Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A "Healthy" Alternative To Biscuits

• 26-08-2014 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

I am very active and have a reasonably good diet, don't drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets and I try to avoid processed food. I'm really trying to cut the amount of sugar I take though. I have one particularly bad habit which is I always wind up eating biscuits and the like, particularly at night as a snack. Usually I have them with a cup of tea and it is really that I need to eat something with my tea. It may also be that I don't eat quiet enough sometimes and wind up compensating with snacks which is a bad idea, I know.

Can anyone recommend something other than rice cakes to buy or bake that are more healthy or less sugary than the usual biscuits? I need some sort of snack...

I'd rather not be putting extra sugar into my system, particularly approaching bedtime.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My friend swears by these

http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-bites.html

Calorificly they're equivalent to regular cookies but nutritionally denser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Loads of options really. If it's something your going to do daily

1.) Eat better, bigger more nutritious meals during the day, then you shouldn't need to snack at night.

2.) plan a night time snack as part of your daily intake. dark choc, nuts with strawberries, something like that. Your still getting your treat (if you wana call it that) but within your daily intake, plus it's fairly decent.

3.) make your own snack (loads of recepies online) here's one I make http://www.crossfitpulse.com/chocolate-paleo-cupcakes-with-icing/ or buy 85%+ dark choc. Don't know many people who will eat lots of dark choc at once.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Weirdly if you're going to eat sugar, bedtime is probably the best time to do it as it aids sleep. Also you're going to brush your teeth pretty soon after too.

My vote goes to homemade dark choc covered oat flapjacks.. mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks for the advice, some nice recipes there! The very dark chocolate seems like a good option too, a trainer told me to use this as my "treat" a while ago too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

85% dark choc Lindt - mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Weirdly if you're going to eat sugar, bedtime is probably the best time to do it as it aids sleep.

You've got to be kidding?

Bruno26 wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding?

Nope, tryptophan to melatonin conversion requires a rise in insulin at bedtime.

One of the worst side effects of low carb I had was a really hard time getting to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nope, tryptophan to melatonin conversion requires a rise in insulin at bedtime.

One of the worst side effects of low carb I had was a really hard time getting to sleep.

I'd had thought it had something to do with orexin being suppressed by sugar?

I'd had thought it had something to do with orexin being suppressed by sugar?

Could be too, that's interesting, hadn't heard of that one.

In any case, I don't care how it works but it does for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Could be too, that's interesting, hadn't heard of that one.

Science: the gift the keeps on giving. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Now that you mention it, my sleep was worse on low carb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Essien wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, my sleep was worse on low carb too.

Personally my sleep is deeper - just harder to actually get asleep.

I've twin 10 month old toddlers though so hard to gauge normal sleep at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Yeah my quality of sleep is better. But getting to sleep is a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hey OP. You could try switching to either the chocolate or the orange and yoghurt rice cakes in place of your current treat. One with a cup of tae in the evening stalls the cravings and they're not as bad for you as biscuits, but quite satisfying in the sugar sense :)

Advertisement