Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

port charges

• 02-02-2004 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically speaking, if I was to apply to move my DSL connection, what would the applicable charges be? Nothing operator specific here, just want to know what eircom wholesale charge for port connections presently. I had a little look around the comreg site and I came up with €60 from the 1st of Jan this year for a connect or disconnect.

For moving DSL from premises A to premises B, am I right in assuming I'll be liable for a disconnection charge of €60 in A and a connection charge of €60 in B? So, €120 to enable DSL on a brand new phone line (with the same phone number)?

I know the wholesale charges have probably been covered to death here, apologies in advance for my lazyness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Netsource told me they'd do it for free for me, might depend on provider though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well good God.. theres a kick in the pants if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd be more concerned with the 4-7 weeks downtime I was told would happen.

Outrageous tbh. My prediction on the 'process'

1. Unplug port
    2. Cancel paperwork
    3. Apply for 'new' ADSL port
    4. Wait for provisioning
    5. Wait some more.
    6. Bitch & Moan
    7. Wait some more.
    8. Bitch & Moan some more.
    9. Pray
    10. Port is plugged back in.

funny you should mention that madsl, the anything up to 8 weeks of downtime when moving premises doesnt concern me as much as the new line not passing. Don't get me wrong, it most certainly does concern/piss me off but that's life, or at least life with eircom. Ahh won't it be fun from Friday when this whole farce begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I got some very interesting assurances on this from eircom's Liz Lambert (Wholesale Bitstream) She informed me that there should be no downtime whatsoever in making a transfer from one provider to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eircom Wholesale published a documet (Eircom Site, About Eircom, Activities, Wholesale) recently in which they described a new procedure for Bitstream Port Transfer from and to another carrier with NO loss of service ....bar a momentary one as the port flicks over and a new IP is assigned by the new carrier.

This new transfer regime only started on the 27/01/04 but the 8 week new provision palaver should be over. This is if you are transferring from one carrier to another on an existing line. If you are changing address it is probably still a palaver, if you are changing both address and carrier then its probably a new line, new connection situation.

M

Yup, new line & new connection (same carrier). My DSL is gone as of Friday morning now, new line hasnt been connected yet. Can't disconnect my old line because there is still broadband activated on it and so the waiting game begins again...

Advertisement