Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview, do I need a ariel

• 22-04-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi guys basically my nan is forking out 80 euro a month to UPC and wants to switch to saorview. I don't know too much about it but she rang some guy and he said all she needs is a box not a aeriel or anything!
    I was pretty sure she needs a aeriel as well as the box but she said to me that she wouldn't be allowed to put up an aeriel cos property is so old.
    Who would have thought it would be so confusing, anyway she is 80 years old so I said I would try get as much info as I can, and what better place to ask then right here, where the experts are.
    Any input would be great guys thanks, as again I really am lost on this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You will need a aerial to received soarview, my neighbour as a indoor aerial which works fine with soarview. maybe he thought you had a existing aerial and would not need to be replaced with a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    You will need a aerial to received soarview, my neighbour as a indoor aerial which works fine with soarview. maybe he thought you had a existing aerial and would not need to be replaced with a new one.

Cheers Scoop. How big are these indoor aeriels??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cheers Scoop. How big are these indoor aeriels??

Its only a small thing , when he put the order in for a soarview box he also ordered the indoor aeriel as he had no aeriel at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi there.

Just to tell you that you are posting this thread in the wrong forum as UPC is Cable. All Saorview threads are posted in the Terrestrial forum.

The link for Terrestrial is here > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Saorview requires an aerial to watch the channels off it.

If you're thinking of combining with Free to Air Satellite or Freesat with Saorview well yes that is allowed but you need a satellite dish pointed at Astra 28.2 and Freesat/FTA Sat box or TV to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc even in HD for free.

All the Saorview channels are still needed with the aerial though just to be sure.

Your gran's UPC subscription really is a waste of money as most of the channels that she would probably receive on her package are free to air on Satellite. Examples of those Stations would be Channel 5, CNN, Sky News, BBC Four HD, UTV NI HD and Film4.

Does she like to see any of the channels on UPC?

Does she even have a dish or an aerial located at her home? Is she able to afford a FTA box or not? A simple yes or no would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How big are these indoor aeriels??

An indoor aerial may or may not work, it'll depend on what the Saorview signal is like where the aerial is located

http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

Could your nan downgrade to a cheaper UPC package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It will also depend on her TV.

blade1 wrote: »
    It will also depend on her TV.

The guy she rang said she needs a box, see post 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The Cush wrote: »
    The guy she rang said she needs a box, see post 1.

And how did he come to that conclusion?
    If her TV is saorview or freeview compatible she only needs an aerial.
    If it is not(possibly old TV) then she'll need need a box and and aerial.

blade1 wrote: »
    And how did he come to that conclusion?.

No idea, just quoting the information given in the OP.

Thanks guys sorry for posting in wrong section.
    She doesn't want to change package with UPC as she just wants done with them.
    She doesn't want satellite just basic channels and it is a old TV she has. Think the guy she was talking to may have been a bit confused and may have thought she had a aerial already.
    This Ariel might do the trick I'm thinking:
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/set-top-boxes-and-aerials/aerials/one-4-all-amplified-digital-saorview-aerial-36db.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... She doesn't want satellite just basic channels

All you'll get from Saorview is RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, UTV Ireland, RTE1 +1, RTE jr., RTE News Now.

RTE1 & 2 are currently the only HD channels.

Thurston? wrote: »
    All you'll get from Saorview is RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e, UTV Ireland, RTE1 +1, RTE jr., RTE News Now.

Ye that's perfect for her as it's really only the soaps she watches

Thurston? wrote: »

Ye that's perfect for her as it's really only the soaps she watches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It might just as easily not. In an old apartment I could get Saorview with a piece of wire but where I am now there is not a hope so I tried one of those one 4 all devices and still I got nothing nothing.

Saorview will work with an external aerial only in some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

lertsnim wrote: »
    Saorview will work with an external aerial only in some areas
    I would have thought that an outdoor aeriel worked in most areas as opposed to "some"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

I was pretty sure she needs a aeriel as well as the box but she said to me that she wouldn't be allowed to put up an aeriel cos property is so old.

She is misinformed. The age of the property has nothing to do with an aerial can be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Absolute rubbish. There are no 36dB aerials. To have that sort of gain you would need a dish around 1 metre diameter.
    That is a zero (or less) dB aerial with a 36dB amplifier on it which will raise the local noise by 36dB but be useless for TV.
    Amplifiers are designed to overcome the loss on a large run of cable which indoor aerials do not have.

Here is a decent indoor aerial, but none are guaranteed to work everywhere:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telecam-TCE2000-Indoor-Aerial-Antenna/dp/B00IUC9CZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429625542&sr=8-1&keywords=tce+2000

It goes without saying don't get the amplified version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

muffler wrote: »
    I would have thought that an outdoor aeriel worked in most areas as opposed to "some"

Let me rephrase for you. In some areas you will not receive any Saorview reception unless you use an external aerial.

Advertisement