Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB and tree cutting

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I got a call yesterday from a contractor employed by the ESB to trim and cut trees and hedges around electricity lines. Apparently there is a rule that there must be 6 feet of clear area around these lines now if this is followed it will mean almost completely cutting down a sycamore tree on my site which is approx 50-60 years old and it may be up to 80 or 90 I dont know for sure but it's a fine, big, healthy tree.
    Naturally I don't want this tree cut down but the lines run very close to the main trunk so slight pruning would not satisfy these rules. Is there anythign I can do or must I submit to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I'm pretty sure you've got to bite the pillow on that one, there may be an out if the power is just coming in to the property, but if the line goes through, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I'm pretty sure you've got to bite the pillow on that one, there may be an out if the power is just coming in to the property, but if the line goes through, you're screwed.

I hope not. But it is just going straight through a neighbour. I guess theres no chance they would re-route the power line?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if its 60+ years old would this issue not have come up before?
    It so ask them why its an issue all of a sudden.

if its 60+ years old would this issue not have come up before?
    It so ask them why its an issue all of a sudden.

It is strange ok, the cable hasn't beenthere 60 years but it must there at least 20-30 any way so I just don't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

We have had our trees/hedge (leylandii) cut by ESB contractors
    several times. Its due a trim again actually...:rolleyes:

It may not have been an issue before as they might not have
    seen it until now or let it pass until now.

Let them trim it and perhaps try to avoid this situation.

any pics of this by the way?

• Advertisement

Little update for anyone in a similar situation. I met the contractor on site and we had a chat. Basically if you have a problem with any proposed cutting you can refuse to allow them to cut and a report goes to the ESB and as I understand it a representative from the ESB will come out and do an assestment of the situation, I assume form a safety point of view and decide what needs to be done. If you still refuse I dont know what happens then but I would guess it gets legal.
    Now my situation looks like it will be ok, the contractor is being resonable and will only cut the bare minimum necessary and wont be cutting the trunk of the tree, a big relief I can tell you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I was only reading in the independent yesterday that a 27 year old timber-cutter died a few weeks ago.He was working for a contractor working for the esb. I wonder does this have any relation too the fact they are keeping distances greater to try prevent similar circumstances from happening. It was an old paper, might have been april or may

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

gears wrote: »
    Little update for anyone in a similar situation. I met the contractor on site and we had a chat. Basically if you have a problem with any proposed cutting you can refuse to allow them to cut and a report goes to the ESB and as I understand it a representative from the ESB will come out and do an assestment of the situation, I assume form a safety point of view and decide what needs to be done. If you still refuse I dont know what happens then but I would guess it gets legal.
    Now my situation looks like it will be ok, the contractor is being resonable and will only cut the bare minimum necessary and wont be cutting the trunk of the tree, a big relief I can tell you.

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens. Don't suppose you'd be up for getting some before and after photos (assuming they decide to trim it)?

Well they were due to cut it today or tomorrow so if they havent done it today I'll take a few photos when I get home.

Sorry but the work was all done when I arrived home and in fairness they did a good job and only cut the bare minimum from the tree so I'm happy with the work considering what I had thought might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Sorry, just got a similar request, but are you obliged to pay them for trimming the trees on your property?

What's crazy is my hedge is at least 3 meters from the power line, but they say you need 4 meters. Seems very excessive to me. I could easily trim it and I have before, wondering if I should do it or let them do it and risk that they'll make a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

no you don't have to pay them for powerline work. What type of lines do you have over your hedge? If your hedge comes within their cutting distance, you may be putting yourself at risk to cut it yourself. You have the option of getting in your own professional (with the agreement of the ESB) and get them to do the work but you have to pay for that.

faq's for ESB if trees touching lines
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/faqs.jsp#tree_intergering

Advertisement