Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thoughts and prayers to you guys. Every day is precious and we can often forget that with the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

wow. Superhuman effort by him to pull through, do not underestimate how hard he had to fight there.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Your emotions were wonderfully articulated by the way, very touching

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Thank you very much for writing this. It can't have been easy, but hopefully a little therapeutic.
    I think I'll go hug everyone in the house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm sure this was a big shock for you and your family, glad to hear he's okay. Speedy recovery to Joe and well done to all who acted fast to help him. Best wishes to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I hope ye're all doing ok Olywn and good to read that Joe's on the road to recovery. That must have been one hell of a scary time for you all. Best wishes to ye all and take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Exchanged a pleasant few words with MrStew in both Athlone and DCM last year as I drafted off his large frame for a while during each. Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery. Best wishes to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

So glad Joe has pulled through that. And I was just wondering why I didn't spot you in Bohermeen today. Now I know why!

Wishing you ,Joe and all your family the best while you deal with this and hope everyone comes out the other side stronger. Having seen a cardiologist myself this year, your story feels very close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

Glad to hear that there was a happy ending MS. He was so lucky he was with the club and not on his own somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Wow that was a shock. Delighted he pulled through! He looked great in donadea a few weeks ago.

Hope yourself and the kids are ok.

Exactly what kind of sessions do ye do down there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My God, just read that now. In a state of shock here. Best wishes to joe.

Delighted to hear it had a happy ending. Holy Crap Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just saw this now! I usually love reading your reports O, but reading that brought on a cold sweat- totally shocked!! So glad to hear that he pulled through. Mind yourselves and pass on my best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

What a terrible thing to happen. It must have been such a hard week for you all. I'm so glad to hear he's doing well now and I hope he continues to improve steadily. Hope you're all recovering from the shock and best wishes to you all. Well done to his club mates too. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Very sorry to read this MS, but pleased with the outcome. I can only imagine how much of an unreal feeling it must still be. I can only wish you the very best going forward. The upside is that his fitness will help his recovery. I like that his PB attempt was up there among the priorities. This is going to be tough on you and the kids. While all this going on please make sure you take care of yourself too. We rooting you both of you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Extremely sorry to hear of such a thing happening to your hubbie and your family. Great that he's over the worst, mind yourself, kids and Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Really scary to read that ms. Hope Joe's recovery goes well & you and the kids are ok. Must have been a terrible week. Certainly puts everything in perspective. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I was thinking you were quiet on the logs MS. So glad to hear that Joe is winning his race back to recovery. It's only a few short weeks ago that we stood side by side waiting for the gun in Raheny. Please send on all my best wishes to the big man and hope to see you all very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Best wishes for Joe's speedy and full recovery.

I was actually running down the beach on Tuesday evening and saw the ambulance at Clannagael, was wondering what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What a shock. Glad to see you are both positive Olwyn, pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Again, love to you, joe and the kids. Still in shock, can't imagine what yee have been through.

Poor James too, to have to witness that, is the same guy who witnessed Karl's accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That which does not kill you makes you stronger. Use it, O....let this make you and your family even stronger than you already are, if that is humanly possible due to the strength and love you and your family already possess. No doubt Joe fought the fight, and no doubt his very positive attitude (always smiling) contributed to the outcome.....thank god for the outcome. Take care of yourself so you can take care of Joe and your boys...and if you need anything, anything at all, let me know, I'm only an ocean away. ;) Love to you, Joe and the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm struggling to get my head around this. Absolutely shocking news. Please pass on my best wishes to himself. That was a beautifully written account of the event which has left me moved. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and safe return to running for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

What an incredible shock for you, him and everyone.

There's no doubt that he's a fighter, and I'll bet his speedy recovery breaks records!

Best wishes to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So sorry to hear what happened. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

So glad to hear that he's on the road to recovery. Reading that post, the one thing that strikes me is your strength over the past week is inspirational. My thoughts are with you both, and your boys, over the coming weeks and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

That's a huge shock for you all. Wishing Joe a speedy recovery- it could have been so much worse. Well done to all involved who assisted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just echoing everyone elses comments. Its unreal that it could happen to someone so fit and healthy but obviously it stood to him in recovering.
    Please pass my best wishes onto Joe he's an absolute gent. Look safter yourself and the boys as well.

One thing it shows though is how important first responders can be. Basic CPR knowledge can save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Just to add best wishes and a speedy recovery for Mr Stew.

Scary stuff but I'm sure the fact he's fit and healthy will stand to him in his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Poor James too, to have to witness that, is the same guy who witnessed Karl's accident?

Yes - same bloke (he's a boardsie too). The man is a legend - top man to rely on for support in a crisis.

MS - please God you've now settled into a more stable recovery mode at this stage. I can't imagine the turmoil you went through last week but thankfully you've all come out the other side.

Best wishes to Joe and to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Amazing story and thanks for sharing. As a husband of someone who works in cardiology, you'd be surprised how many common heart conditions are in people who seem physically fit for years.

I'm so happy everything worked out for you. The front line staff in our health service and emergency services, are truly the heroes and guardian angels of our country, and deserve every penny they get.

With advancements in modern medicine, our bodies have become very mechanical, and conditions easily treated. I'm sure he'll be finding out soon enough where the problem lies, will be treated, then back on his feet and lead out a normal life with you and the kids.

Best wishes again x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

This is one of the logs on the forum that i regularly read. Was a shock this morning when i read your latest contribution. Felt like i know Mr Stew from reading all the stories on here.
    Hope everything works out well for Mr Stew, yourself and the rest of the family over the coming months.

Advertisement