Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mishkalucy wrote: »
    It is also a sin, as you may well know from the recent diatribe of a certain female politician(lets not go there;)) for married people to have sex if it is not solely for the purpose of procreation.
    It is also a sin for a women to refuse her husband his "marital rights"
    Damn, we bitches be fu*ked:D:D

The above are sins according to who exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

less rod of erection / more rod of correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

prinz wrote: »
    The above are sins according to who exactly?

Eh, the Catholic Church

Eh, the Catholic Church

Wrong.

LH Pathe wrote: »

Less drunk posting from the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I love how that is done by "these girls" in an Immaculate Conception fashion;)

Immaculate conception refers to the dogma that Saint Anne gave birth to Mary who was free from sin, not to be confused with anything to do with virginity or Jesus. Just thought I'd add that.

Wrong.

Are you saying that the Catholic church and therein the bible does not say that sex is fornication and therefore a sin, if not for the purpose of the procreation of life?

marty1985 wrote: »
    Immaculate conception refers to the dogma that Saint Anne gave birth to Mary who was free from sin, not to be confused with anything to do with virginity or Jesus. Just thought I'd add that.

I made that post with reference to another poster who seems to think that these girls get pregnant by themselves(as there is never any mention of the males involved)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Min wrote: »
    Well to have sex at that age means she put herself about, she was not required to have sex, I presume and hope she was not raped, so she did it of her own volition.

She got pregnant at 15. That is 2 years below the legal age of consent in this country, so in the eyes of the Law, its statutory rape. No mention of the boy in question being expelled for such behaviour or being investigated by the gardai. Nope, lets just persecute a young teen girl. :rolleyes:
    micropig wrote: »

So, after having a baby she is the same emotionally as the other girls who haven't? Staying up half the night with a crying baby and hormones raging would ensure this.

Oh and she suddenly knows how to care for a child.

I don't deny her an education. She was receiving one in another school.

She wanted the other school because her friends where there. Shouldn't she be focussing on her education? her friends will not be by her side when she leaves school and she'll have to cope without them then.

Look at my sig. My life as a mother will soon be turned upside down. I will be up half the night with a crying baby and hormones raging and I wont "all of a sudden know how to care for my child" And I want my friends around me during a very new phase of my life who will support me. Oh, and I'm 37. ;)

But this girl has one up on me - I get 6 months maternity leave and dont even assume that I can study enough pass the last three exams that I need to in the course I'm doing. I dont think that I would be able. Yet this girl wants to sit her leaving after being out all 5th year. I'd shake her hand and tell her I am full of admiration for her.

LH Pathe wrote: »

Less drunk posting from the sounds of it.

not drunk; killed my old man so not too fond of it. therefor attacking my persona.. therefor fùck you - nothing suggests drunkenness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I made that post with reference to another poster who seems to think that these girls get pregnant by themselves(as there is never any mention of the males involved)

But there was a male involved for the Immaculate Conception, Joachim I think it was. Mary's father. Immaculate Conception is just the dogma that Mary was conceived without original sin.

Are you saying that the Catholic church and therein the bible does not say that sex is fornication and therefore a sin, if not for the purpose of the procreation of life?

First of all sex and fornication are not interchangeable terms. They are different things when it comes to the RCC. Secondly the Catholic Church teaches that there are two aspects to sex within marriage, procreation is one, sharing lovemaking for the sake of enjoying yourself with your spouse is the other.

Lastly the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church also teaches.. "Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality. These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom." again acknowledging that sex within the marriage is not confined to procreation only.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Neyite wrote: »
    But this girl has one up on me .

How the f*ck has this 14/15 year old girl got one up on you, a 37 year old woman?

You are nearly 3 times her age and you sound the immature one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Misread your post Neyite, apologies.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Neyite wrote: »

Look at my sig. My life as a mother will soon be turned upside down. I will be up half the night with a crying baby and hormones raging and I wont "all of a sudden know how to care for my child" And I want my friends around me during a very new phase of my life who will support me. Oh, and I'm 37. ;)

Why will you be up half the night? you are assuming your baby will be cranky,the hormones will be fine, stop worrying about something that has not happened yet.

Jesus now people are now using the bible to argue this case. :rolleyes: The Bible shouldnt come into it, religion shouldnt come into it, hell even the morality of teenage pregnancy shouldnt come into it. What gives any of us the right to judge that girl?

The bigger picture here is the state allowing a particular religious order to run a school in the year 2012, given that the order deceived the irish people and lied to us frequently for a start, and owing to the more important fact that we are now a multicultural society with a growing population and a mixture of various different nationalities, ,religions, values, morals and ethics.

School prepares us for the working world which religion has f*ck all bearing on unless your a priest, reverend, rabbi etc.

She's not even 16?!! .. Damn.

First of all sex and fornication are not interchangeable terms. They are different things when it comes to the RCC. Secondly the Catholic Church teaches that there are two aspects to sex within marriage, procreation is one, sharing lovemaking for the sake of enjoying yourself with your spouse is the other.

Lastly the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church also teaches.. "Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality. These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom." again acknowledging that sex within the marriage is not confined to procreation only.

The "Rhythm" method:p

Jesus now people are now using the bible to argue this case. :rolleyes: .

It has nothing to do with this case ffs. There was a factually incorrect claim made about Catholic teachings. I corrected them. There was no connection to the case. Roll eyes and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Delancey wrote: »
    What is to be society's ' moral compass ' when it comes to teenage pregnancy ?
    It seems to me that we have all become totally immersed in the view that our past treatment of the matter was utterly backward/dickensian/guilt ridden , etc.
    Now to question or criticise this liberal consensus is to invite the wrath of hordes down upon oneself - now call me an old-fashioned git but children having children no longer seems to be viewed as undesirable - in otherwords there is no shame attached .

Society's moral compass needs to keep it's big intrusive needle away from matters like teen pregnancy for the simple reason that it's not a moral issue. It's unfortunate when it happens, and far from ideal. But not a question of right and wrong.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that teenage pregnancy is less undesirable than it used to be. That's simply not true. But people's response to the issue never actually addresses the problem and seems geared more towards punishing the girl for having sex than anything else. All the while masquerading as concern for the welfare of the child, or the mother-to-be's peers (that one's new to me) or even the taxpayer. Why would you want a pregnant teenager to feel ashamed, on top of everything else? Do you not think she'd have enough on her plate?

There isn't some overly liberal agenda trying to encourage kids to have kids, but there is a recognition that in this country the attitude you outlined below (I know it's not your personal position, just using it as an example) has caused serious problems for women in this country and more of a willingness to challenge it.
    I met a middle-aged woman recently who was trying to find a new home for the family dog ( had him for 8 years ) , her reason ? Well her 16 or 17 year old daughter was expecting and she didn't want a dog in the house along with a baby. I had to bite my tongue to not tell her that when I was that age any girls I knew that found themselves in trouble were the ones that got kicked out of home !
    Not suggesting that is appropriate of course but have we moved too far to the ' liberal ' agenda ?

• Advertisement

The "Rhythm" method:p

Not quite, you may as well say it relates to STM http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070221065200.htm

Society's moral compass needs to keep it's big intrusive needle away from matters like teen pregnancy for the simple reason that it's not a moral issue. It's unfortunate when it happens, and far from ideal. But not a question of right and wrong.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that teenage pregnancy is less undesirable than it used to be. That's simply not true. But people's response to the issue never actually addresses the problem and seems geared more towards punishing the girl for having sex than anything else. All the while masquerading as concern for the welfare of the child, or the mother-to-be's peers (that one's new to me) or even the taxpayer. Why would you want a pregnant teenager to feel ashamed, on top of everything else? Do you not think she'd have enough on her plate?

There isn't some overly liberal agenda trying to encourage kids to have kids, but there is a recognition that in this country the attitude you outlined below (I know it's not your personal position, just using it as an example) has caused serious problems for women in this country and more of a willingness to challenge it.

I agree, things went off thread there for a mo with a quasi theological meander.

@ Prinz
    the beauty(and also the failing imo)of the Bible is that is argues itself out.
    It is the most self contradictory book ever.
    It doesn't matter what piece of scripture you need to use to argue a point you will find another piece of scripture to argue that right back.

@ Prinz
    the beauty(and also the failing imo)of the Bible is that is argues itself out.
    It is the most self contradictory book ever.
    It doesn't matter what piece of scripture you need to use to argue a point you will find another piece of scripture to argue that right back.

In other words you were wrong about Roman Catholic teachings, no problem.

I'd hate to not be blunt in this thread.

She can get up the duff all she likes, apparently. Just don't go parading it around other impressionable kids - in school.

In other words you were wrong about Roman Catholic teachings, no problem.

I'm not wrong and neither are you.
    That as I said is the beauty of the Bible.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

hondasam wrote: »
    Why will you be up half the night? you are assuming your baby will be cranky,the hormones will be fine, stop worrying about something that has not happened yet.

I'm not worried. Its a very much planned and wanted pregnancy and whatever comes I will be delighted to experience it.:)

My reply was to the poster who said that this girl somehow needed the school to lay on lots and lots of support because of her inexperience, her sleepless nights and hormones. My point was that you dont have to be 16 to be inexperienced as a new parent, or want the support of your friends.

I was also drawing a comparison that this girl managed to attend school while pregnant, have tuition at home with a newborn for 10 weeks, and intends to do her leaving cert all with that upheaval that a child to a first time mother involves. I'm saying that in her shoes, I'd find it extremely daunting - and have discrimination on top of that from a person in authority, twice. Fair play to the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I agree, things went off thread there for a mo with a quasi theological meander.

I actually missed most of the theological meandering, it just took me ages to type that out :pac:

I'm not wrong and neither are you.
    That as I said is the beauty of the Bible.

Yes you are wrong. You made a number of claims not about the bible but about the position of the RCC which is a different thing. You are most definitely wrong in what you claimed.

• Advertisement

Yes you are wrong. You made a number of claims not about the bible but about the position of the RCC which is a different thing. You are most definitely wrong in what you claimed.

Meh some people like fairy stories.
    What ever your bedtime read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement