Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to expect from Semi-Private

• 13-08-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

What can you expect from semi-private care when pregnant?.

Should you expect to have the same consultant throughout the pregnancy (where possible) e.g If you go to the 13week (med history/blood test) and are told by the consultant that they wont be (or may not be there) for the 22 week anatomical ...........is that normal or unusual.

If so ? are they your consultant for the term or the consultant who sees you at 20-22 weeks. Reason I ask is that it was my understanding that semi-private and private patients are assigned a single consultant, or is this just for private? not sure???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

That's not my understanding of the rotunda where I will be attending semi-private. I think there are several panels of doctors and you will be assigned to a panel so you have some chance of seeing the same consultant but no guarentee.

It may be different in other hosps though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Holles St sp you have the same consultant each time but the consultant on duty that night/day attends your birth if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

As Moonbeam says in HS you see the same consultant every time (unless they're on hols or something when you're appointments are....). For the anatomical scan, that's performed by Fetal Assessment Unit which is a separate department from SP Clinic so that's done by someone else, and the results are added to your file for your consultant to review at your next appointment with them.

As far as I remember, if you're doing combined care (half hosp half GP) you'll see consultant at 12 weeks, GP at 18 weeks, and consultant again at 24 weeks. Scan is like extra outside of regular ante-natal appointments.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Thanks for the info. Its just that if you havent been through the system you have no idea of what to expect.

Advertisement