Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

current status of dublin to galway greenway

Options
  • 08-09-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

does anyone know ho close to complete the dublin to mullingar or mullingar to athlone stretches are? i'm cycling dublin to athlone next weekend and thought it might be a nice option if complete but i haven't found anything to confirm that it has opened...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

does anyone know ho close to complete the dublin to mullingar or mullingar to athlone stretches are? i'm cycling dublin to athlone next weekend and thought it might be a nice option if complete but i haven't found anything to confirm that it has opened...

I think the Mullingar to Athlone bit is due to open this month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i know it was due to open this month but heard since that the stretch around moate isn't surfaced yet and by that account looks a long way off. pity, would be a great option rather than the old N6 which is a fairly boring spin

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Drove around parts of it last Sunday it's tarred from Mullingar to past Streamstown( near Horseleap)
    The line runs parallel to the road for a distance after Castletown and there is access there
    You could go from Mullingar to this point and then take road onto moate & athlone
    There's a thread in Westmeath forum too!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

They doing the Rosemount to Moate section this week , ill have a look later and post pics here , even if its not finished you can get off at the end of the tarmac section and do last 3 miles to Moate by road .

thanks guys, both very helpful! now will have to figure out how to access it in mullingar! i don't know the town very well (am an athlone man) and coming from dublin so got a bit of planning to balance safety with not stretching the mileage too far!

• Advertisement

on that, if either of you guys know exactly where i can access from mullingar or nearby please let me know, thanks :D

indeed, it looks like i'll be able to get on it sooner, just need to figure out exactly where this is!

http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/#!meath-westmeath-to-mullingar/crbp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's pretty awful in the parts of Connemara where I cycle - a mingy little bit near Clifden, nothing from Clifden out to Ballyconneely where tourists would love to trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

You can access it from the canal on the west side of the town, or from the roundabout in zone C of the Mullingar Business Park.
    It's the roundabout with the Outdoor Escape bike shop and Trend factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

So will this route be tarred all the way? will it not be like the greenway in mayo where it is more suited to hybrid bikes than road bikes?

it would be great if it was all tarred

Currently tarred all the way from mullingar to moate. They are packing up here and moving to athlone side of moate. 4 lorries of tar parker waiting for the machine. I doubt they will complete moate to athlone before the weekend though

• Advertisement

bog_savage wrote: »
    Currently tarred all the way from mullingar to moate. They are packing up here and moving to athlone side of moate. 4 lorries of tar parker waiting for the machine. I doubt they will complete moate to athlone before the weekend though

so done as far as the golf club? would be brilliant to be able to make it that far tbf

If your cycling from Dublin easiest place for you to access is by going on to Canal at Dublin Bridge and follow canal cycle path (all tarred around Mullingar ) around town until you come to the Athlone greenway access point.
    It's not officially open yet so you'll probably find a half open chainlink/ barrier fence to go thru

so done as far as the golf club? would be brilliant to be able to make it that far tbf

Ah , actually sorry , had a look coming home and the last km to the station & golf club are not done yet , council is working around the station and the others are taring from other side of station to Athlone . Ill update if its finished before weekend . However the surface is good , rolled gravel , you could do last KM on a race bike if you take it easy . You could also get off at exit 2-3 miles before Moate

bog_savage wrote: »
    Ah , actually sorry , had a look coming home and the last km to the station & golf club are not done yet , council is working around the station and the others are taring from other side of station to Athlone . Ill update if its finished before weekend . However the surface is good , rolled gravel , you could do last KM on a race bike if you take it easy . You could also get off at exit 2-3 miles before Moate

thanks a million, really appreciate the update. the good news is that it's the following weekend (planning to cycle down the 18th or 19th, back the 20th) so fingers crossed the extra few days will mean that they can get it finished for me :D

looks like a hell of a surface though, really looking fwd to giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I can see this being a great early morning weekend winter spin on the road bike. It's probably going to be busy with walkers/runners/kids on trikes/etc. I'm in Athlone so this will be a great route but early in the morning will be better because it should be empty. 41km each way will be a nice spin.
    It should also be great for dark midweek spins. Must dig out that 3200 lumen LED light I bought on Ebay and never used.

I must find a decent coffee shop near the end in Mullingar too.

as long as it's just busy with people actively using it and not lads causing trouble it'll be a brilliant addition tbf.

from what i've been reading the last few times i've been down in athlone it might be a while making it across the shannon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Yeah, the Athlone end is going to be tricky. I cant understand why they want to build a new bridge across the river for it. It looks hideous.
    They should add a piece to the existing town road bridge.
    I wonder will the new greenway be suitable for some midweek spins in the dark during winter? It could be a great car-free option to get out and do one or two 30-50km spins each week. Might be a bit odd in the pitch dark with just a light. Might need to use a helmet and handlebar light.
    I suppose if MTBers can go up the Wicklow mountains at night it shouldn't be an issue.

particularly when funding for these things is such a challenge, yet i've also read about a tunnel option to take cyclists in from garrycastle!

unless they think it's hugely expensive to retro-fit either the town bridge or the white bridge you'd definitely think they're better options, assuming you still have a way of separating cyclists from traffic.

that said if they can secure funding for a new bridge and design and build something really visually appealing it could become a focal point for the whole greenway. knowing our lot though there ain't a chance of that happening!

it also sounds like the extension west of athlone could be a very messy process so for now my only attention is on the dublin to athlone stretch!

I believe they are filling in the space between the tracks to make a walking track to keep walkers and cyclists separate. Will be some job. Just be aware there are a couple of high exposed areas where cross wind will be an issue .

Powerful lights whizzing up and down the track in the dark will look like trains again ;)

Couple more pics . Lisnagree crossing between Streamstown and Rosemount

• Advertisement

I spoke to a very helpful guy in Westmeath county council this morning, he told me that the stretch to Athlone is at least 3/4 complete and he's to come back to me to let me know if they think it'll be finished by next weekend (19th). he did say it won't be open but didn't sound too bothered about that bit!

funnily enough from what he said it sounds like a lot of people are already using this for training because the surface is so good, i wonder did the planned grading of this change somewhere along the way? got the impression from him that it wasn't always planned to be such a good finish.

some helpful links from the coco website anyway

general info
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/tourismlibraryartsrecreation/greenway/royalcanalgreenwaywestmeath/

description, access points and google map
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/tourismlibraryartsrecreation/greenway/royalcanalgreenwayroutemap/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Dublin to Galway greenway on a road bike would be beautiful, if it's nice tarmac all the way the other half might be getting a few overnight stays in Galway in the future

Stopped to have a look at it last Sunday at Castletown, at least 15 cyclists passed in the10 mins I was there !
    If the contractors are not working there's cyclists on it

from what the lad in the council was saying this morning, the cyclists are also sometimes there while the contractors are working on it too!

stecleary, agreed although it could be a long time before it's all done! and if the local county councils are the ones who decide on grade of finishes as it sounds is the case from westmeath then it could vary from county to county. tbf even if the surface was the same as the western greenway down by achill it would be more than good enough to belt along on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it a Westmeath Co Co push that has this done? There isn't much info about the Kildare/Meath sections of the Canal Towpath.

Is it a Westmeath Co Co push that has this done? There isn't much info about the Kildare/Meath sections of the Canal Towpath.

probably a combination of the council being proactive, it being a relatively easy win in terms of disruption (with a long stretch being along the old athlone to mullingar railway line) and funding being made available also. tbf the funding piece only would have come about after firm proposals were submitted so it's possible that westmeath were ahead of the others from that point of view.

below suggests the dublin piece is complicated, i had also read an announcement about the opening of a 2.7km stretch near castleknock to great fanfare!
    http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2015/06/dublin-city-council-opens-public.html

below suggests bad news on the kildare front at least, again not sure was it just slowness on kildare council front or if the funding requirements are much greater than westmeath.
    http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2015/05/funding-for-kildare-greenway-not-likely.html

btw, Ivo Brett (dublingalwaygreenway.com) and Westmeath County Council definitely have the best information on the greenway. the official NRA site at http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/ is poor at best.

Wonder would the fact that both canal and rail green ways both go through Mullingar the county town and the rail greenway connects to Athlone Westmeaths 2nd town, whereas in Meath Kildare or Longford they don't go near the main towns !

stecleary, agreed although it could be a long time before it's all done! and if the local county councils are the ones who decide on grade of finishes as it sounds is the case from westmeath then it could vary from county to county. tbf even if the surface was the same as the western greenway down by achill it would be more than good enough to belt along on a road bike.

So you're say I NEED to buy a CX bike

stecleary wrote: »
    So you're say I NEED to buy a CX bike

if you're around 6' 2" and ok with 2nd hand then yes, yes you do :D

i can't say if that comment is independent of my own plans to sell similar :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

if you're around 6' 2" and ok with 2nd hand then yes, yes you do :D

i can't say if that comment is independent of my own plans to sell similar :rolleyes:

You'd get two of me in 6'2"

Advertisement