Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food intolerance test?

• 11-06-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here done one? What is the point of doing one? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I had a test done found out I've got lactose intolerance and a reaction to bananas.I was eating a banana and a couple of bowls of cereal with probiopic drinks a day I work night shifts so cereal suited me.sweet Jaysus me stomach was in bits.severe bloating the pain was unreal I couldn't sleep.I had only bad day in 4 months so far so good change me diet abit to suit.I got my test done in Newry cos I'm living up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I had a test done found out I've got lactose intolerance and a reaction to bananas.I was eating a banana and a couple of bowls of cereal with probiopic drinks a day I work night shifts so cereal suited me.sweet Jaysus me stomach was in bits.severe bloating the pain was unreal I couldn't sleep.I had only bad day in 4 months so far so good change me diet abit to suit.I got my test done in Newry cos I'm living up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

thestar wrote: »
    Has anybody here done one? What is the point of doing one? Thanks

They tend to be pricey for what they are and not very accurate - the results can vary hugely depending on what you've eaten recently, how you feel etc.
    If you think you have an intolerance to something then stop eating it and see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I'm getting one tomorrow in Enfield (meath) in a local chemist.

Its €170. I've had stomach pains for years, cut out what I thought I was reacted to etc and nothing changed. MY doc did bloods and urine tests and suggested I do an intolerance test because all was clear.

The guy comes in once a month and takes a finger prick and hooks you up to a machine and you have to allow 45 mins - an hour for it. Apparently its the bees knees and you get results there and then.

He tells you what foods or drinks you digest better according to your blood type apparently and can detect things like exposure to too much mercury and other unusual things that could make you tired or ill.

Obviously I have no idea whether it will work yet but the tests are expensive and this seems to be the best value I've found so I'm going to give it a go.

If anyones interested in the details, i'll PM you, if you want to know how it went I will post details ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Sadderday wrote: »

Its €170. I've had stomach pains for years, cut out what I thought I was reacted to etc and nothing changed. MY doc did bloods and urine tests and suggested I do an intolerance test because all was clear.

The guy comes in once a month and takes a finger prick and hooks you up to a machine and you have to allow 45 mins - an hour for it. Apparently its the bees knees and you get results there and then.

He tells you what foods or drinks you digest better according to your blood type apparently and can detect things like exposure to too much mercury and other unusual things that could make you tired or ill.

Obviously I have no idea whether it will work yet but the tests are expensive and this seems to be the best value I've found so I'm going to give it a go.

If anyones interested in the details, i'll PM you, if you want to know how it went I will post details ............

Thinking about getting something similar done through a chemist; they do the blood prick and send it off to Lorisian labs to test against a certain number of foods (from 50 to 150 depending on how much you pay) to analyse the lgG antibody reaction.

Was it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

For anybody in Limerick there's a deal on livingsocial at the moment to get it done, €99 instead of €240!
    Girlfriend did it maybe 2 months ago and found out she's intolerant to wheat, she's complete changed what she's eating (it's amazing how many foods contain wheat) and feels so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Just wondering how you got on? And did your GP recommend a particular type of test? Just curious.

To be honest I'm a little sceptical of them in general, but the whole approach of "just cut stuff out and see" is way too simplistic. As somebody with sensitive IBS-D, everything from hormone cycle, amount of sleep, portion sizes, etc, all seem to impact on me. Eg I could eat the same thing seven days in a row and have seven different days of symptoms.

I don't eat wheat anymore and that's made the biggest difference to me - I felt the best I had in about eight years with symptoms minimised. But over the past month or two I seem to be regressing a bit, so considering other options. But basically my problem is I'm sceptical of everything...
    - IBS as a be-all diagnosis
    - A food test to "solve" the problems
    - Alternatively simply "cutting out" certain foods to work out the problem.

If only there was an easy answer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Okay I know you probably have had this done already but its a complete SCAM! The ONLY way you can test for a food intolerance is with a blood test. You need to test for the antibodies that your body produces when it is in difficultly processing a food - called an IgG antibody. If you have an allergy, the body produces an IgE antibody.

There is only one reputable clinic in Ireland, as far as I'm aware, that comes accredited for intolerance testing and its actually quite affordable.

http://www.fitzwilliamfoodtest.com/

To test for 40 foods its €135.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

color_girl wrote: »
    Okay I know you probably have had this done already but its a complete SCAM! The ONLY way you can test for a food intolerance is with a blood test. You need to test for the antibodies that your body produces when it is in difficultly processing a food - called an IgG antibody. If you have an allergy, the body produces an IgE antibody.

There is only one reputable clinic in Ireland, as far as I'm aware, that comes accredited for intolerance testing and its actually quite affordable.

Hmmmmm......
    http://www.theranos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

I went to Fitzwilliam food clinic and found it very good. trouble now is just avoiding the things I'm intolerant cause sometimes you just don't want too ha

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »

??

Blood sample sizes?? Yes the fitzwilliam food test clinic only asks for a small vial of your blood too, and can be done through a pin prick at home but believe me when I say it takes ALOT of pin pricking your finger to even get that small amount of blood!! Much easier to go in & do it but I did the home route - not fun!

http://www.fitzwilliamfoodtest.com/html/food_testing.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Sorry but IgG tests are a scam as well.
    IgG and IgG subclass antibody tests for food allergy do not have clinical relevance, are not validated, lack sufficient quality control, and should not be performed.
    Measurement of specific IgG antibodies to foods is also unproven as a diagnostic tool.
    There is no credible evidence that measuring IgG antibodies is useful for diagnosing food allergy or intolerance, nor that IgG antibodies cause symptoms.
    Experts believe that the production of IgG antibodies is a normal response to eating food and that this test is not helpful in diagnosing a food allergy.

Interesting reading - cant dispute that. It was recommended by my GP though after having had Coeliac testing & scopes.

But the only thing I can say - my digestive health has dramatically improved after I eliminated the foods that were identified, I know that this can only be considered anecdotal evidence now, but there was half a dozen or so foods that showed up & once I did an exclusion diets of these foods for 3 months, I felt hugely better. Introducing them back into my diet, one at a time, produced interesting results. Nearly all of them caused a reaction. After 12 months, about half of the foods I was tolerance to again but the other half still produce a reaction that is tolerable but not pleasant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Interesting reading - cant dispute that. It was recommended by my GP though after having had Coeliac testing & scopes.

But the only thing I can say - my digestive health has dramatically improved after I eliminated the foods that were identified, I know that this can only be considered anecdotal evidence now, but there was half a dozen or so foods that showed up & once I did an exclusion diets of these foods for 3 months, I felt hugely better. Introducing them back into my diet, one at a time, produced interesting results. Nearly all of them caused a reaction. After 12 months, about half of the foods I was tolerance to again but the other half still produce a reaction that is tolerable but not pleasant!

Did any of these food allergy cause a reaction on your skin can I ask?

Did any of these food allergy cause a reaction on your skin can I ask?

None of these were allergies - they are intolerances. They dont cause the same symptoms as an allergies. But none of the intolerances caused a skin reaction - apart from one, MSG.

I have an actual food allergy but that causes me anaphylaxis so that is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I had one done in the Fitzwilliam place found out I had a milk allergy allergic to the fat in the milk I had it done as I was getting tired all the time and it wasn't a health issue. Now just avoiding full fat products less which helps. Found it to be a great place it was benefit having it done I only did the 40 food test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yellow River

In the distant past, people refused to believe that the world was round. They thought it was flat! That you could fall off if you sailed far from land. When the theory of gravity was first presented, it was denied. Similarly and despite all the evidence, some people still deny the potential of IgG food intolerance tests. As far back as the year 2000, the first scientific paper in support of IgG food intolerance testing was published by Dixon: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10889481

That paper was published almost 20 yrs ago and when these tests were only first being developed. They have spectacularly improved since then. But even then and with those early IgG food intolerance tests, Dixon and his scientific team recorded the impressive results of his trial patients:

1. As many as 70% of his patients experienced a 75% improvement in their symptoms
    2. Of the trial patients, 25% had incapacitating symptoms and they achieved an 80%+ improvement
    Trial Conclusion: "Elimination of IgG positive foods is successful in significantly reducing symptoms"

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yellow River

There was a time when people believed the world was flat. When first proposed, the theory of gravity was denied. Despite all the evidence in support of IgG food intolerance tests, some people continue to deny them.

It was back in the year 2000 when Dixon and his team published their scientific paper on IgG food intolerance tests. At that time, these tests were only in their infancy and have improved spectacularly since those early development days. At that time Dixon and his scientists conducted a study on 100+ patients to assess the benefits associated with the IgG food intolerance test.

That study concluded:
    1. That 70% of the trial patients experienced a 75%+ improvement
    2. That of those studied, 25% had incapacitating symptoms and this group achieved 80%+ improvement

Study Conclusion: “Elimination of positive IgG foods is successful in significantly decreasing symptoms”
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10889481

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

There was a time when people believed the world was flat.

No need for canned responses. You posted this as a reply to 2 convos, and looking at your history you've used the "flat earth" argument already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

In the distant past, people refused to believe that the world was round.
    Lost me after that.
    There was a time when people believed the world was flat.

Sod it, nodded off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I had a test done before. I was found to be intolerance to some degree to all biological foodstuff containing active bacteria.

Advertisement