Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viber Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@Qwerty Dub -
    At this stage Viber can be installed on Desktop + 1 mobile device ('mobile device' includes Tablets, iPads, etc.)
    In the future we might also allow simultaneous installation on mobile + tablet. We'll let you know if we have news about it :)

@foxerv1 -
    Please try to uninstall Desktop, then reinstall it *from our homepage*, and test this issue again.
    Let me know if the issue persists.

@AL93 -
    This is a known issue, and we're hoping to fix it in our upcoming update. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience, and we'd appreciate if you could get back to us after installing our next update and report whether or not the problem has been fixed :)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Viber wrote: »
    Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a brand new product: Viber Desktop, as well as a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 3.0 for iOS and Android.

Viber for Windows/Mac lets you send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on any device and network, in any country!

Unfortunately Viber for Mac will only run on Lion - as I have Snow Leopard I cannot use it ......... :cool:

Piliger wrote: »
    Unfortunately Viber for Mac will only run on Lion - as I have Snow Leopard I cannot use it ......... :cool:

Unfortunately, Viber supports Lion (10.7) and above :(
    You can see it in our official HelpDesk, at: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/417/64/viber-desktop-hardware--system-requirements

Was using Viber this weekend to exchange photos between me and my friend. I am on iOS and she is Android.

When she sent me photos I could easily click on them and save them to my Camera. But we could not find any option to do so on her Android (Xperia Tipo) ... in the end I had to go away and email them to her.

Is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Was using Viber this weekend to exchange photos between me and my friend. I am on iOS and she is Android.

When she sent me photos I could easily click on them and save them to my Camera. But we could not find any option to do so on her Android (Xperia Tipo) ... in the end I had to go away and email them to her.

Is this correct ?
    why didn't you just take a screen shot

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    why didn't you just take a screen shot

The photos are 3Mb.

What difference would that make to taking a screen shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Vodafone blocked Viber in a few other European countries, and it seemed that Viber was also blocked in the UK.
    For now it seems OK, but I need users' input on that.

About the desktop version - this is actually our next goal after the Android version.
    Naturally, it'll take a while before our PC version is fully developed and available for users. As always, you will know once it's ready and/or we need beta testing.

Is desktop version available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Regarding photos and Android, the issue of not saving them I dont think is a Viber one as on my SGS4 all photos sent to me via viber appear in my photo gallery. This was the default behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdaniels

I downloaded viber onto my pc and everything went ok except it keeps saying 'connecting'. I tried to deactivate the account on the pc and then reactivate it but a message comes up saying i have no internet connection when i do have one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

@Piliger -

Please note that Viber does not officially support Xperia Tipo yet, and that may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially supported devices: http://bit.ly/Hm5k9p
    We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to make your device fully compatible soon. When we have news, we'll let you know.

@jdaniels -

Please this page on our HelpDesk for ways to solve this problem: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/456/63/connection-issues

guil wrote: »
    What difference would that make to taking a screen shot?
    I send a nice 3Mb photo .... she takes a screen shot and gets a tiny version of it. :rolleyes:

@Piliger -
    Please note that Viber does not officially support Xperia Tipo yet, and that may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially supported devices: http://bit.ly/Hm5k9p
    We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to make your device fully compatible soon. When we have news, we'll let you know.
    @jdaniels -
    Thanks for that.

However I understood all of these android phones to basically use the unmodified Android system. So why would one phone be different than another running the same OS ? Do Sony modify the OS that she updates the Tipo with ?

I send a nice 3Mb photo .... she takes a screen shot and gets a tiny version of it. :rolleyes:

The screen on the tipo is crap anyway so why would it make a difference?

BigMoose wrote: »
    Regarding photos and Android, the issue of not saving them I dont think is a Viber one as on my SGS4 all photos sent to me via viber appear in my photo gallery. This was the default behavior.

What phone/OS are you using ? On my iPhone5 I have to save them to my Camera Roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

On my iPhone 4 it automatically saved them to the camera roll assuming the viber app was authorised to access the camera roll. It annoyed me though, people sending random crap that ended up in the camera roll so I turned it off.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it also automatically saves photos to the gallery - I've not spend any time yet working out how to turn this off as I've only recently changed phone.

@Piliger -

When we say a device is "fully supported", it means that we have adapted Viber's code to that specific devices, tested to see that it fully works, etc.
    Every device (and even every Android sub-version) has its specific characteristics. So changes (even big ones) could be found in the behavior and handling of Viber in each and every device.

This is usually the story in the Android world :/

@BigMoose -

Note that you have an option inside Viber's settings that allows you not to automatically save incoming media from Viber (when on 3G).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not a tech question - but how does viber make money? Great service and all. Surprised there are no ads on it or anything.

gimmick wrote: »
    Not a tech question - but how does viber make money? Great service and all. Surprised there are no ads on it or anything.

Hi there,

Currently, Viber's focus is on adding new features and integrating with more platforms, as well as improving overall system performance. At the same time, we are working on additional premium services that will generate revenue once they become available. The basic Viber service - Viber-to-Viber phone calls and text messages - will always remain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Hi,

I can since the second to last update, I can no longer reply to cellular SMS through viber. I can receive them and the little purple SMS tag appears beside them, but cannot do it with mine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Viber but this has not helped. Any advice? Otherwise, great service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Hello Viber Rep,

I wish to block certain contacts from ringing me or texting me on Viber. Is this possible?

I've checked the settings and cant find anything to let me do this. Also if it cannot be done at the moment are there any plans to include this function in a future update?

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Regarding Viber desktop, will you guys be incorporating emoticons on it in the future ?

@missmaw -

Hi,
    This is a feature by Viber, that can be easily disabled. Make sure both Viber users enter Viber, go to More-->Settings--> disable "Free reply with Viber"

@John_D80 -

This feature is not yet available, and we plan to add it in future updates. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience :/

@Luckycharms_74 -

Yep. It's in the works :)
    Stay tuned for news and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Hi,
    Posted this in Apple Devices thread, but might get a reply here.

Got my daughter a iPod Touch and set up Viber on it. Problem is she doesn't have a mobile number.
    Thought I was being really clever by using her granny's number (she'll never have a smartphone) to get activation code, but then I started getting messages from her friends, etc.

Was thinking of just buying a sim card for a few quid, using it to receive the activation number, then throwing it away.

Would this work?
    Any other options?

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Posted this in Apple Devices thread, but might get a reply here.

Got my daughter a iPod Touch and set up Viber on it. Problem is she doesn't have a mobile number.
    Thought I was being really clever by using her granny's number (she'll never have a smartphone) to get activation code, but then I started getting messages from her friends, etc.

Was thinking of just buying a sim card for a few quid, using it to receive the activation number, then throwing it away.

Would this work?
    Any other options?

Cheers

No reason why not. It's the method I use for activating Viber on my iPad.

garlad wrote: »
    ...then throwing it away.
    Don't throw it away, just put it in an envelope in a drawer in case you want to use it in the future.

@garlad -

Yep, it will certainly work. Viber requires a working phone number (cellular/landline one) only once, at registration. Then, Viber keeps that identity, and can work solely on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Anyone else getting crazy locations, sometimes i'm at home and then sometimes even though i'm still at home it says i'm somewhere else. My girlfriend is starting to get suspicious.

Liam90 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting crazy locations, sometimes i'm at home and then sometimes even though i'm still at home it says i'm somewhere else. My girlfriend is starting to get suspicious.

Hi,

The Location feature uses your GSM's (cellphone service provider) location signal, and its exact accuracy depends on your network provider. Viber does not use your GPS settings. You may leave your GPS on or you may turn it off. This will not affect the Location feature in Viber.

There may be a slight margin of error, depending which tower captures your location. Viber has no control of this. The information received by the tower is then displayed back to your device within Google maps. If reception is good and you are in a high-coverage area, the margin of error may be 1 to 100 meters +/-. Within large populated areas, with stable state-of-the-art GSM capabilities, the location awareness will have a greater accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

The same issue is still prevalent on Viber. You receive a message and tap the screen to view the message and it's not there. You have to keep opening and closing Viber and maybe then the message will appear.

Advertisement