g. Clay Pigeon, Vermin Control, etc)
    Please explain, on a Separate Sheet, why this specific type of firearm is required.)

All help much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1shot16 wrote: »
    Need a little help im 16 and a bit stuck on my license have landowners just a few little things heres the forums:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA1%202012%20.pdf

Im getting a weihrauch hw97k .22 for hunting and vermin control i need help on section 2.5- Proof of Competence - in Possession, Use and Carriage of Firearm ( If this is a first time application, please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carriage of firearms) have no idea what it is or what to say.

and also section 4.2 Reason why this Type of Firearm is required.(This firearm will be used for: (Tick √ appropriate box(es)) (M)
    Hunting Target shooting at Authorised Range Other (Specify, e.g. Clay Pigeon, Vermin Control, etc)
    Please explain, on a Separate Sheet, why this specific type of firearm is required.)

All help much appreciated! :)

Have you done your safety/competency course? If you have then include proof in section 2.5.

For Section 4.2; I presume you'll be shooting rabbits with the air rifle, so tick other and write out a note stating you want the rifle to shoot rabbits.

Blay wrote: »
    Have you done your safety/competency course? If you have then include proof in section 2.5.

For Section 4.2; I presume you'll be shooting rabbits with the air rifle, so tick other and write out a note stating you want the rifle to shoot rabbits.

Done it :) Ill get a photocopy and send it in!

For 4.2 its say you is this specific type of firearm is required...why are they asking me this bit too much i think!Its for rabbits and rats ill say i suppose :)

You can also shoot rats..but not birds with a rifle ive been told!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For future reference don't post the same thing over multiple threads. It confuses the matter and only has repeating posts in numerous threads.

As for them asking for the info as a "bit much". Gun ownership is a privilege, not an entitlement. So if you want it answer what you are asked. I've seen many lads with the "i'm not telling them that" or my favorite "tell them as little as possible" attitude who now have no gun whereas a simply answer would have avoided it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    As for them asking for the info as a "bit much". Gun ownership is a privilege, not an entitlement. So if you want it answer what you are asked. I've seen many lads with the "i'm not telling them that" or my favorite "tell them as little as possible" attitude who now have no gun whereas a simply answer would have avoided it.

Any advice on what to say its manly for hunting and vermin control :)

I mean here they ask u everything in america u can walk out with of a gun shop with handguns,rifles and shotguns....id rather it be strict though too many gun related deaths there and i think most people will agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

Yes, I believe a mass produced factory spring piston air rifle can benefit from a tune…this doesn’t necessarily mean trying to squeeze every last drop of power from it though!

Here’s a list of considerations,
    Polishing and deburring all tool marks/sharp edges from internal parts
    Reassembling with higher quality lubes/tar in the right places!
    Swapping out the original factory spring, spring guide, piston washer etc with upgraded custom parts
    Looking at the static compression ratio, with a view to modifying the swept volume and transfer port dimensions.

I’ve just finished working on a 1966 Weihrauch HW55T, that needed some TLC. Here’s basically what I did:

Stripped and degreased all internal parts and polished cocking slot and cocking shoe.
    Fitted a new spring, leather washer and Delrin guide. See first pic as to sorry state of original spring & washer.
    Installed “buttons” (small discs) on the rear skirt of the piston to remove metal to metal contact, during cocking and firing.
    Applied new moly grease and tar on piston and spring.
    Rebuilt trigger mechanism after relubing with light machine oil. Trigger unit had nearly seized with old grease drying out and hardening.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/SLUG22/library/HW55T?page=1

Slug

Sounds like you would need a degree in engineering to tune a springer lol...that looks like a really nice rifle though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

My new .22 Hw100KT is finally in the Dealers, whats the turn around like these days for licenses?
    I've had a fullbore rifle and pistol before so there shouldn't be any hassle at my end.

I have a 6-24x56 Hawke sidewinder ready to be fitted with some high mounts.

I'm also looking for a diving cylinder for it ( Have access to a diving compressor ) and I need some ammo too, any recommendations?

Is there anything else I am missing that I might need?

murph226 wrote: »
    I need some ammo too, any recommendations

JSB Match Diabolo are the way to go!Them fancy pointed tips and other ones arent as accurate as the jsb exact!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160820413125?var=460078318646&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_711wt_1037

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Would it be worth putting a bipod on my hw97k .22 heard bipods and springers dont go well together!

Nope - bipods won't work with a springer. In fact resting them on anything but your hand won't work. They need that "intuitive damper" that is your slightly grip in order to stay on target until the round leaves the barrel.
    Would make a cracking bell target rifle! But image trying to explain concept of shooting old airguns in the back of the pub whilst enjoying a pint to your Super or the Range Inspector!!:D:D:D:D:D

Tis gas to think of where were at now from where we were. Bell shooting wasn't banned on any sort of safety grounds either - it was the church! Competitions were regularly scheduled on Sundays and so they kept people out of mass. :rolleyes:
    Any advice on what to say its manly for hunting and vermin control :)

Just answer the questions honestly - if you need it for pest control then you'll have ground to use it on and a letter stating the same. If your need is target related then you'll be in a club and will have a proof of membership to show with it.

Everything else is just yes, no and sign here.
    My new .22 Hw100KT is finally in the Dealers, whats the turn around like these days for licenses?
    I've had a fullbore rifle and pistol before so there shouldn't be any hassle at my end.

I have a 6-24x56 Hawke sidewinder ready to be fitted with some high mounts.

I'm also looking for a diving cylinder for it ( Have access to a diving compressor ) and I need some ammo too, any recommendations?

Is there anything else I am missing that I might need?

Nope, that's pretty much the lot of it.
    Sidewinder is a good choice of scope.
    The 'k' models are a beautiful field rifle and are accurate to a 1c coin every time out to ~35m.

As for ammo - you can't go wrong eith the JSB Exact range, similarly Crossmann Premier, H&N, RWS, Beeman... I'm forgetting a few others but the trick is to go for the match grade stuff every time and stick with diabolo's (round headed pellets). Although having said that, Crossman do a Hollow point in the premier range which is excellent in the 22KT.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, wheres the best and cheapest place to get ammo?

Does the barrel ever need to be cleaned, if so what should I use, is there anywhere else on the gun that needs attention or oil?

Don't go for the cheap ammo - expect to pay €14~€18 a tin for 500 pellets.
    Intershoot are very good, failing that, talk to your locals but the supply here isn't great to be honest.

As for the barrel, different people will tell you different things, but I'd be inclined to give it a good cleaning when you get it, and after that as long as it's shooting straigh, leave it alone - but that's just my opinion, others will tell you to clean after every few hundred... it's all down to personal taste really. In my experience, with air rifles, regular cleaning is not all that necessary though.

The rest of the rifle though will benefit from a light rub down with a slightly oily rag before you put it away after use. The thin film of oil will help keep any water off the metal bits and will prevent handling wear on the blueing.

Whats the 5.51 and 5.52 about with the pellets, which ones do I need or is it trial and error?

Trial & error - it's the pellet headsize.

Some rifles prefer a tighter pellet fit than others.
    In my experience, the 5.51's work best in the '22kt - but that's only based on the use of 1 example of the rifle so it's important to do your own testing.

There's a crowd called pellet perfect in the UK who sell sample packs of pellets for exactly this purpose.

Just found this now http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0038/sec0041.html#sec41

(2) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure any wild bird or wild animal with a spring gun.

does this include a spring air rifle!?

Just found this now http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0038/sec0041.html#sec41

(2) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure any wild bird or wild animal with a spring gun.

does this include a spring air rifle!?

Yes, but it's illegal to hunt any wild bird or any wild animal outside of the derogations anyway.

Furthermore, I'm reasonably certain that the "vermin" classification overrides both of the above (rats, rabbits, magpies, etc... ).

However - it *IS* outright illegal to shoot "game" with an air rifle (..and potentially *any* rifle in the case of game birds - although I'm happy to be corrected on that).

Is there any good online shops that will ship to Ireland, all the ebay shops are pretty crap!

Is there any good online shops that will ship to Ireland, all the ebay shops are pretty crap!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160820413125?var=460078318646&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_711wt_1037

Try this shop buy 2-4 tins to get the best value! :)

Will they combine postage if I buy that many?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Don't forget that you will need an import license to legally bring these into the country as they are considered ammunition in Irish law.

• Advertisement

I should have known there'd be some stupid law about importing them, thanks for the heads up!

Will they combine postage if I buy that many?

Ye its 2.99 for every additional tin...the laws r silly i might chance a tin or two!Contact the seller and see what he say...get him to say gift on the packag might slip through customs!

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    Don't forget that you will need an import license to legally bring these into the country as they are considered ammunition in Irish law.

Does sling shot ammo count metal ones!Also how about BB's? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

Ye its 2.99 for every additional tin...the laws r silly i might chance a tin or two!Contact the seller and see what he say...get him to say gift on the packag might slip through customs!

I wouldn't "chance" any "silly" laws- they are Laws like it or not. An Import document is a single page that's free of charge, and keeps you on the right side.

I wouldn't "chance" any "silly" laws- they are Laws like it or not. An Import document is a single page that's free of charge, and keeps you on the right side.

Its free thats a surprise!How can i acquire one? :)

After what feels like an absolute age, I've been told my license is finally on the way!

I have some JSB Exact Jumbo .22 pellets in 5.51 and 5.52 for starters, must start gathering some more for testing when it arrives.

Have to pick up a pump and/or an dive cylinder too, I have access to a diving air compressor so I probably won't bother with the pump, any recommendations?

Good News! Remind me, what did you go for in the end?

Slug

Good News! Remind me, what did you go for in the end?

Slug

Went for a Weirauch HW100KT in .22 with a Hawke sidewinder 6-24x56

An excellent choice! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it! :D

ATB

Slug

• Advertisement

An excellent choice! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it! :D

ATB

Slug

Cheers, yeah I can't wait to finally get it, I'm away working for the month so hopefully it will be there when I get home!

Advertisement