Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Photo Game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Is it down carrickfinn direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

Not Carrickfinn but it is in the Rosses

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Termonator wrote: »

Great picture. I believe I know where it is but was never at it. Will let it run.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Your name give it away?

St Crone's church, Termon, Maghery? Location here. Great photo btw!

Your name give it away?

St Crone's church, Termon, Maghery? Location here. Great photo btw!

Thanks, yeah thats it spot on, thought the name would be a giveaway alright:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks, yeah thats it spot on, thought the name would be a giveaway alright:)

Where is it please? Want to visit..... Thank you! I "collect " old Churches and that one is new to me..

Any history on it also please?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Quick question on thread etiquette. Do I have to indentify the previous photo before posting one of my own, or can I post a photo anytime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Well at the start it was if you identified the location you chose the next one, but fire away cos its fairly quiet recently so any photos are welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well at the start it was if you identified the location you chose the next one, but fire away cos its fairly quiet recently so any photos are welcome:)
    Agreed.

Fire away :)

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where is it please? Want to visit..... Thank you! I "collect " old Churches and that one is new to me..

Any history on it also please?

Graces7, I have a link to the location on my post. [osi maps]. In terms of history... Built by Saint Crone in the 7th century. Apparently she was a cousin of columbcille.

Here's what I found after a google search... http://burtonport.net/Page3.html

"Termon is a small townland about five miles from the town of Dungloe in the county of Donegal and holds within itself a lot of undiscovered history that may never in its entirety be revealed.The first definite evidence of any human occupation is during the seventh century when a woman by the name of "Crone" brought christianity to the area and built a church there,the ruins of which are still there to-day. She had her own remote off-shore island where she went to pray for long periods of time.She established a religous community and it prospered over the centuries.She later became known as "St Crone" for all her christian works and teachings.Photo above left the ruins of the old church.There are headstones there dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century. There are other headstones that are scarcely visible with the inscriptions completely obliterated by the elements over the centuries."

There are several references to Saint Crone in the Dungloe area
    eg Templecrone - the Parish of Dungloe

Perhaps Termonator has the scoop?

• Advertisement

Graces7, I have a link to the location on my post. [osi maps]. In terms of history... Built by Saint Crone in the 7th century. Apparently she was a cousin of columbcille.

Here's what I found after a google search... http://burtonport.net/Page3.html

"Termon is a small townland about five miles from the town of Dungloe in the county of Donegal and holds within itself a lot of undiscovered history that may never in its entirety be revealed.The first definite evidence of any human occupation is during the seventh century when a woman by the name of "Crone" brought christianity to the area and built a church there,the ruins of which are still there to-day. She had her own remote off-shore island where she went to pray for long periods of time.She established a religous community and it prospered over the centuries.She later became known as "St Crone" for all her christian works and teachings.Photo above left the ruins of the old church.There are headstones there dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century. There are other headstones that are scarcely visible with the inscriptions completely obliterated by the elements over the centuries."

There are several references to Saint Crone in the Dungloe area
    eg Templecrone - the Parish of Dungloe

Perhaps Termonator has the scoop?

Thank you; that is as lovely as that beautiful photo.

So from Dungloe? Next time I get a chance for a day away....The Celts made many saints with just the same reasoning as this.

A few more

10fdmvo.jpg

5ext39.jpg

538pdv.jpg

Pretty much as per Josey's post. Built in the sixth century by St. Crone. It was taken over by the Church of Ireland at some stage also. Burials continued here inside the walls until the 60's or 70's. There is a trail to the site which takes in three holy wells which is known as the Turas.

From Dungloe take the Maghery road and onto Termon and just stop and ask for directions how to access it. You will also pass the Famine walls which are an interesting site up to 12 ft high.

A few more

Oh they are beautiful.. THANK YOU...Will be over that way very soon I think. Am working on a booklet on Celtic and Monastic Donegal and this is totally perfect. Will be for sale soon.

I had no idea it was there; wonder how many more sites there are I have missed? Am planning ten cards with directions to each.

10fdmvo.jpg

5ext39.jpg

538pdv.jpg

Pretty much as per Josey's post. Built in the sixth century by St. Crone. It was taken over by the Church of Ireland at some stage also. Burials continued here inside the walls until the 60's or 70's. There is a trail to the site which takes in three holy wells which is known as the Turas.

From Dungloe take the Maghery road and onto Termon and just stop and ask for directions how to access it. You will also pass the Famine walls which are an interesting site up to 12 ft high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Beautiful pictures. They really capture the church ruins at their best, its hard to get a decent photo of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Lets try reviving this thread :)

Where did I meet this little fella?

DSCF3988.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Near the beach in Rathmullan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Yeah thats the one :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Over a year after the thread started I finally got one ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pete663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pete663

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

is that a grain of sand from Murvagh?

is that a grain of sand from Murvagh?

Looking at it closely, I think it's from Bunbeg!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Is Harveys point... Or Quigleys Point ?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

wait... I think its the Tesco roundabout at the Port Road in Letterkenny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah yes.. From 10 miles up. Now I see it. Damn NW you are good !!

Most of you will know this mountain .. I took it 08 Sept 2001... but where did I take the photo from?

I thought it worthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

From road just passed the entrance to Glenveagh National Park?

Not quite...

Taken about a mile before the turn-off for churchill

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Victorian

I was thrilled to find this site. I believe my g-g-g-g grandfather was rector of this church from 1779 to his death in 1803. His gravestone is probably there altho after 200 years, it may be illegible. If anyone sees a headstone for Rev. Thomas Stewart and his wife Elizabeth Spence and married daughter Mary Leader (died 1838), I would love to know and possibly get a photo of it. I have been searching for this church for a long time and, until now, was not able to find out about it. My ancestors lived on Rutland Island in the 1700s. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Most of you will know this mountain .. I took it 08 Sept 2001... but where did I take the photo from?

I thought it worthy!

Carn mountain? as in the road between buncrana and carndonagh?

Advertisement