Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fairyhouse Market

• 12-09-2007 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Anyone else frequent the Sunday Market. Heaven or what ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yeah, i have to admit to going most weeks. Always in the hope that I'll find some incredible bargain on some really unsual item, but alas, that never happens.
    Still pick up a few things every week though. (that hot nut stand does nice chocolate peanuts and raisins), and theres good deals on some car care stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

It that the place when you can buy rusty stolen tools from a traveller or the latest cinema release on DVD ( complete with popcorn munching man blocking screen)

It that the place when you can buy rusty stolen tools from a traveller or the latest cinema release on DVD ( complete with popcorn munching man blocking screen)

No, that would be more Balbriggan market that you find the DVD's and rusty tools. Fairyhouse is mostly new stuff, and there is pretty much nothing in the way of illegaliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Ah, a years supply of toilet roll for €10, you can't beat Fairyhouse. Mind you I was never brave enough to actually buy that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ha ha! Brilliant! :D - but fairyhouse is pretty good. You can get lost there most weekends with the amount of stalls they have compared to a lot of other markets.
    GDM wrote:
    Ah, a years supply of toilet roll for €10, you can't beat Fairyhouse. Mind you I was never brave enough to actually buy that stuff.

Ah, kitten soft bums all over meath! :D

You can always tell if someone has been to fairyhouse market on a sunday as they have those bloody round stickers stuck to their driver side wing mirror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Archeron wrote:
    No, that would be more Balbriggan market that you find the DVD's and rusty tools. Fairyhouse is mostly new stuff, and there is pretty much nothing in the way of illegaliness.
    except illegal digi boxes that give all channels plus ppv channels for 220 euros ,we also bought a go cart for my son for 250 euros it fell apart we got our money back,but not without threats first. i live close by but would not buy anything there again .........no such word illegaliness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Here if you have a problem with what I sell you knwo what to do.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Those dvd's are shot in what I like to call sombrero vision (picture the guy in a big hat sitting in the cinema trying to ride the camera). My friend got the new Die Hard movie in the market. It was actually decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

GDM wrote:
    (picture the guy in a big hat sitting in the cinema trying to ride the camera).

that's a whole different kind of movie you're talking about there buddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DABOEZ

Can i get to the market by bus, im not driving and wouldnt mind a little nosey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'd reckon huge amounts of stolen goods are filtered through there, I seen several full boxes of King Crisps (in date) for sale for €12, the wholesaler cost price for this is €23. Its stolen, end of.

DABOEZ wrote: »

I don't think there is a bus route along that road. You could probably get a bus to Rathoath and a taxi (or a lift) from there. To be honest though, I don't think its worth the effort of a taxi journey. It kills an hour of a listless Sunday morning, but I wouldn't make too much effort if I didn't have a car.
    There are more car boot sellers these days though I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 glitterbug

Great place for the Mac/Venus blades at least half the price of the shops!! Also a great place for the girlies to stock up on makeup and hair stuff- but a lot of tacky stuff to wade through to get to the good stock!!

Would agree not really worth going unless you have a car.

Lot of cops out there these days hauling in people, must be stolen stuff being sold.
    You wouldn't wanna be out there in a bad mood, people bumping into you etc.
    Must be the best place for people watching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

We go pretty much every week. Mrs Spider has a large collection of silver jewelry now from the guy inside the stand. He makes it himself so it is pretty unique. He even put a lonegr chain on a necklace she bought and then repaired it twice! All free!

We have students stay with us and often take them down there. We used to go to balbriggen, but now the cops are raiding it we never bother. Also it was so disorganised in the layout of the stalls you would miss some. Plus the ground was very mucky!

I have bought lots of good stuff at fairyhouse, the crepe's are to die for, the baby clothes are good value and can be personalised, the stall selling lighter gas, batteries and petrol is good as well. 2 packs of duracells for €5, I get through loads with my radio mics!

All in all good value, just be careful of your wallet/purse and stear clear of the electrical stuff sold by car booters. :D

BTW why are car boot sales not so popular here? When I was in the UK we used to sell at one that started at 8am, then go to buy at one that started at 12:30pm! There was always big ones over the bank holidays as well. Been hard to find them here. There was one we went to in greystones, but there was only about 6 people selling!

Yeh I was at one in England where they had auctions in it.
    Is there space for Fairyhouse to get bigger? Jeez, I can think back to when it was very small. Ashbourne had one also, lot of junk, but some people look for junk, looking for a prticullar part of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Dublin Bus dont go out that far check out bus eireann and see if they stop at fairyhouse or tattersalls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

You can get a 105 from Beresford Place in town and it will pass the market. Not sure how frequent they are on a Sunday though. Also the driver may not stop there as there is no official bus stop as such...

It is Bus Eireann as mantioned above...

Head

Lol. Bus should be ruled out, long walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

Im sure you could ask the bus driver to stop at fairyhouse, they would be well used to it. Actually on their website it gives 'Racecourse' as a stop, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, etc from beresford place, taking 40 minutes to get there. Returning from racecourse at 1.05pm, 3.05pm, 5.05pm, 7.05pm, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thinking of taking a trip down that way myself over one of the weekends. I've heard some good things about it, but then again some bad. Guess the only way I can find out is go down myself and check it out. Do they do much electronics?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Thinking of taking a trip down that way myself over one of the weekends. I've heard some good things about it, but then again some bad. Guess the only way I can find out is go down myself and check it out. Do they do much electronics?

Not really, there is one computer stall which sells discs and such. If I buy anything its from there, good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Not really, there is one computer stall which sells discs and such. If I buy anything its from there, good prices.

What other stuff do they do for computers? Is that stall always there?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    What other stuff do they do for computers? Is that stall always there?

Always there yep, but really, I wouldn't bus it up. Get a lift or just wait till someone is willnig to give you one. The computer stall has different stuff the whole time, good headphones, keys, discs, this and that. Wouldnt be much hardware there but he would get it in, i.e gfx cards and that there

In case anyone is planning to go, I heard that the market is shut Tomorrow (Sept 1st)
    Would be horrible to bus it out to there and find it shut.

its closed for some motor bike show damn have to pay full price for my washing powder. I reckon you could always phone the racecourse in advance to see if the market is on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 monty phyton

I have been going to fairy house market every sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I have been going to fairy house market every sunday.

Jaez, fair play te ye:D

As far as computers, thers not much apart from cheap USB accessories and ink cartridges, the lads that sell the mobile phones usualy have a few laptops(new) for sale but mostly during summer. was up there today. the thing about Fiaryhouse market is its always the same lads there cause they have to pay a yearly fee for thier spot and will be there every week so if you buy somthing and it turns out to be dodgy, you can, 9 times out of 10 get it changed or your money back not like car boot sales where dodgy stuff changes hands all the time and people get burned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Is Balbriggan market still on the go or was it closed down recently?

Advertisement