Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air rifles?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is it even possible to buy 100 pellets? I've only ever seen tins of 500 or more.

If they aren't sold in batches of 100 but only larger tins, how are you supposed to buy ammo legally?
    Same thing happened me, see your firearms officer in local Garda station, he'll guide you if you tell him it's lowest 200 tin available, I think 100 is kinda generic cartridge allocation now until you reapply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Many airgun shooters in the RoI seem to have been in this predicament over the years. There seems to be no answer to a problem that should not exist.

What IS the answer, apart from writing a polite letter to your super explaining the impossibility of shooting the gun that you have just had licensed because you cannot buy ammunition for it.

There really can be no excuse for such a ridiculous state of affairs.

I've not seen pellets sold in less than 500's. Perhaps somebody here can put me right about that - I just buy five thousand at a time, and get a bit more discount than usual.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

murph226 wrote: »
    License and rifle finally arrived, they gave me 100 rounds on the license after asking for 500.
    Did you supply a note on your separate letter stating that they cannot be bought in amounts less than 500?

If not write a letter or tell him on the phone that to keep within the law you need 1,000. This allows you to have a tin and to purchase a new tin before the first runs out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tac foley wrote: »
    Many airgun shooters in the RoI seem to have been in this predicament over the years. There seems to be no answer to a problem that should not exist.

There is an answer to the problem. They should train up a load of FOs so that they have at least basic knowledge of firearms. And yes, I know that the position doesn't officially exist within the Gardai - but it should .

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

I know someone who got 25 on their first shotgun licence...did the FO expect him to be beside the feckin shop running back every day to get ammo haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭finnan1

Rather than start a new thread and as an DOJ import license was already spoken of in this thread, i would like to know once received, how the import document actually works, as in do i need to fax it etc to a dealer in NI, each and every time i wish to purchase my pellets, does it last only one transaction,etc... ?

finnan1 wrote: »
    ............ once received, how the import document actually works, as in do i need to fax it etc to a dealer in NI, each and every time i wish to purchase my pellets,
    Yes.

You fax it to the dealer, and send the original. Keep a copy for yourself. If he can find someone to ship it he must attach the import documentation to the order.

If you'd rather collect you need a NI visitor's permit (which lasts for a year) and the same import paperwork to bring it over the border.
    does it last only one transaction,etc... ?
    Yes.

For each transaction you need a new import form.

Why are you buying or thinking of buying int he north? Would a local dealer not have or get you what you want?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭finnan1

Thanks for the clarification.

I do mostly buy local, but it would be nice to purchase some items not available locally at times

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Milkthief

Apply for a European pass. Then can go up north n buy your own pellets

Afraid not. The European Firearms license/pass does not allow you to buy ammo in the North and bring it South.

To buy in the North you need a license. Unlike the UK, but strangely like here, you need a license for an air rifle up North. That aside whatever the status of pellets, they are classed as ammo in the South so you need to import them. If they are classed as ammo up the North then you need a visitor's pass to be able to possess and carry them when in the North.

So you must import them via an import license from the DoJ. It's free and comes within a week. So not a major ordeal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement