Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Recording Rented Property

• 01-04-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if it's legal for your property agency to come to your rented property and video record all the rooms? Any help would be great..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

In what context? What reason did they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosietobes

well I got a little note in my letterbox Friday saying that they are coming monday for inspection and that if I won't be there to let them know and they'll use their own key.. Maybe it's ok if they give notice? I'm just not sure I'm all that comfortable with having all my personal belongings video taped..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're probably relying on you not being there on monday morning to access the property. I would pretty sure that they cannot access your property without due notice or permission. Informing you on friday that they are coming in on monday regardless would not constitute either due notice or permission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

rosietobes wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just wanted to know if it's legal for your property agency to come to your rented property and video record all the rooms? Any help would be great..
    I was renting for a year after i sold my house. Agents came every three months and took photos. They said it was because Landlords were losing cases in the PRTB after they withheld money from deposits because of damage to the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

well I got a little note in my letterbox Friday saying that they are coming monday for inspection and that if I won't be there to let them know and they'll use their own key.. Maybe it's ok if they give notice? I'm just not sure I'm all that comfortable with having all my personal belongings video taped..

tell them to off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

and that if I won't be there to let them know and they'll use their own key..
    IIRC, once you pay rent, they can't enter without your say-so.

So let them know that you are not giving them permission to enter your your house when you are not there, and that informing the Gardaí of you entering the house if they do so.

I'd wonder can their videotaping and/or pictures be used against them in a court of law?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html
    Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission.

Advertisement