Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sairus wrote: »
    What's everyone using as their stick config? When I was playing the demo I found the default setting a little iffy on a TE.

Funnily enough I'm playing this on the 360 pad. Its nice to have block/assist/x-ray on the shoulder buttons.

I'll mess around with the stick later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This game has no button config from the pause menu, has to be done from the options menu.

This alone could kill this game as a tournament game.
    I distinctly remember the demo having button config on the character select screen.

Did they foolishly take it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

bush wrote: »
    Thats what im using too

what the **** is FP etc? forward punch?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Pretty much in the same mind as most. It really exceeded my expectations. Comboes are fun and the combat itself is really weighty and brutal. Really hope they patch or tweak online soon. I was messing around with some mates last night and it was really laggy. Alot of fun characters too. I think its a great touch that cyrax and sektor's alts are their human selves and that they actually changed the animations for some moves.

Characters I'm liking so far are jax, nightwolf and quan chi.
    Surprised I havent fought a kung lao online yet. Everythings a combo when your kung lao!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Having great fun with kano and scorpion at the moment after a lengthy period of hating the game over online :D

Combo system is really enjoyable too, was in practise mode for ages today just testing out things and surprising myself with what i could do. So cool when you think of a combo in your head and your able to do it in game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Great game. This is the most fun I have had with a fighting game for a long time. The story mode is good fun. I just need Sony to sort out the PSN now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Loving this game so far. More so than street fighter mainly for the fact it works better on the xbox dpad rather than the sort of swivel movements needed for street fighter. One thing, is it taking ages to find matches online?

Is there a quicker way than what I'm doing which is just clicking ranked and searching for an opponent? Taking agggesss

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I really like the game, but the online is very bad, lots of delay but for some dumb reason its playable. Anyone wants a few games add me on XBL gamertag is RagingHorseBox

Anyone else constantly desynchronising during matches?

Am really enjoying this game so far. Picked it up today and have just been messing about with all the offline modes. I ended up getting it for 360 just because i know far more people on XBL and its better for online chat. Hope the online experience isnt as bad as some people are saying.

Seems a strange choice not to include a manual with the game. I would have thought a fighting game in particular needed one. The training mode is ok but could be clearer. Anybody know what the story is with kombat kodes or where any of the good stuff is in the krypt?
    Sairus wrote: »
    What's everyone using as their stick config? When I was playing the demo I found the default setting a little iffy on a TE.

I have a madcatz fightpad, am using the 4 main face buttons as per default, right shoulder as block, left shoulder as tag in, and the rb and rt buttons on the face as switch stance and throw. This is mainly because i want to dedicate my index finger for blocking and it makes it handy for pulling off enhanced moves and x-rays.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what the story is with kombat kodes or where any of the good stuff is in the krypt?

Heres a good link if you want to avoid wasting koins on art renders

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mortal-kombat-krypt-guide/a-20110419105234763048

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Finally got to hit the lab and mess around with a few combos - just have to work on finding the openings and finishing them now!

Now that I have more of an idea what to do, I'm enjoying it more. That experience will of course be dashed when I meet people who DO know what they're doing... :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Excellent game! I was surprised, I thought it would be rubbish:pac:
    Ermac and Smoke all the way!

Feckin' challenge tower is bloody addictive. Does anybody know exactly how and where you unlock the last couple of selectable characters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Feckin' challenge tower is bloody addictive. Does anybody know exactly how and where you unlock the last couple of selectable characters?
    quan chi and cyber zero are in story mode

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Loving this game! I was hyped so much from the videos relesed on SRK and hoped it wouldn't let me down like MVC3.

Got mine a day before release and played until my eyeballs hurt, always chose Ermac in MK so practiced with him for a few hours and got a few of his combos nailed down, highest being a 12 hit, then jumped online.

Online could do with a patch as its a bit laggy but still playable, King of the hill is QUALITY imo with the respect ratings, thought that was a good addition.

Hoping that Sony get their finger out and get me back online soon :D
    Oh and for those who havn't played online yet.....Scorpion is the Ryu of MK..........every other game someone picks him and spam the **** outta his spear throw :rolleyes:

Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Loving this game! I was hyped so much from the videos relesed on SRK and hoped it wouldn't let me down like MVC3.

Got mine a day before release and played until my eyeballs hurt, always chose Ermac in MK so practiced with him for a few hours and got a few of his combos nailed down, highest being a 12 hit, then jumped online.

Online could do with a patch as its a bit laggy but still playable, King of the hill is QUALITY imo with the respect ratings, thought that was a good addition.

Hoping that Sony get their finger out and get me back online soon :D
    Oh and for those who havn't played online yet.....Scorpion is the Ryu of MK..........every other game someone picks him and spam the **** outta his spear throw :rolleyes:
    pfffft wait till you see smoke, every kid is going to teleport punch constantly

Lol, yeah smoke is annoying too but his combos aren't great, thank god they removed his spear throw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads just a quick question for you's. I'll be buying the game this week.

With regard to the combo's, i found SF completely ridiculous and awfully hard to get the big combo's going. Going online i basically always got my ass whipped, probably by some 12 year old punk as he had these 12, 13, 14 etc etc combo's nailed !!

So... is MK easier to a) Easier for someone like me to be able to achieve a decent size combo and b) when in defence > block/get out of an opponents combo ?

Lol, yeah smoke is annoying too but his combos aren't great, thank god they removed his spear throw :P
    8 hit combo for 33% damage and a 5 hit one for 43%damage are no good to you??

Slattsy, you really don't need massive combo's in this tbh, you can block combo's from the start but if you get caught in one you need two special bars to break it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Slattsy wrote: »

With regard to the combo's, i found SF completely ridiculous and awfully hard to get the big combo's going. Going online i basically always got my ass whipped, probably by some 12 year old punk as he had these 12, 13, 14 etc etc combo's nailed !!

So... is MK easier to a) Easier for someone like me to be able to achieve a decent size combo and b) when in defence > block/get out of an opponents combo ?

The combos are pretty easy from what ive seen. You can break out of combo being done on you by using 2 bars.

Slattsy wrote: »

Yeah it is easier to pull off combos on mk as there is 4/5 hit combos on the command list which you can link into special moves/super special moves and even X-ray moves.

In SF you have to be precise in your timing with combos but in mk it seems even if you put in the command quicker your character still does the combo more often than not.

Hope that helps ya

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cheers lads, all in all this game is shaping up to be a classic from what i've been reading !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

/raises hand

Just going to throw the question out there - does the game skew towards defence?

As soon as you move forward, you risk getting a teleport move done to you. Easy to hold block button in place - no crossups from jump / teleport. Once XRay meter is charged, you want to block all the time just in case you make one mistake and lose %% life!

I'll be able to answer all these questions myself as I get more used to the game. Just wondering what other first impressions are?

🤪

8 hit combo for 33% damage and a 5 hit one for 43%damage are no good to you??

Really? never came across too many online so cant really say, didn't practice with him either but might do after hearing that

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    /raises hand

Just going to throw the question out there - does the game skew towards defence?

As soon as you move forward, you risk getting a teleport move done to you. Easy to hold block button in place - no crossups from jump / teleport. Once XRay meter is charged, you want to block all the time just in case you make one mistake and lose %% life!

I'll be able to answer all these questions myself as I get more used to the game. Just wondering what other first impressions are?
    You can delay your xray if the person is just holding block by not releasing the triggers, a mexican stand off!!

but yeah in my experience a good block can really set you up for some pain, you can throw which can't be blocked but I think the range of your throw should be increaded a tiny bit as you've to virtually be humping them to get it to work

on a side not completed hardest difficulty without using a coninue at last /achievement whore

Really? never came across too many online so cant really say, didn't practice with him either but might do after hearing that
    yup, I just discovered them this morning myself mesing about, his cloud smoke can really **** ya up if you get the timing right

on a side not completed hardest difficulty without using a coninue at last /achievement whore

Impressive!! thats one i cant see me getting, who did you use??

Impressive!! thats one i cant see me getting, who did you use??
    not really cheap as balls to get.
    Smoke and cyrax.

30 second rounds and spam teleport all the time ha ha ha.

currently working on the mastering achievement, have smoke and scorpion in tag trainer eating up some hours while i watch the match :) cuts the time required for mastering all achievement in half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

can u continue the story ? i was on chpater 3 and unplugged my xbox by mistake ugh

Advertisement