Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rural Broadband Scheme Information Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you registered by end july i take it

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

... no :) Should I have?

Not having internet access, and rarely the time in work, I didn't even know there was such a scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

When is phase to starting anyway, registration ended over a month ago.

And what is going to happen? I've been holding off on joining 3 mobile broadband in the hope theres another option with this scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Just got call from OnWave, they are calling out within the hr to setup the Sat Broadband, took about 6months to convince 3 that the 3G out in the sticks of Kerry didn't work great. I'll report back on performance soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Tricky second post syndrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

With the RBS currently in verification period atm, I'm actually curious to what kind of broadband it would actually be providing...

I'm curious to the sense that, Mobile Broadband is practically available everywhere in Ireland - just the matter of the actual quality and bandwidth of it. ..

So with that being said, if you already got Mobile Broadband in your area, would this have automatically deselected me from the Scheme's "rollout"... where they'd just forward me to a Mobile Broadband service provider... ?

I seriously hope that isn't the case, cause I'm currently using MB and my connection's bloody rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

There's a megathread stickied for the RBS btw.

You have to sign up for the scheme. Depending on various factors, you still may get it regardless of whether you have midband with another provider or not, afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I seriously hope that isn't the case, cause I'm currently using MB and my connection's bloody rubbish!
    Tell them there are trees in the way so it plain don't work. Their mapping don't show trees in 3D ...they will never know. :D

They have to send you off for fixed wireless or DSL subsidy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lehane98

Just got call from OnWave, they are calling out within the hr to setup the Sat Broadband, took about 6months to convince 3 that the 3G out in the sticks of Kerry didn't work great. I'll report back on performance soon.

Jimmy how are you finding the satelite broadband with onwave? im trying to decide to either go with Onwave, Digiwebb or Qsat. Or maybe i should be forgetting about satellite broadband as an option completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SamOptimoo

Rural Broadband Scheme? I’m on the list – should I have heard something by now? Are deadlines slipping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

Here's some questions you could get your local TD to ask in the Daíl.
    • Has the Minister yet finalised the list of qualifying applicants for the RBS ?
    • How many are on the list ?
    • Has that finalised list of applicants been furnished to the list of providers ?
    • Has any list of applicants been furnished to the list of providers ?
    • How many names have been supplied to providers so far ?
    • Have the providers completed their efforts to supply broadband services to those on the list ?
    • Have all or any of the providers reported back to the department with a final list of those that have been supplied ?
    • If not, what is the deadline by which providers must have indicated that they have supplied service to those on the list ?
    • How many now remain on the list as unserved ?
    • Has the department issued an open invitation to tender for the supply of a broadband service in line with the requirements of Part 10(b) of Decision N607/2009 of the European Commission ?
    • If so, why has a tender notice not appeared on www.etenders.gov.ie ?
    • Has the department finalised the relative weighting of the criteria to be used in assessing the tenders and will they be specified in advance as required by Part 10(c) of Decision N607/2009 of the European Commission ?
    • If so, what are the criteria and what are their relative weightings ?
    • What is the best current estimate by him or his department of the award date of the contract ?
    • What is the best current estimate of the required completion date of the contract ?

Interview with Pat Rabbitte.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/
    Broadband issues are at 5.40
    The broadband service is improving all the time. The last piece of the jigsaw is being put in place at the moment in terms of the Rural Broadband scheme, which I announced some 5 or 6 months ago, and which is being rolled out….. which is being put out to tender now.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

clohamon wrote: »
    Interview with Pat Rabbitte.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/
    Broadband issues are at 5.40
    Good man Pat, continuing the long tradition of useless Ministers with responsibility for the Communications portfolio, why break the habits of a lifetime. when you can follow in the path of such luminaries as
    "Shameon" Ryan, who gave us the NBS and 3 €78.2 million
    "Dialup" Dempsey, who gave us the unlit MANs and earned himself a pension of €119,000 for life
    "Blasphemy" Aherne who gave us the GBS and earned himself a pension of €119,000 for life
    "Nanny" O'Rourke, who privatised Telecom Eireann and earned herself a pension of €117,000 for life
    Yes indeed Pat you truly are in some illustrious company, now what will you cost us when you leave your trail of wreckage behind you, as you head off into the land of "Permanent payroll"

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpio

I've has previous issues with a telco who said they could provide a service but patently couldn't when it came down to it.
    If the same crowd offer to supply a service under this scheme, can I veto them on the grounds they've tried and failed before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpio

long_b wrote: »
    I've has previous issues with a telco who said they could provide a service but patently couldn't when it came down to it.
    If the same crowd offer to supply a service under this scheme, can I veto them on the grounds they've tried and failed before ?

My reading of the RBS website is that there is no need to 'veto' an ISP: "In the second phase of the Scheme, the Department will check with existing internet service providers to see if they are willing to provide a service to the premises concerned. If they are willing to provide a service, we will write to you and ask your permission to be contacted by the companies concerned. If a service can be provided to you in this way, your application under the scheme will be closed. "

Conversely, if no participating ISP is able provide you with a functioning service at your home you will proceed to the next phase in the scheme.

It could be the case that if an ISP sees a cluster of buildings in your area looking for broadband they might make additional efforts to get service to your area. However if they all can't get broadband to you, you'll still be in the scheme.

Got the letter with the consent form

May not be news to some but here are the specs:
      2Mbps/256Kbps Down/up
      Contention ratio 48:1
      Minimum uncharged data cap 11 GB (10 GB down, 1 GB up)
      Upfront fee not to exceed 100 euros incl VAT
      Monthly cost not to exceed 40 euros/pm incl VAT
      Term of contract not to exceed 12 months

List of potential suppliers reduced a bit from the full county list but I know for a fact two out of the 4 listed for me currently can't provide the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I know for a fact two out of the 4 listed for me currently can't provide the service.

They sent me the same letter and stated "three :rolleyes:" and "eircom" could provide the service...I live too far from the exchange for eircom to be of any use. I would get less than 1Mb from them and I was with three before and for months got 0.01-0.50Mbps speed. Even though 2Mbps is the minimum speed that they say has to be delivered.

Can't believe the government think that three is broadband...this whole scheme is going to be a waste of time if that's the case.

Got the letter with the consent form

May not be news to some but here are the specs:
      2Mbps/256Kbps Down/up
      Contention ratio 48:1
      Minimum uncharged data cap 11 GB (10 GB down, 1 GB up)
      Upfront fee not to exceed 100 euros incl VAT
      Monthly cost not to exceed 40 euros/pm incl VAT
      Term of contract not to exceed 12 months

List of potential suppliers reduced a bit from the full county list but I know for a fact two out of the 4 listed for me currently can't provide the service.

Have the department done anything for you that you haven't already, or couldn't have done for yourself ?

Have the department done anything for you that you haven't already, or couldn't have done for yourself ?

Nope.

At best I thought this might be a cheaper way to try satellite for a year - I wasn't expecting much.

How come the NBS is 20 pm and RBS have to pay 40 ?

• Advertisement

The RBS is just a satellite dating service. They do not expect to hand out any financial assistance at all.

They also claim that they are not allowed to subsidise monthly fees under EU state aid rules.

There was nearly €18M budgeted for rural broadband including €14M from Brussels. It looks like none of it will be spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Have been on midband for a long time due to the fact we can’t get anything else where we live (can only get coverage from 1 provider). Connection has been erratic to say the least (extremely poor speeds, ridiculous pings, and constant disconnections). The provider have always been adamant we were in a borderline coverage area so connection couldn’t be guaranteed (it has taken me the best part of a year to convince them we live within their 3G coverage area).

I’ve been on to them countless times about the dismal service. The last time I was on to them they said they would raise my problems with their tech dept (again!!) I asked them if they find there is nothing they can do to improve the service can they put this in writing so I could at least try for the NBS.

I got a letter from them last week stating that they had removed me from contract and I should call their tech people to arrange disconnection……. I took this as being their way of agreeing they can’t provide a stable service :rolleyes:

I only learnt of the RBS after the deadline for applications so was too late for that. So I suppose if I asked the RBS nicely they might take pity and let me apply???? (I suppose not). :cool:

bijou wrote: »

I only learnt of the RBS after the deadline for applications so was too late for that. So I suppose if I asked the RBS nicely they might take pity and let me apply???? (I suppose not). :cool:

The NBS is an area based scheme http://www.three.ie/nbs/
    The RBS closed promptly on 29th July 2011. That's it.

If you phone them, please ask what they've done with all the EU money.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

The NBS is an area based scheme http://www.three.ie/nbs/
    The RBS closed promptly on 29th July 2011. That's it.

If you phone them, please ask what they've done with all the EU money.

:D:D:D
    Well...... I'm not in the NBS coverage area either. Funnily enough I contacted comreg about the NBS (after being referred to them by 3) :rolleyes:

I asked them why it was called “National Broadband” as looking at their map (to me) it’s selective areas (one area covered by the NBS down the road from me has DSL/FWA/midband yet where I am I can only get this erratic midband connection – I got a phone call from some woman at comreg who wanted to confirm where I lived and basically said it was tough and that the area I live in had sufficient “broadband” coverage.

When I asked her to explain this to me and she said that the population ratios accounted for where the NBS covered, so a biggish town 8 miles away (already with DSL/FWA/midband access) needed the NBS coverage more than a smaller village. Our exchange here has been enabled since 2007 but Eircom won’t upgrade the local lines so can’t avail of DSL (and believe me I ain't reconnecting my landline for the joys of dial-up).

My God.... the woman even asked me why I haven't tried for UPC (I live in Co Roscommon!!!!!) - my response was "I will do in 40 years time..... maybe!!" :mad::mad::mad:

Apologies for hijacking an RBS thread Mods:o

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Hi,

I got the consent form yesterday and the ISPs that have indicated they may be able to offer a service is

Eircom & eMobile
    QSAT
    Ripplecom

I cannot get Eircom so i dont know why they are on it

Anyone know anything about QSAT or Ripplecom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bambam26 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got the consent form yesterday and the ISPs that have indicated they may be able to offer a service is

Eircom & eMobile
    QSAT
    Ripplecom

I cannot get Eircom so i dont know why they are on it

Anyone know anything about QSAT or Ripplecom

Stay away from any satellite service, it's not really broadband and the download caps are pathetic. QSat are the worst of them all.

Also a mobile service is not really broadband either so avoid that if possible.
    It could be better than satellite or it might not be.

I don't know much about Ripplecom but at a quick look it seems to be the best choice

bealtine wrote: »
    Stay away from any satellite service, it's not really broadband and the download caps are pathetic. QSat are the worst of them all.
    I'm agreeing with everything you say but as part of the RBS the satellite providers have to give you at least (and probably exactly) 10GB down/1GB up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm agreeing with everything you say but as part of the RBS the satellite providers have to give you at least (and probably exactly) 10GB down/1GB up.

These limits are not set by the satellite resellers here in Ireland but by the operators, so I don't see how any reseller can possibly provide anything like 10Gb.
    If the NBS shows us anything, it is that the resellers say they will deliver X Gb and then promptly ignore the limits. Unless the DECNR is actually serious about these limits, which they are not, you can pretty much be guaranteed they won't be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Also got the letter this week, what a total waste of fcuking time. 2 Wireless providers listed that don't cover my area plus QSAT total joke.

Can anyone tell me htf QSAT can provide a 48:1 contention ratio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

like others I got

Eircom & emobile
    National wireless broadband
    osat
    three

funny thing is that, my neighbour has eircom broadband, but I can't cuz of the split land line.

Who are National wireless broadband?, tried to look them, found nothing about them, is it also midband??.

Advertisement