Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sherlock [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Class show, excellent script and a nice redo of the Sherlock legend. Very solid acting...i love sleuthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Even Richard enjoyed it...! :eek:

We might have a breakthrough here kids!

The music reminded me alot of the new RDJ movie, but it was the quick fire Sherlock lines and observations that sold it, needed to rewind a few times as the dialogue was hard to hear sometimes. I liked how they addressed the "are they gay" vibes, as for Holmes' brother...bugger!, they got me....i really thought he was Moriarty!

Glad they are keeping his arch nemesis undercover, i used to watch the old ITV Holmes series which was great, but i think this modern take is very engaging and i liked the whole text messages thing.

I do hope we get more backstory on Holmes, more to him no doubt....i mean, you don't have to follow the book series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

saw this mentioned during the week and took a chance on it....very watchable

I know it's a circular reference, but the main character's interaction with people kept reminding me of House

A very 21st Century Holmes - two thumbs up

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

shanew wrote: »
    I know it's a circular reference, but the main character's interaction with people kept reminding me of House

Well the character of House is based on Sherlock Holmes so that would make sense...

Good show... Shame there's only the 3 episodes though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Reminded me of DR. Who.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Any repeat? I haven't been able to find any, apart from on BBC HD (which I don't have) tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

no sign of any repeats on Digiguide at the moment.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Taped it and just watched it there. It was a bit corny but really enjoyable and well put together. Will def watch the rest of the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, it was all a bit Doctor Who, wasn't it? The quips, the fashions, the arrogance - Moffat's Sherlock is not that far away from what he writes for that other show. Still quite enjoyable all the same, with nice little twists on the Holmes fiction.

Mind you, they could have done without the obvious rip-off of the recent movie's soundtrack. That was pretty blatant by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just finished watching it. I liked it.

Esspecially the nods to A Study in Scarlet. May favourite of which was that:
    The perpertrator in the book was a cabbie too. Except that he drove a hansom cab (horsedrawn carriage). He was also apprehended at Baker St in the book so basically it was the same idea here.

The phone reference was clever too but who gets an inscription on a mobile?

Overall very entertaining though and I'm looking forward to next week.

The phone reference was clever too but who gets an inscription on a mobile?
    I know someone who has one..

.. although I'll never tell them to their face that it's absolutely ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 samtyler

That was excellent - good cast , good script - hope it gets an extended run!

7.5 million viewers, is this good for a Sunday on BBC?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a250616/sherlock-premieres-to-75m.html

Anyone knows what the Beeb lok for in terms of ratings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

7.5 million viewers, is this good for a Sunday on BBC?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a250616/sherlock-premieres-to-75m.html

Anyone knows what the Beeb lok for in terms of ratings?

I think they look for audience share as much as figures dont they? I think audience share of 29% is hopefully enough to keep them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i loved this but i had the music from Sir Digby Chicken Caeser running through my head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Really enjoyed the First episode which can usually be a bit slow moving as it is trying to introduce all the new characters but it moved along at a good pace.

I already have it on series link :)

Really enjoyed that. Thought the words popping up on the screen for the text messaging and Sherlock figuring out things worked really well and was a nice effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Enjoyable stuff, despite the fact that the plot was secondary, messy and generic.

Supposedly there should be a second series, but not until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

Really enjoyed it. I heard they won't be making anymore for at least a year as the guy writing it is involved with Dr Who. I've never liked Dr Who but this was excellent. Series linked too.

• Advertisement

unichick wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it. I heard they won't be making anymore for at least a year as the guy writing it is involved with Dr Who.
    Yeah, it'd be at least a year.
    unichick wrote: »
    I've never liked Dr Who but this was excellent. Series linked too.
    [OT]

I never liked Doctor Who.. until I sat down and watched it. Watched the last 5 seasons over 2 months - it's a superb series and is currently the best it's ever been (with Moffat now lead-writer) and Matt Smith kicking arse as The Doctor.

[/OT]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

This was a lot better than I thought. The trailer doesn't really do it justice. Reminds me that I still need to get through the original stories.
    Some of the music was very similar to the music in Dexter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I came in near the end of this but liked it almost immediately. I hope to sit down and watch the full episode tonight, thought it was very good.

By the way, "traditional" Sherlock Holmes is Basil Rathbone, not Jeremy Brett! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

My UPC box decided not to record this tonight :( , and no repeats that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

I thought that was quite poor and I really enjoyed the first ep:(

zimovain wrote: »
    I thought that was quite poor and I really enjoyed the first ep:(

Oh dear :( - one hit wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished watching the second episode & yes, it wasn't a patch on the first. The spark and wit that was in the first episode just wasn't present in the second. Needless to say, Steven Moffat didn't write tonight's episode, and it showed in spades. The zingers and dry humour Sherlock came out with just wasn't present & the less said about the plot the better. Oh, Chinese characters coming out with cryptic wise sayings & bad pronunciation, eh? Lordy, I didn't realise we were watching a show from the 70s. Hah-so, old chinese pwoverb: steleotype chalacters suck baws.

Second episode syndrome is fairly common in TV shows, it's just a shame there's only one more to go. My understanding is that Mark Gatiss (co-creator with Moffat) will write that one, so maybe it will have more of the snappy dialogue of the first (though Gatiss' plotting has been god awful in Dr. Who, so lord knows what it'll be like here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bailed out halfway through as Top Gear was calling (I was going to wait until Tuesday for that) tedious Chinese smugling/sypher/code nonsense, I hope it picked up a bit for those who stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wasn't bad but, as said above, wasn't a patch on the pilot. Now, I know ya shouldn't pick holes in these things as they are pretty outlandish anyway but
    Surely the German tourists would have an German version of the London A-Z and not an English copy

Still looking forward to next week's ep. I mean, it's a bit of entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

First episode excellent, second episode a rather meeh. This seems a motif for Mr. Moffat. However, will tune in for the third.

Advertisement