Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers,Saturday February 18th,Cassidys Westmoreland Street,All Welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Cassidy's was mentioned way back before this even was a sticky. I say we stick with it for now and for the next beers we'll make it wheelchair accessible. Trying to organise something at this late stage will cause a whole hape (said in best country accent) of confusion and also cause extra work for someone to research and book it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I know from my days as a class rep in college that trying to organise and book these things can be really tough, so kudos to Otis. :)

Hoping to make it to this on the 18th, funds permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I've got a shock annoucement to make..............

:eek:

Gonna be my first ever SOBER beers \o/

:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

That I shall finally be able to see through sober eyes what Dublin and everyone in it looks like? :p

• Advertisement

HOLY **** SIR!!! :eek:

*actually choked when read that* :p

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo babies in ma belly thank you very much :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

And after all that about being sober...I might be on the sauce afterall Toni!! And here's you gonna be sober lol:p I'm not going to Coppers afterwards this time either:pac:

Reading up there on the venue stuff, I'm sure the next beers wont be too far away in time, and one that is most likely able to cater for everyone shall be found :) From seeing people organise beers on this site for close to 7 years now, it always proves a little bit tricky at times. Good man Otis, ya still got us somewhere in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Being the devils advocate I agree with Otis, it was asked after the fact and you'll never please everyone!

It's time consuming (and head melting at times) sorting it out so fair play Otis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I've got a shock annoucement to make..............

:eek:

Gonna be my first ever SOBER beers \o/

error3rror128549826142168226.jpg

You better have a damn good reason Tuddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

bluewolf wrote: »
    im finally going so you pull out? :(

Oh nooooooo. I have always wanted to meet you :( What a pain. I have a hen party and an ex-work dinner and a charity dinner.... and a few other things in the next 6 weeks.

How annoying :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh nooooooo. I have always wanted to meet you :( What a pain. I have a hen party and an ex-work dinner and a charity dinner.... and a few other things in the next 6 weeks.

How annoying :(

i'll buy you a drink... :D

i want to say fair play to otis for organising and booking after all our nagging, and i don't think it's fair to turn around and go on about it after he went to that effort
    it's a pity we wont have somewhere wc accessible but i think we can plan that for the next time, as he said, it was only a "maybe" in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heres how it is.

We decided on a venue that was central,that suited most and was easy to get to/find as we have always done.

Mental Mickey said,after Cassidys had been decided upon

He didnt say he was going and to me that reads,if its wheel chair accessible I may go,I may not.

The fact of the matter is you cannot suit all of the people all of the time.If MM had said "Id like to go but it would have to be somewhere that is accessible",while we were picking a venue thats one thing,but he didnt.

Since I started organising tGC beers I have tried to be as accommodating as is possible to everyone so I dont appreciate snarky comments and roll eyes from people.

Market Bar is not a suitable venue for a large gathering tbh.Its a bar/tapas restaurant and is always jammers so the chances of reserving an area for 30 to 40 people that wont be buying food is minute.

My decision rests on the pub being wheelchair accessible. If it's not, I can't go. I thought that was pretty clear??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

My decision rests on the pub being wheelchair accessible. If it's not, I can't go. I thought that was pretty clear??

To be honest mate it wasn't pretty clear. Every Beers thread is populated by dozens of posters saying they might go, basically they like the idea of going but it may not be possible for them for dozens of reasons, money, time, other commitments, travel etc. Many of these "might/maybe" posters never show up because of these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Your original post, that is vague, very vague, if you had said it more clearly then Otis might have been able to do something about it. Your next request is the exact same.

I expect a barrage of abuse for the above but while Otis suggested the beers and has organised the venue, it's not his paid or non paid job to do it and there are lots of others here who could have checked it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    HOLY **** SIR!!! :eek:

*actually choked when read that* :p

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo babies in ma belly thank you very much :pac:
    error3rror128549826142168226.jpg

You better have a damn good reason Tuddle.

oi tuddle. WHY????? thought we was gonna whip all they asses at kings?????

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'll buy you a drink... :D

Thank you, bluewolf, you are so sweet :). I am on the non-alco beverages anyway, but it is the cost of going up to Dublin and then getting something for my friend who will put me up. It all adds up.

Sounds like a good crowd going, so you should all have a great time regardless of the venue. :)

Is it really that hard to find a wheelchair accessible place?

Surely if it is a case of organising a few tables and sectioned off area for a big enough number, any pub would be happy to do so no bother. It's in the pub's interest after all...

Wheelchair accessible pubs in Dublin, if not already posted....

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/wheelchairaccess.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wheelchair accessible pubs in Dublin, if not already posted....

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/wheelchairaccess.html

A few of them places are closed down and only wheelchair accessible as far as the bar.

"Sosume" known as "The Dragon" now has steep steps leading into it as far as I can recall too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Is it really that hard to find a wheelchair accessible place?

Surely if it is a case of organising a few tables and sectioned off area for a big enough number, any pub would be happy to do so no bother. It's in the pub's interest after all...

Yes but are you willing to do all of the research, organising, and booking the place, in your own name?

Look Otis booked the place that people wanted to go to, based on the info that he had at the time! If a seventeen-year-old poster announced now that they wanted to come along too, should it then be changed to a non-alcoholic event just to suit them? It's similar to when people from outside Dublin can't come to beers because of the location (which happens all the time), you just can't suit everyone unfortunately.

As far as I know, this is the first time when wheelchair accessibility has been an issue for the beers, unfortunately the issue wasn't made clear before definite arrangements were put in place. Maybe next time, if people have particular requirements for the location, they could make this very clear before the venue is chosen and booked.

Yes but are you willing to do all of the research, organising, and booking the place, in your own name?

Look Otis booked the place that people wanted to go to, based on the info that he had at the time! If a seventeen-year-old poster announced now that they wanted to come along too, should it then be changed to a non-alcoholic event just to suit them? It's similar to when people from outside Dublin can't come to beers because of the location (which happens all the time), you just can't suit everyone unfortunately.

As far as I know, this is the first time when wheelchair accessibility has been an issue for the beers, unfortunately the issue wasn't made clear before definite arrangements were put in place. Maybe next time, if people have particular requirements for the location, they could make this very clear before the venue is chosen and booked.

Yikes, OK, OK.

I know you can't suit everyone. I was just making the point that asking a pub to book a sectioned off area is not going to be met with much difficulty. We aren't organising a sit-down meal for 30 people, that's all I was saying. And yes, I take on board it was organised, and booked, but was some kind of deposit put down that would be lost?

I'm presuming not.

Carry on, as you were.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yikes, OK, OK.

I know you can't suit everyone. I was just making the point that asking a pub to book a sectioned off area is not going to be met with much difficulty.

Dont think its as simple as that. A lot of the pubs have no problem clearing an area however the toilets are either up or downstairs and many pubs have steps into them. Not just a case of a bigger space.

Dovies wrote: »
    Dont think its as simple as that. A lot of the pubs have no problem clearing an area however the toilets are either up or downstairs and many pubs have steps into them. Not just a case of a bigger space.

That's very true. I suppose that is where the research would come in :D

I know it has been organised, bit it just seems a shame that someone can't go because of wheelchair accessibility, that is all.:(

More than happy, next time, yes, although from my experience of being on here that is a role a moderator has taken by choice.

I would not want to step on anyone's toes, but yeah, I wouldn't mind a bit making a few phone calls next time.

I'm orgainising a hen party in a few weeks that includes pole dancing :p, sit-down meal, karaoke and nightclub, so I think I could handle a boards meet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Dovies wrote: »

Dovies has the crux of the issue, many of the pubs which are classed as wheelchair accessible are not suitable for large gatherings as the reserved areas are not on the same floor as the toilets so the very few pubs that are actually wheelchair accessible would not be suitable if everyone else is upstairs in the reserved area.

I can honestly only think of one place right now that would be able to do both and it is a horrible pub in the IFSC that is a ghost town on the weekends.

Pembily wrote: »
    Your original post, that is vague, very vague, if you had said it more clearly then Otis might have been able to do something about it. Your next request is the exact same.

I expect a barrage of abuse for the above but while Otis suggested the beers and has organised the venue, it's not his paid or non paid job to do it and there are lots of others here who could have checked it out!

Excuse me, but how the **** is that vague???? Simple question.

Maguined wrote: »
    Dovies has the crux of the issue, many of the pubs which are classed as wheelchair accessible are not suitable for large gatherings as the reserved areas are not on the same floor as the toilets so the very few pubs that are actually wheelchair accessible would not be suitable if everyone else is upstairs in the reserved area.

I can honestly only think of one place right now that would be able to do both and it is a horrible pub in the IFSC that is a ghost town on the weekends.

Thanks for that. :)

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »

It may not be, but the fact that he is responsible for the organisation of the event in the venue, the least he could do is make a phone call? :confused:

Advertisement