Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Household charge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Really. So why do we have a Health Board and a HSE? I'd say it would be exceedingly simple to find further economies, and plenty of them. Where it gets complicated is trying to convince bloated unions to put the national good before their own overinflated bank accounts.

But the public sector has to move from its boom structure to one similar to other countries, if public finances are to be sustainable. It is as simple as that.

People have been posting this for the last 3 years and nothing has changed, its the middle income earners that will carry the can for the underpriviliged, low paid, social welfare recipients and the pensioners..basically if you choose to work and better yourself you get to pay for everybody else.

Its a joke and to be honest the speed of change within the public service is a disgrace, its obvious that there are many issue with the structure of the civil/public service but zero enthusiasm to change.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    People have been posting this for the last 3 years and nothing has changed......the speed of change within the public service is a disgrace, its obvious that there are many issue with the structure of the civil/public service but zero enthusiasm to change.

Well said. The public service has been left unchecked for so long while we had money to throw at it that it's turned into a bloated monster, full of waste and vested interests. Any attempt to do any more than tinkering around the edges with it would be met with a wave of protests, industrial action, bureaucracy, and lost votes that any government with any interest in staying in power after the next election would run a mile from.

Too much self interest and not enough national interest. It's still the same old sh1t, just under a different banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

also why even bother installing water meters, or are the EU forcing us to do this? all that money could be spent actually renewing the leaking pipes! I believe metering is in order to promote that favorite of Irish words "FAIRNESS", funny how the politicians seem to care about it in certain areas and not others!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As the guy on the TV said, for those people in Ireland who are already metered there is a substantial amount of water being wasted by the consumer (overflows, leaking cisterns) etc and demand fell markedly when the water was metered.

Anyhow why not have fairness. Would you propose a flat rate charge for electricity or should it be based on the amount you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read a td comment that the free allowance would be large enough that very few people would actually go over the allowance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I read a td comment that the free allowance would be large enough that very few people would actually go over the allowance...

me *rse... We'll have to wait and see, but I'd stay it'd be a fairly stingy allowance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

me *rse... We'll have to wait and see, but I'd stay it'd be a fairly stingy allowance!

Or else it will be generous at first and then brought down. Like with all taxes and charges they start off with the lead of a pencil to get people used to it. Then the pencil itself, then a biro, then one of those 4-coloured BIC biros, a permanent marker and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

How would that raise money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Jaysoose wrote: »
    People have been posting this for the last 3 years and nothing has changed
    Yeah, if only someone had tried to start a political party or something with not only these ideas but a clear roadmap to see them through, or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

dvpower wrote: »
    How would that raise money?

It is not just about raising income, it is also about reducing costs. At least by charging for usage it incentivises people to reduce the amount of water they use. A lot of the clean fresh drinking water pumped into peoples houses is literally flushed down the toilet. We spend a fortune every year purifying water, only for it to be used where non-potable grey water would suffice. Free water falls from the sky just about every day in this country and this water can be used for flushing toilets, washing the car or watering plants (rain water is better for the plants as it is free from chemicals). We have the potential to save on the cost of producing and distributing millions of litres every day if we want to. Charging for water usage produces an income, but also vastly reduces expenditure, money that can be spent elsewhere (ie. banks).

• Advertisement

I strongly doubt it. That would raise no tax revenue, which seems to be the main objective of how FG are approaching it. The greens mooted a water meter scheme to discourage waste of water, with a large enough allowance of water and punitive rates of you went over it, filling a swimming pool for instance. That was for ecological reasons, to encourage conservation more than to generate tax. FG are looking at it from a revenue raising perspective, so they're sure to structure it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

There was talk during the week of a daily allowance of 40 - 60L.
    We consume about 160L per day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A minor, nitpicking point possibly, but --- I am expected to place all recyclable packaging in a recycling bag, for which I have to pay the local authority to whom I already pay an annual waste disposal charge. I am expected to wash that packaging before bagging it for collection. Soon I will have to pay for the water that I use to wash it.

Anyway, on the subject of household rates and water charges, I recall when I and my family lived and worked in the UK in a small south coast town. We paid rates on our smallish semi detached 3 bedroom house. The local authority provided water and sewage services.

Then came privatisation of water services and we became the "customers" of a regional private water utility. Very quickly I found that we still had house rates paid to the LA (and they, surprisingly, didn't drop), but now we had a separate water charge that dramatically increased every year. But we also then had a separate sewage charge, which included the cost of disposal of rain water from our roof. Having a well was no use as it was decreed that all water belonged to the regional company, wherever it was. If one had a well one still had to pay the water charge.

I tried demanding that if all water belonged to the company, then they must stop their bloody water falling on my roof so that I wouldn't have to pay them to take it away.:p Didn't work of course.

In a period of ten years or so I went from paying about £300 a year rates to £1,400 a year for rates, water, and sewage when I sold up and came home in 1994. The water companies, several owned by French parents, became very wealthy, but they still lost more water through leaks than they sold, and the justification for them on the grounds of environmental improvements became ludicrous -- their record of fines for environmental breaches became alarming. Unsurprisingly, their sole purpose was to make money, not to protect the environment.

So on the basis of that experience, let me offer a guess at what will happen here. A new state company, Irish Water (already planned) will be established, and a water services regulator (quango -- we MUST have more quangos) will appointed employing the great and good. The purpose of the new water company will be to centralise all water supply with a view to encouraging competition and eventual privatisation. The regulator will require the company's charges to be high in order to attract other competitors into the market (a-la ESB and electricity supply). This situation will stay in effect for at least ten years and more likely twenty.

New companies entering the market will lease pipe networks from the state company initially, until the regulator finally decides to release the state company and allow it to compete. It will then be bought by Veolia (French) and its residue will become Irish Water Networks. This will remain in control of the state so that all supply companies can continue to lease pipes. As a result no significant investment in new pipes or fixing leaks will take place (anyone who doubt that, consider our telephone network since privatisation and the massive leap forward in fibre optics and high speed broadband).

A point will then be reached where every household pays a household utility charge to a government that does not provide any utilities. A property tax based upon the notional rent for which a property could be let will also be introduced, but that of course will not be the dreaded "rates" lads. We wouldn't do that! We might make you pay twice for something you don't get, but we do need the money!

Water and sewage will be separately charged for by a regional and French owned water utility, and both must be paid irrespective of whether or not a property has its own well and septic tank. Charges will start low with a free issue of water sufficient for one shower per day and charged per cubic metre over that. However, the former will reduce year on year to become a free issue cupful while the charge will increase by at least 10% a year (in order to invest in the infrastructure that the water companies won't provide). The latter will be based upon the assumption that if a household consumes (say) 1.5 cubic metres of water a day then it must create that amount of sewage. That assessment will be increased by 10% to take account of the solids that have been introduced.

A further assessment will be made of how much rain water the utility company must dealt with. This will be based upon the ground area of the property, which will also, mysteriously, increase by 10% a year.

Within ten years, with a bit of luck and a following wind, every family will be paying a local authority at least twice for services it no longer supplies. It will be paying a water company to both supply and take away water at charges that are regulated at high levels in order to encourage "competition. Given my UK experience, and inflation over the years that followed, I sincerely believe that all of those charges will rapidly rise to at least €2,500 a year for every average household, and will do so in less than five years. Of course I can't support that with evidence as it is (somewhat cynical) crystal ball gazing. My only justification is that I have lived long enough to begin to understand just how politicians operate.

And to those in this thread who have said "You expect to pay for electricity and gas, and fuel for your car and food from the shop, so why shouldn't you pay for water?" (thus conveniently ignoring the fact that I already pay for water through my taxes), I would suggest: If I wished to I could do without electricity. I could use oil lamps or candles, and I could wash dishes by hand instead of in the dishwasher. I could do without gas and I could heat my house by lighting a fire of logs that are plentiful in my area. I could do without my car as I have two good legs, and at a push I could acquire a donkey. I am fortunate in owning a small patch of land around my house, and I could grow vegetables and keep a few chickens and a pig or two. I seem to recall that some ancestors managed that!

The one thing I cannot do without is water. I cannot live without it. Simple as. I could drill my own well of course, but the water wouldn't be treated and I would never know if it was potable, particularly if I also have a septic tank. That is why I expect my water to be supplied as a result of the taxes I pay to the state and not subject to a new charge by a private and profit making company whose interests are those of its shareholders rather than mine.

For all of these reasons I will oppose the current raft of highway robbery initiatives in any way that I can.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ART6 wrote: »

Anyway, on the subject of household rates and water charges, I recall when I and my family lived and worked in the UK in a small south coast town. We paid rates on our smallish semi detached 3 bedroom house. The local authority provided water and sewage services.

Then came privatisation of water services and we became the "customers" of a regional private water utility. Very quickly I found that we still had house rates paid to the LA (and they, surprisingly, didn't drop), but now we had a separate water charge that dramatically increased every year. But we also then had a separate sewage charge, which included the cost of disposal of rain water from our roof. Having a well was no use as it was decreed that all water belonged to the regional company, wherever it was. If one had a well one still had to pay the water charge. .....................

..........In a period of ten years or so I went from paying about £300 a year rates to £1,400 a year for rates, water, and sewage when I sold up and came home in 1994. .......

................So on the basis of that experience, let me offer a guess at what will happen here. A new state company, Irish Water (already planned) will be established, and a water services regulator (quango -- we MUST have more quangos) will appointed employing the great and good. The purpose of the new water company will be to centralise all water supply with a view to encouraging competition and eventual privatisation. The regulator will require the company's charges to be high in order to attract other competitors into the market (a-la ESB and electricity supply). This situation will stay in effect for at least ten years and more likely twenty......................

.............As a result no significant investment in new pipes or fixing leaks will take place (anyone who doubt that, consider our telephone network since privatisation and the massive leap forward in fibre optics and high speed broadband).........

A point will then be reached where every household pays a household utility charge to a government that does not provide any utilities. A property tax based upon the notional rent for which a property could be let will also be introduced, but that of course will not be the dreaded "rates" lads. We wouldn't do that! We might make you pay twice for something you don't get, but we do need the money!

Water and sewage will be separately charged for by a regional and French owned water utility, and both must be paid irrespective of whether or not a property has its own well and septic tank. Charges will start low with a free issue of water sufficient for one shower per day and charged per cubic metre over that...........

...........A further assessment will be made of how much rain water the utility company must dealt with. This will be based upon the ground area of the property, which will also, mysteriously, increase by 10% a year.............

Within ten years, with a bit of luck and a following wind, every family will be paying a local authority at least twice for services it no longer supplies. It will be paying a water company to both supply and take away water at charges that are regulated at high levels in order to encourage "competition. Given my UK experience, and inflation over the years that followed, I sincerely believe that all of those charges will rapidly rise to at least €2,500 a year for every average household, and will do so in less than five years. Of course I can't support that with evidence as it is (somewhat cynical) crystal ball gazing. My only justification is that I have lived long enough to begin to understand just how politicians operate.

And to those in this thread who have said "You expect to pay for electricity and gas, and fuel for your car and food from the shop, so why shouldn't you pay for water?" (thus conveniently ignoring the fact that I already pay for water through my taxes), I would suggest: If I wished to I could do without electricity. I could use oil lamps or candles, and I could wash dishes by hand instead of in the dishwasher. I could do without gas and I could heat my house by lighting a fire of logs that are plentiful in my area. I could do without my car as I have two good legs, and at a push I could acquire a donkey. I am fortunate in owning a small patch of land around my house, and I could grow vegetables and keep a few chickens and a pig or two. I seem to recall that some ancestors managed that!...............

The one thing I cannot do without is water. I cannot live without it. Simple as. I could drill my own well of course, but the water wouldn't be treated and I would never know if it was potable, particularly if I also have a septic tank. That is why I expect my water to be supplied as a result of the taxes I pay to the state and not subject to a new charge by a private and profit making company whose interests are those of its shareholders rather than mine.

For all of these reasons I will oppose the current raft of highway robbery initiatives in any way that I can.:mad:

ART6,Congratulations on a most excellent post and one which is unerringly accurate.

Many Irish people remain blissfully unaware of just how much influence the policies of Margaret Hilda Thatcher and her small band of very far sighted Conservative Party supporters are still exerting on such a large part of our lives.

Every aspect of our State's delivery of Public Services has now fallen under this womans vast influence,even though she's now close to death by all accounts,she and her incredible period in Governance totally shifted the balance of existance in thse Islands.

She and her stalwarts,would of course be very miffed at just how those bloody Frogs managed to get their hands on so much of the UK's resources without having to wage war to get them.

The fact remains that Lady T's years in power saw the creation of a new and mighty financial and administrative ascendancy in the UK composed of largely anonymous grey-suited figures who quietly assumed the mantle of power and control we now see in action.

ART6,you obviously did not sit around in a stupor during time en Angletterre...you noticed and that stands you in very good stead indeed in a country where nobody appears to take good note of anything thank's to the ready supply of beer n`crisps dispensed to keep the "san's culottes" quiet...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Great Post altogether !! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

In a period of ten years or so I went from paying about £300 a year rates to £1,400 a year for rates, water, and sewage when I sold up and came home in 1994.
    I doubt it will go down exactly as you outline, but this part is bookmarked for reposting in 2016. One has to wonder why the jobsworths in the civil service insist on aping the actions of their UK counterparts, despite all evidence to suggest this is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

That is why I expect my water to be supplied as a result of the taxes I pay to the state - - -

ARD 6. Your taxes unfortunately only cover 60% of Govt expenditure. The deficit is €18 billion per annum. This is being borrowed this year (2011). The only possible lenders are the IMF/ECB and these have imposed conditions including water/property taxes. All serious parties have agreed with their implementation. All that remains is the details. Between the two I expect they will be looking for up to €1,000 per average house within a few years.
    I cannot see any good theoretical reasons not to introduce these taxes - most opponents seem to be in the I can't/I won't pay camps, which is only a pragmatic position.
    I like the UK provisions for exemptions (see earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

All this demonstrates is that the current government is just as good at cheating and lying as was the previous one. "If we are elected, no new taxes". "Oh, these are not taxes, they are charges."

They are all stealth TAXES. A household utility charge is a TAX. A pension funds levy is a TAX. They are taxes levied by politicians who are too evasive and dishonest to ever let the people really know what the gang that masquerades as a government really costs them. And it's happening because we cannot possibly let reckless bond investors in Germany lose a cent, can we?

I am bitterly angry about the whole deal, and I will oppose it in any way that I can including flat refusal to pay. I'll be damned if I will willingly pay these devils for the privilege of using something I own and for which I paid with already well taxed income, and I intend to shout at any b***dy TD I can get at.:mad:

Excellent post by this person.

A lot of this is to cover spin and useless guff around the costs of keeping the politicians and councillors on their salaries. There is a huge amount of waste there that could be dealt with before levying households to cover the costs of it all! Apart from the bailout stuff, there is a lot of the revenue they are trying to generate will go directly to financing the public reps.

Good loser wrote: »
    That is why I expect my water to be supplied as a result of the taxes I pay to the state

I don't even expect that. I buy bottled water, simply because i don't trust the water that comes out of my taps. It's often dirty, grey, and looks anything but safe to drink, and i live in a major urban centre. Nothing has been spent on improving the infrastructure in donkey's years, and now they are proposing a tax that will be appropriated into the exchequer because we're broke, instead of ring fenced for improving the water systems.

Before a penny of my first water charge is paid i'll be sending a sample of my water off to be tested. If i'm paying for clean, clear, safe drinking water, then until i get it there won't be any money changing hands, and my solicitor will be the one explaining that to them, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I don't even expect that. I buy bottled water, simply because i don't trust the water that comes out of my taps. It's often dirty, grey, and looks anything but safe to drink, and i live in a major urban centre

That is often the case, with city pollution, leaks concealed beneath concrete and plenty of leaking sewerage pipes too

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lazk

Just wondering what the household charge is meant to cover? I live in the country so have my own water supply, own sewage disposal, no street lighting, take my own waste to the landfill, no local facilities that are funded by or maintained by the local government so I assume I don't have to pay? Or is this really just a property tax by another name rather than a tax for services provided?

Yes but what about the first class roads the council has provided you with to take you to town ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MarkD09 wrote: »
    Troll.

How was that trolling? His point was completely valid? In cities, pipes carrying water, sewage, etc are often in close proximity to one another due to lack of space etc. Sometimes pipes get burst by building work, freezing conditions, shifting ground, etc, and it's possible that cross-contamination can occur.

Take it easy with your "troll" pronouncements. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Lads , everyone knows this is not about provision of services its plain and simple a tax, doesnt matter if you are an urban or rural dweller still costs to run the state,I'd imagine if a government was to decide the most efficient way to house and service a population then its in massive housing projects not sprawled all over the island, we are under taxed however we also have poor infrastructure and services so we are underserved, we will pay more and looks like get even less in return, but let us not forget year on year we vote for this system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The irony (and the complete lack of credibility and any coherent argument) is that this is the same government who will "criticise" the banks for raising interest rates saying that householders cannot afford increased charges.

And yet they'll have no problem screwing the householder themselves.

rasper wrote: »
    we will pay more and looks like get even less in return, but let us not forget year on year we vote for this system

What other option do we have? How do we force a change? Where do we start? How do we get enough of a consensus together to make something happen in a country where people talk all day but won't hit the streets in protest no matter what kind of crap is foisted on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

What is the charge for??
    If it is a property tax then call it a Tax
    If it is a service charge, I don’t get any services
    I already pay for water as I am on private supply with a meter and paid 1000 euro to join it
    I don’t live in a town so don’t have the luxury of flushing the toilet and shipping the **** out to sea so I have to maintain a septic tank.
    They are planning to put a charge on septic tanks also so I have no intention of paying a service charge to support dose in city and town.
    Let those in the towns and cities pay for water, sewerage and street lighting first
    It time rural Ireland told FG to **** off and I will be in court before I pay one cent of this charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lazk wrote: »
    Yes but what about the first class roads the council has provided you with to take you to town ? :rolleyes:

LOLtastic, the ones that don't exist I presume. 3 posts and almost all of them trying to get attention. Coincidence?

Must be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

What other option do we have? How do we force a change? Where do we start? How do we get enough of a consensus together to make something happen in a country where people talk all day but won't hit the streets in protest no matter what kind of crap is foisted on them?

Irish people dont do that , we just emirgrate, its what our governments and wealthy elite have been training us to do since pre famine days, shut up and go paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

rasper wrote: »
    Irish people dont do that , we just emirgrate, its what our governments and wealthy elite have been training us to do since pre famine days, shut up and go paddy

Seems it's only getting started - I have been talking to many people locally who are headin for Canada over the Summer. They've been on the dole for a few years now and don't see anything worth staying and fighting for and I can't blame them. With a whole raft of charges coming in to hammer everyone who works why would you bother stayin at all if you can get out. If ye don't want to shut up, work AND pay your taxes to see them wasted well we'll see ye next time there's a "boom".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

waffleman wrote: »
    Seems it's only getting started - I have been talking to many people locally who are headin for Canada over the Summer. They've been on the dole for a few years now and don't see anything worth staying and fighting for and I can't blame them. With a whole raft of charges coming in to hammer everyone who works why would you bother stayin at all if you can get out. If ye don't want to shut up, work AND pay your taxes to see them wasted well we'll see ye next time there's a "boom".
    what boom, that was all a lie, overspending, wasting, good time harries,

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    what boom, that was all a lie, overspending, wasting, good time harries,

No, there was a boom, but it was squandered. With the right policies from government and the right amount of investment in infrastructure as well as proper planning and regulation of sectors like banks, developers, and estate agencies it could still have been going on right now, but that's all in the past.

As the politicians say, "we are where we are" and we have to make sure that our leaders learn from the past and take note that those mistakes can NEVER be made again. If that happens, at least some good will have come out of this disaster.

Meanwhile, an application for a massive supercasino in the middle of nowhere by a crooked TD and a multimillionaire property developer businessman that's totally at odds with the national spatial strategy and current gambling laws has just been given the green light by the planning authority.

Oh well...

Advertisement