Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

c+e licence

• 18-12-2013 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

hi got my rigid licence in 2008 now need go for c+e licence. what do I need do to get learner permit artic c+e .I call rsa and they said I don't need to do anything (but I still need to sent off for a learner permit) ie no theory test and I only need medical for when I get my full licence. is that right ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Silvera

If you passed the C Theory Test within the last 5 years you dont need to re-sit that test (I had to re-sit my C test last year before applying for my C+E Permit as I did my C Theory Test in 2003).

I believe the same applies re the medical - their records must show that you submitted a medical within the previous 5 years.

So yes, it would seem that you just need to fill out the NDLS Learner Permit form and go to an NDLS centre to have you pics taken, etc.

I recently took some artic lessons. I found it tricky to get used to the length of the truck (I havent done any truck driving since passing my C test in 2003). I also found reversing difficult to get the hang of. I'm now considering doing some lessons in a 'wagon and drag' (as truckers call them! ..i.e. rigid + trailer) - apparently a lot of guys on www.trucknetuk.com say it is easier to pass the C+E test in a 'wagon and drag'?!

I'm thinking of trying a school in Roscommon who use a 'wagon and drag'. They seem to be the only school (that I can locate?) who use a rigid/trailer combo for lessons/test.

http://www.aclearsteerdriving.com/?page_id=46

I must add that I'm not doing the C+E test in order to secure a driving job - I mainly want to do it in order to add B+E and C1+E to my licence.

UK and Irish Truck Forums -

http://www.trucknetuk.com

http://www.irishrigs.com//phpBB/index.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The medical is probably not needed as its ten years with the current licence, it will be 5 years on renewal of the new one iirc.

I wouldn't agree that's is easier with a rigid and trailer, if it was me re-doing the test I would do it with the artic. You have more control, and can position it better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Davy wrote: »
    The medical is probably not needed as its ten years with the current licence, it will be 5 years on renewal of the new one iirc.

I wouldn't agree that's is easier with a rigid and trailer, if it was me re-doing the test I would do it with the artic. You have more control, and can position it better imo.

I agree for a learner with no practice other than lessons that the Artic is the better options, also more choice of trainers.
    The NDLS are very particular regarding the medical. As you submitted a medical to Motor Tax originally I suspect they will want a new one, also their forms only accept a maximum of 5 years on a medical. Please let us know here how you get on as it's new information for everyone.

Davy wrote: »

So you did you lessons/test in a rigid+trailer??
    What do you mean by "more control"?

Is it not the case that a trailer will more-or-less follow the line of
    the rear wheels of the truck...as opposed to the 'shorter line' the
    wheels of an artic trailer takes when turning (i.e. the rigid/trailer
    combo would be easier to manouver for turning/tight turns)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Please let us know here how you get on as it's new information for everyone.
    went to ndls centre today and the first thing I was ask for a new medical I said I called the rsa and they said I didn't need one because the one I got in 2008 is valid for 10 year . she said you will need a new one :eek: I said rsa said and I didn't need new one .she then when off to talk to someone else and came back and said I was right .........................................................................now when I getting my learner permit what the story in get the full licence ? .in 2008 I just applied for the driving test . I think thing have change now ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

navara man wrote: »
    went to ndls centre today and the first thing I was ask for a new medical I said I called the rsa and they said I didn't need one because the one I got in 2008 is valid for 10 year . she said you will need a new one :eek: I said rsa said and I didn't need new one .she then when off to talk to someone else and came back and said I was right .........................................................................now when I getting my learner permit what the story in get the full licence ? .in 2008 I just applied for the driving test . I think thing have change now ??

That's great to hear, but fair dues for standing your ground.
    You can apply for a test and take one as soon as you can get a slot. But I would suggest getting a lesson or two and see where you are ability wise. When you pass you can get a full Lic up to end of present one 2018(????) .
    If your full Lic ends later than this then you'll need a new medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

Silvera wrote: »

I recently took some artic lessons. I found it tricky to get used to the length of the truck (I havent done any truck driving since passing my C test in 2003). I also found reversing difficult to get the hang of. I'm now considering doing some lessons in a 'wagon and drag' (as truckers call them! ..i.e. rigid + trailer) - apparently a lot of guys on www.trucknetuk.com say it is easier to pass the C+E test in a 'wagon and drag'?!
    [/QUOTE]
    I would recommend you use a unit and trailer for Artic test to be honest and the longer the trailer the better like triple axle, the longer the trailer the easier for reverse. We have wagon and drags here along with units and trailers .
    While the rigid and drag follow nicely on the road the reverse can be tricky in tight places and take up some road depending what combination you're using, i.e. length of the tow vehicle, where a unit is shorter much better I find than a using full length rigid for towing.
    Plus what sort of drag trailer is being used, one with steering axle to the front or double solid axles.
    Personally if I had to do my test again I'd go with the unit and trailer combination ....but each to their own I guess.

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    When you pass you can get a full Lic up to end of present one 2018(????) .
    If your full Lic ends later than this then you'll need a new medical.

I said if I pass my driving test before june 2014 i (got medical june 2008) there should be no need for a new medical because they will be 5 year left on it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

navara man wrote: »
    I said if I pass my driving test before june 2014 i (got medical june 2008) there should be no need for a new medical because they will be 5 year left on it
    Yeah that sounds right to me, although 4 years left on it from 2014 no??

Gene Hunt wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds right to me, although 4 years left on it from 2014 no??
    :o you right , that must be why rsa said you will need to get a new medical when i go full licence

• Advertisement

Gene Hunt wrote: »
    I would recommend you use a unit and trailer for Artic test to be honest and the longer the trailer the better like triple axle, the longer the trailer the easier for reverse. We have wagon and drags here along with units and trailers .
    While the rigid and drag follow nicely on the road the reverse can be tricky in tight places and take up some road depending what combination you're using, i.e. length of the tow vehicle, where a unit is shorter much better I find than a using full length rigid for towing.
    Plus what sort of drag trailer is being used, one with steering axle to the front or double solid axles.
    Personally if I had to do my test again I'd go with the unit and trailer combination ....but each to their own I guess.

Thanks for your input. Between this forum and other forums the majority seem to favour doing lessons/test in a wagon-and-drag.

To date I have only located one driving school who use a wagon and drag for lessons - www.aclearsteerdriving.com

The school covers Athlone which would be the nearest centre (i.e. which they cover) to me. It seems that they use a Scania 94 and a twin-axle drawbar trailer (see pic in above link). The school is also associated with www.advancedrive.ie - and they appear to do driving courses for Scania Trucks around the world?!

hi got my licence in post a few day ago . so can anyone tell me the story of how to get full licence do I just apply for test like I did in when I got my rigid licence, or do I have to do some cpc test now as well ? ...........I have the driver cpc modules 1 to 4 already done if that make a difference

Advertisement