Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Some gold coming up tonight

Look at this baby for a mere €690

or for just €900 this bad boy could be yours.

https://www.adverts.ie/25350662

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sleep, Eat a Gamer, Game, repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

"Repeat, sleep, eat, gamer, game"

That's how I read it 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭phily2002

Less than €3 a game! 🤑

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Aren't those the crap yokes you'd see in Argos and Lidl that have rubbish emulation? Pretty sure the Mega Drive Mini was still for sale fairly recently for anyone who wanted one (must update the ROMs on mine!)

AT Games made them or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep, absolutely sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

Is this really what trinitrons are going for nowadays? not even a pvm!!

I'm blaming youtubers on this - this model is nearly identical to one I got for free in 2014

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-trinitron-crt/25398729

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not really, I picked one up for €30 a few weeks back. I see them regularly enough for around €30ish.

whats worse about this is that it looks like someone’s buying it?

a 1 slot, a box and 3 easy to get games €400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

Was that not for sale here recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yep I sold to a member here for 200, nice flipping ......

Wow, that’s bad form.

even if you say the games are worth €20each (that’s generous as all 3 are on eBay right now for €10each with 0bids and minutes left on auction) that would still not raise the price from €200 to €400

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭dav09

Master of the Universe

!!!! Jesus, not cool. Not even two weeks ago.

I really cannot stand that kind of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

jeez. I've had that happened too. I stopped putting up for sale here since . It's such a shame as all of us putting stuff for sale here are genuinely trying to cut a deal for someone who's gonna enjoy it as opposed to flip it a few days later .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In fairness as sellers here it is up to us to decide who we want to sell to and, if someone disappoints, just don't sell to them again.

Perhaps Optimus can write something for the charter to that effect, that flipping is not fair play.

The mod sets the rules, so it's up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I hate seeing this happening, especially through the Marketplace as the whole point of it was to sell stuff amongst ourselves and to stay away from flipping and ridiculous pricing.

Its a hard one to mod though, how do you stop it from happening.. there is a line in the charter that says:

"First person in with an OFFER is first in line." - Maybe change to this, saying

"First person with an OFFER is first in line, please follow this rule, but Seller has final choice on who to deal with IF they have had previous bad experience dealing with the person making the offer first. "

It could probably be phrased better, i dont want to get rid of the First Offer first in line rule, as i think this would cause more problems in the long run but an exception if you had bad experience with the user making that first offer?

Master of the Universe

I've always tried to abide by the first offer first person to deal with rule - however if the first offer comes from someone I don't want to sell to then I won't sell to them. I hope nobody would feel obligated to sell to someone they didn't want to deal with. I've dealt with enough loons on adverts over the years to now vet who I meet up with from the internet to do a deal with. In fact on a few occasions I've actually withdrawn the ad rather than have to sell to to the person with the first offer.

How about something like the following? I know it leaves a bit open to interpretation, but I think we're all grownups here and by and large, have been able to operate in the sales forum without too much issue over the years.

"The First person to make an OFFER on thread is the first in line - please follow this rule as it is a cornerstone of the boards.ie sales forums.

However, do remember that ultimately, the Seller has final choice on who to deal with"

Well, we don't have a feedback system and the marketplace is supposed to be fairly informal.

If a seller is not interested in moving them onto someone who will only flip them, then perhaps they should say so in their initial post.

If, on the otherhand they don't care either way, they don't have to mention it.

I'm not sure how to phrase it but it will put the seller in the driving seat.

Of course, as the mod you would have to be prepared to stand over a dispute when a known person with bad form in the past offers the asking first, but the seller won't sell it to them.

I know, as Cat Mod I would stand with you but there would have to be an expectation that this does not give licence to someone withdrawing from a sale just because a better friend comes and makes a late offer, despite an already agreed sale.

So, fair play is needed from everyone involved.

"If a seller is not interested in moving them onto someone who will only flip them, then perhaps they should say so in their initial post." - For me that goes without saying. This isn't a binding contract situation, I'm prioritising forum regulars ahead of anyone else, and if I choose to jump to 2nd or 3rd in line to do so, so be it. It's my stuff, I choose who to sell it to. People can dispute it all they want, but at the end of the day, it's a forum for us to escape dealing with the masses.

Personally I'd go with:

"First in line with an acceptable offer, has priority. However, sellers can exercise discretion towards who they conduct sales with - this is a forum for Arcade & Retro forum regulars after all. Feel free to join in the main forum and contribute, show your collection, get involved, etc. We don't take kindly to resellers availing of our community prices here, and turning them into an opportunity to make profit, so don't get upset if a seller chooses not to conduct a sale with you."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ok cool ive added this to the forum charter, should cover it going forward, thanks a lot.

I guess ultimately though its the sellers that have to be the ones to remain vigilante about it and if you see someone has bought something off the Marketplace and resold it for profit, make a mental note yourselves not to deal with that person again. Im sure it will be spotted anyways and mentioned here on the forum so we will all know about it happening, i think keeping an eye on it and calling it out ourselves is the best way to deal with it and then we just dont deal with that person again on the marketplace and that is covered by the below.

First regular in line with an acceptable offer, has priority. 

However, sellers can exercise discretion towards who they conduct sales with - this is a forum for Arcade & Retro forum regulars after all. Feel free to join in the main forum and contribute, show your collection, get involved, etc. We don't take kindly to resellers availing of our community prices here, and turning them into an opportunity to make profit, so don't get upset if a seller chooses not to conduct a sale with you.

Sounds perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm glad to see this coming in.

A lot of the time when I used to stick retro bargains up hoping a regular would get them, only for an "outsider" to stick in an offer first. A couple times I know the stuff was resold within a week or so elsewhere at a much higher price. Not a very nice feeling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

A big thumbs up on this. Hopefully this brings this forum and the marketplace back to life a little bit, feels that since the big boards changeover things have got a bit quieter.

There is such a difference to me between someone that flips something after a few days to just make profit and someone that decides to move on at a later point. It's always interesting to see people giving a bit of the history when they decide to move things on. How many items being sold here have had 3 or more owners that are/were regulars here. People are always going to have to move things on, numerous reasons, lack of space, lack of use etc but it's always great to see a glimpse of it's life post sale in a random post (for those that attend the beers this is likely more obvious and likely a large part of the conversations).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hopefully! I've got some great stuff on the marketplace here including a couple of serious bargains that make me happy every time I play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Advertisement