Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N dash

• 03-03-2012 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

How do I type an n dash in my comments? In MS Word it's the control key with the minus key. On Boards this reduces the page size. Can this dash type be used in the comments?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Finneen wrote: »
    How do I type an n dash in my comments? In MS Word it's the control key with the minus key. On Boards this reduces the page size.

On most internet browsers, [Ctrl][+] will increase font size and [Ctrl][-] will reduce font size. The function is unrelated to boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

First off, it's an En dash, not N dash :)

You must use the Number pad for this to work

Hold down the Alt key and using the number pad type 0150, then release the Alt key

e.g. –

To type an Em Dash simply hold down the Alt key and using the number pad type 0151, then release the Alt key

e.g. —

EDIT: It seems painful to do this all the time but believe me, over time you get very used to it and it becomes a lot easier. Not so much easier on laptops or keyboards without a number pad though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

r3nu4l wrote: »
    First off, it's an En dash, not N dash :)

Technicalities :P
    The en dash, n dash, n-rule, or "nut" (–) i

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tallon wrote: »
    Taken from Wikipedia

You'll note that 'en dash' comes first in that series ;)

Thread question answered and this really isn't a Feedback issue anyway so thread closed :) Hope that helps Finneen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement