Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil Boiler problem or not ?

• 20-02-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My sister is renting a house in Dublin and she was telling me the other day that she thinks it needs a new oil boiler.

The reason she says this is that she says it is eating fuel.

She said she buys 200 Euro of oil and it only lasts max 2 weeks.

Now I think she is using the heating too much, and the boiler is fine.

Reason I say this is that I know you only get a relatively small amount of oil if you only buy 200 Euro worth at a go.
    Also - it's a 4 bed semi (about 1300 sq. foot) and she says she is running the heating for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I guess she should ask to have the boiler serviced anyhow - but does this amount of fuel consumption seem excessive, or I am totally wrong here ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I guess she should ask to have the boiler serviced anyhow - but does this amount of fuel consumption seem excessive, or I am totally wrong here ??

Not excessive but if it requires a service you could expect a small rise in the boilers efficiency and fuel saving should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

no it doesnt seem its the boiler fault, as billy said of course a service will make it a little more efficient but she shoud try and by more oil in bulk as oil companies tend to charge you a min of 1euro a litre on anything less than 400 litres while if you bought 700 litres you would get it for for around 80-85 cents a litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Would fully agree with the others a service will help ensure the boiler is at maximum efficiency but good heating controls are a must when it comes to saving fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

have your boiler serviced by a competent service engineer..get someone to look at the boiler to see that it is sized correctly and baffles are ok and pump pressure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Are you intent on finding old posts to comment on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DGOBS wrote: »

Can be very confusing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

DGOBS wrote: »
    not now that i know how to check the latest.:eek::D

Advertisement