Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about HDMI splitter

• 27-08-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

So my TV has 2 HDMI ports, both in use; Blu-ray player & Sky HD box.
    I have WD media hard drive, but I need to buy a splitter so I dont have to change cables around.

My question is: lets say the blu ray player & sky box are connected through the splitter, but both are turned on, What signal will appear on screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That splitter you're looking at is an output splitter, it's for use where you want to send the same signal to two different devices e.g. to feed two TVs from one source such as a Sky box.

What you're looking for is an input splitter where you're going to connect two or more feeds to the one input port. Generically this is known as an 'HDMI switch', search Amazon and the usual mail order websites and you'll find a few.

This one might fit the bill, you can switch inputs manually with a button on the device or run it in auto mode in which case it will use the signal from port 1 by default and if it detects no signal it will switch to port 2. I'd suggest you connect the Sky box as the primary and the Blu-Ray as the secondary, then when you want to play a Blu-Ray disc, put the Sky box in standby mode and the switch will automatically flip over to the Blu-Ray player. Use the second HDMI port on the TV for the media player.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/startech-com-2-port-auto-hdmi-switch-7B89.html?q=%22StarTech.com%202%20Port%20Auto%20HDMI%20Switch%22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thanks for the info coylemj
    Ive ordered a switch from Amazon and ill hook them up as you describe.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Krieg wrote: »
    Thanks for the info coylemj
    Ive ordered a switch from Amazon and ill hook them up as you describe.
    Thanks again

Can you post a link to the model you ordered from Amazon? The hookup I described was in relation to the one on dabs.ie

Advertisement