Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irishtown won't be ready until "Spring 2015"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The marking is complete. it's pretty much done but everything has to be signed off. G V Ryan meet scheduled for July 11 expected to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Haven't been down the club for a while. Is the track back in use again? One of the lads at the club posted this on the Twitter about the quality of the work. Anybody seen it up close or used it? What do ye think?

CIN7TD-W8AA7Uc4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Heard a rumour that parts of it have to be redone.

Wottle wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that parts of it have to be redone.

Just got this e-mail from the Irish Milers Club in the last few minutes

'We have listed the venue as Irishtown Stadium. The track has recently been relaid and is currently awaiting sign off on the completed work. However if we do not have sign off in time for our meet then we will switch to Morton Stadium. PLEASE keep an eye out for all messages emails/facebook and website announcements.'

So sounds like there's a bit of red tape / possible remediary work before the track is open to the public again

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Someone needs to lash in an FOI on the tender. How did Dublin City Councill make such a haimes of this when Fingal were able to do a great job on santry for, if i recall, c. €100k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I'd say you need to add on another zero for the cost of putting a Mondo track into Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

happygoose wrote: »
    I'd say you need to add on another zero for the cost of putting a Mondo track into Santry.

We are looking at Mondo track, just multiply it by 3 and u be close

Ok say it was €300k - €1.0m for mondo, presumably the ****e effort by the nordies will have to be replaced sooner than a good track. Given the debacle to date you'd have to pay for a mondo anyway.

Track reopened today. Did a session there. Track a bit scruffy I thought but I'm no expert. Nice to have it back all the same.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Track reopened today. Did a session there. Track a bit scruffy I thought but I'm no expert. Nice to have it back all the same.

From what I understand, there is a good few things to fix but they've decided to wait until the start of next summer to avoid a repeat of this whole debacle again. Will definitely be good to have it back. Looking forward to the 3k Time Trial already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

From what I understand, there is a good few things to fix but they've decided to wait until the start of next summer to avoid a repeat of this whole debacle again. Will definitely be good to have it back. Looking forward to the 3k Time Trial already :D

Considering the IMC was switched from there to santry today, is it consider not fit for competition at the minute?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Considering the IMC was switched from there to santry today, is it consider not fit for competition at the minute?

For field events anyway it's definitely not ready. The in field is completely overgrown and I also heard rumours that the long jump boards were layed in the wrong position and will need to be re-done. It's so ridiculous that it's almost funny but it's not funny because it affects me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For field events anyway it's definitely not ready. The in field is completely overgrown and I also heard rumours that the long jump boards were layed in the wrong position and will need to be re-done. It's so ridiculous that it's almost funny but it's not funny because it affects me :(

And then they wonder why we are sh1te at field events!

There's also a notable depression in Lane 1 halfway around the second bend. Wouldn't call it a pothole exactly but it seemed to have been topped up with loose grains of whatever you call that rubber compound bound into the top layer. :(

Murph_D wrote: »
    There's also a notable depression in Lane 1 halfway around the second bend. Wouldn't call it a pothole exactly but it seemed to have been topped up with loose grains of whatever you call that rubber compound bound into the top layer. :(

Pictures?

Was anybody at the track the last few days? There's a red cone in lane 7 about 20m from the finish line. Underneath it is a huge rip in the track. Incredible. Say goodbye to any track meets taking place there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Was anybody at the track the last few days? There's a red cone in lane 7 about 20m from the finish line. Underneath it is a huge rip in the track. Incredible. Say goodbye to any track meets taking place there!

Who were the contractors for this?

Who were the contractors for this?

No idea. Whole thing is like the O'Reilly Builders in that Fawlty Towers episode.

No idea. Whole thing is like the O'Reilly Builders in that Fawlty Towers episode.

Oh really?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

little bird mentioned that the new pothole wasn't due to the gang who put in the track. the flood lights had to have bulbs replaced the boys brought in a high lift with extendable arms to make it stable, but they didn't bother putting down a pad to spread the pressure across the track, hence the pothole. but the new light really shows up the hole nicely

• Advertisement

emerald007 wrote: »
    little bird mentioned that the new pothole wasn't due to the gang who put in the track. the flood lights had to have bulbs replaced the boys brought in a high lift with extendable arms to make it stable, but they didn't bother putting down a pad to spread the pressure across the track, hence the pothole. but the new light really shows up the hole nicely

Like something out of Father Ted!

I've been trying not to get riled up about stuff on t'internet but I can't. What level of retard drives a lorry onto a track and digs it up. I wonder who in Dublin city council is accountable for this debacle and if they are suing the developer for the delay and the light installer for digging up the track.

Jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

absolute disgraceful carry on. anything the city council are involved in seems a joke...... no accountability. cru should consider their options.

Which options are you referring to? You mean abandoning the stadium?

dekbhoy wrote: »
    absolute disgraceful carry on. anything the city council are involved in seems a joke...... no accountability. cru should consider their options.

Options? What options?

Santry? Miles away
    ALSAA? Worst track in the Western World
    Tallaght? Limited access for other clubs
    Donore? 300m, and no access for other clubs
    Greystones? A disaster to get to
    Leixlip? Miles away
    UCD? Dug up 4 years ago

There's the options right there!

AFAIK there's a plan for completing the snag list after the recent resurfacing. Can't provide any details though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are there still plans for a DSD track?

Are there still plans for a DSD track?

There are no plans for a DSD track. It's the Marlay track which is the one in the pipeline, and DSD will merely be primary tenants of it, like Crusaders are with Irishtown. I haven't heard of any developments with regards it though. I'll believe it when I see it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There are no plans for a DSD track. It's the Marlay track which is the one in the pipeline, and DSD will merely be primary tenants of it, like Crusaders are with Irishtown. I haven't heard of any developments with regards it though. I'll believe it when I see it!

I was thinking of the info from this thread. Just had a vague memory of there being mention of a track.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86849861

edit: are there still plans for a track in Marlay btw? Any info on that online? All I can find is the link below which suggests this should have been completed in 2014
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/parks/marlay/04_marlaymasterplanreport_final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, my old rugby club [Stillorgan] just bought new land for their own pitches, and all the articles say that their land is right beside where DSD have just bought land....

Advertisement