Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night Cycling Light Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know if that's great advice. If you've proper lights you should be able to see these things.

I used to use a Cateye Volt 300, which had 300 lumens, and it was grand. I wouldn't recommend anything with less lumens than that though for unlit roads.

I got the Volt 300 and the Rear Volt 50 for about 60squid from swimcyclerun. Fantastic lights. I carry a spare rear light, so if my front ever faded, I can swap out the battery from the rear light. I generally use the lower setting but the high power is more than enough for anything in the unlit countryside.

I was tempted to get the Volt 1200 for the spread of light but as I am on road all the time, there was just no need for it but it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fian wrote: »

That one doesn't ship to Ireland.
    The one I linked to is a set which includes front and back lights , it's the same one that the poster said costs 187gbp.
    It's only 87 dollars, but the delivery and Vat etc bring it up to 120 dollars.
    If the one you linked to delivered to Ireland you would still need to add delivery and VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

I have one of these BBB lights. Works great, loads of light and lasts for hours. The battery pack can also be used to charge a phone or garmin on longer rides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ted1 wrote: »
    That one doesn't ship to Ireland.
    The one I linked to is a set which includes front and back lights , it's the same one that the poster said costs 187gbp.
    It's only 87 dollars, but the delivery and Vat etc bring it up to 120 dollars.
    If the one you linked to delivered to Ireland you would still need to add delivery and VAT

says on the page ships to ireland when i click on it

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    says on the page ships to ireland when i click on it

Must have changed it since I checked, defo said that they didn't . Still comes to 77 euro without taxes, so more or less the same as my link but hasn't got the back light

Back to saying it does not ship to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

ted1 wrote: »
    Back to saying it does not ship to Ireland

parcel motel is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone using Exposure lights? Im in the mood for proper investment so was wondering what would be recommended in their line? Whats the max lumen that is actually needed? I have a Hope Vision 1 as a backup but will have plenty of dark cycling coming up so feel like a 250/350 investment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bambaata wrote: »
    .....Whats the max lumen that is actually needed?...
    In my experience 300-500 is perfectly adequate for unlit roads at pretty normal 25-35km/h speeds. Unless you are doing high speed descents at night, anything over that is overkill and may just cause irritation to other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Just a few safety tips from experience of night rides. Always have a back up light on helmet or in pocket in case your main light fails. Know the roads of your route, potholes or dogs are scary issues. Wear some sort of fluorescent top, that will stand out from a distance for a driver behind you, yellow top is good also when it's not dark enough in the evening as the rear light will not be effective until it's really dark. Clear glasses are handy.
    You are just a small speck on the road for a driver a good distance away better be seen than be cool I know some guys hate wearing yellow.
    Safe riding enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whats the max lumen that is actually needed?

That's down to personal preference, I would say that a 250/350l light is good for roads with street lighting around, enough for a reasonable spot of light in front of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whats the max lumen that is actually needed?
    Lumen is a measure of output. Lux is a measure of how much the target is illuminated, and takes into account beam spread (viewing angle). For that reason in terms of avoiding potholes you're better off looking for lux numbers which are generally measured at 10m. Anything over 50 lux is fine.

Beam spread (viewing angle) is critical. For instance, a point source putting out 10,000 lumens in all directions would be fairly useless as a bike light as it would only illuminate 8 lux at 10m, if I'm using my calculator right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

jntsnk wrote: »
    You are just a small speck on the road for a driver a good distance away better be seen than be cool I know some guys hate wearing yellow.

The yellow bit doesn't fluoresce at night, so so long as these yellow-haters are using reflective stripes somewhere at night, they're about as visible as the standard hi-viz wearers. (Dusk/dawn is a different matter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Anyone using Exposure lights? Im in the mood for proper investment so was wondering what would be recommended in their line? Whats the max lumen that is actually needed? I have a Hope Vision 1 as a backup but will have plenty of dark cycling coming up so feel like a 250/350 investment

I borrowed the Exposure Strada from a friend for a few rides and its damn good.
    Certainly overkill for most situations but you will definitely be able to see all you need and be seen.
    Lots of cash money required though. About €300

There's a newer one out, the Exposure Diablo Mk7, 1300 lumens and it costs' €250, good for a bit of CX training in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Probably been mentioned on here before but what are the cree lights like? All the fellas in the club have them. Cheap and plenty of light from them.

I am after something to light up the road, head lamp for trails at night, light at the back of my bike. Anything else worthwhile for night time road/trail cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned on here before but what are the cree lights like? All the fellas in the club have them. Cheap and plenty of light from them.

I am after something to light up the road, head lamp for trails at night, light at the back of my bike. Anything else worthwhile for night time road/trail cycling?

A single CREE that I got off ebay 2 years ago. It's 1,500 Lumens. And according to testing tonight last about 2.5 hours. Though my test assistant, the missus, didn't actually notice when it went off.

She had one job.

The video does not do it justice tbh. You can see the road ahead for quite a bit in utter, werewolf eating your head off, darkness.

They go for the head first, I've read.

I can't wait for the 6,000 one I've ordered of Aliexpress. They'll see me from the space station. :p

You still need all the usual flashing lights though, for personal safety.

This one is just for cycling in total darkness. The video was taken this morning going up Stocking lane.

It's very dark and quite fuppin' scary.

A single CREE that I got off ebay 2 years ago. It's 1,500 Lumens. And according to testing tonight last about 2.5 hours. Though my test assistant, the missus, didn't actually notice when it went off.

She had one job.

The video does not do it justice tbh. You can see the road ahead for quite a bit in utter, werewolf eating your head off, darkness.

They go for the head first, I've read.

I can't wait for the 6,000 one I've ordered of Aliexpress. They'll see me from the space station. :p

You still need all the usual flashing lights though, for personal safety.

This one is just for cycling in total darkness. The video was taken this morning going up Stocking lane.

It's very dark and quite fuppin' scary.
    While it's a powerful lamp , it doesn't seem to have a god shape, it seems a much lower rated one with better direction and spread of light could do a better job

Seems to have a pool of light directly in-front and then a spot light ahead in the distance... or maybe it's just the video quality...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to agree with ted1, it certainly seems to be a waste. I have a 30 Lumen light that does as much to light the road ahead, if not more. The spot far ahead looks like it would blind oncoming traffic.

Could be the video quality but that's the impression I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Jim Stynes wrote: »

I have one that I got from the 7dayshop (can't remember how much, but I got it with extra rubber bands and a spare battery) last year or the year before. As has been mentioned, the spread may not be the best, but no issue with lighting up rural roads or trails. I usually don't have it on the max setting if I am running, or on fire roads on the bike.

A lot of mountain bikers take the head torch mount off the strap and then zip tie that to their helmet, but I can fit it on the vents - I use the head torch for trail running, so I've resisted that so far.

Broke out the night lights again tonight:

2iw5bly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Broke out the night lights again tonight:

2iw5bly.png

Do you actually own a Volt 6000 or is that from something else? Just saw it on Evans cycles for £649 :eek:. My bike's not worth that!

I wouldn't go out without at least 650 lumen's... as a backup! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Getting these See Sense ICON lights, lots of nice features over and above just lighting the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I thought their first light was very clever, and in fact I rather like the idea of the light getting brighter when you brake.

This shotgun marriage between your bike lights and your phone just seems of no real use to me.

(Not as bad as bluetooth-enabled locks, but still reminds me of Conan O'Brien's quip about is it really too much to ask for a pair of sturdy nailclippers with decent WiFi.)

I Think the funniest bit in the video is when your man spends a fortune on lights, but uses dental floss to lock it.

I mean they must have went out of their way to find such a small wire lock for the thief to cut.

Based on how it looks in that video, I certainly wouldn't be taking up cycling any time soon.

Funny that he crashes into a cardboard box. I expected multiple scenes to follow, where he crashes into a fruit stall after swerving to avoid two burly men carrying plate glass, him cycling over a cliff and then bursting into flames at the bottom of the canyon ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I thought their first light was very clever, and in fact I rather like the idea of the light getting brighter when you brake.

This shotgun marriage between your bike lights and your phone just seems of no real use to me.

(Not as bad as bluetooth-enabled locks, but still reminds me of Conan O'Brien's quip about is it really too much to ask for a pair of sturdy nailclippers with decent WiFi.)

I pre-ordered one of these sense Icon lights, but the whole bluetooth thing is a load of crap. The range on the bluetooth can't be more than 10 meters at best, and that's if you're in the open air, nevermind in a coffee shop. So the idea that it'll be used for security is a joke. But the light seems like it'll be an effective rear for city commutes.

Advertisement