Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting To Dublin Zoo

• 21-06-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got some great assistance on here the last time I needed travel advice around Dublin, so thought I'd ask here again.

I'm looking to bring my Sister to Dublin Zoo during the first two weeks in August, and once I get off the bus/train in Dublin, I haven't a clue where I'm going from there.

I'll be travelling from Wexford, so would it be better to get the bus to the Bus Eireann depot, or the Train to Connolly, Houston or Pearce Station, which would be closer to Dublin Zoo?

Also, when I actually arrive at one of the above stations (of which I hope someone will be able to tell me would be the best to go to :D) how do I go about getting to the Zoo? Is it within walking distance, will I need to get a taxi, or perhaps even another bus?

Thanks very much :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

The closet train station to the zoo is Heuston station but if your coming from Wexford by train, this is what I would suggest. Train from Wexford to Connolly station, Luas from Connolly station to either the Museum or Heuston station stops, then it's roughly a twenty minute walk to the zoo. A taxi from either Luas stop would not cost too much.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=heuston+station+dublin&fb=1&gl=ie&hq=heuston+station&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Fingal&cid=0,0,5274192112695369136&ei=La8fTMP_Ko6e4QbJvMCMDg&ved=0CBcQnwIwAA&ll=53.355815,-6.302269&spn=0.004649,0.013797&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

as pervious poster said the wexford train comes into connolly station - not much difference in bus or train as busaras and connolly station are pretty much across the road from each other
    i would suggest you get bus/train then walk up to o connell st ( 5 mins walk) and get bus number 10 - this will take you right out to the zoo enterance in phoenix park
    check out www.dublinbus.ie for times, but they are fairly frequent buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I'd go with the Luas option, it wouldn't even be 20 mins walk. The way the weather has been you could walk easily from Connely station, walk to O'Connell st., turn left to walk towards the O'Connell Bridge, turn right before the bridge and walk up the quays to the park. Its straight all the way and if you get stuck when you get to the park, i'm sure someone will give ya directions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your train comes into Connolly. You can get the LUAS to Heuston from there and then the Phoenix Park Shuttle bus from the LUAS station at Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Another vote for the luas to Heuston Station and either get the shuttle or walk from there!
    If you decide to walk (in my opinion it beats hanging around waiting)) walk back over the bridge from Heuston Station. Turn left at T-Junction. Cross to the other side off road and make your way up towards the New Court House which you can actually see from heuston Station. (use the court house as your guide).Image below
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1123/breaking43.html

You will see the main gate to the Phoenix park just past the court house :)
    Walk down the main avenue. The zoo will be on your right handside. You can't miss it.

I wouldn't dream off walking from Connolly to Dublin zoo. You will be just wrecked tired by the time you get to the zoo as it would take no less then 45 mins and it's safer if you are not too sure of where you are going.

You should also pop down to the small visitor centre to see the restored castle and victorian walled garden whilst you are in the area!
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorcentre/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

it may take you twenty minutes to walk from Heauston to the zoo if you have 20 pints on you at 4 am but under normal circumstances it is about 5 or ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Hi all,

I got some great assistance on here the last time I needed travel advice around Dublin, so thought I'd ask here again.

I'm looking to bring my Sister to Dublin Zoo during the first two weeks in August, and once I get off the bus/train in Dublin, I haven't a clue where I'm going from there.

I'll be travelling from Wexford, so would it be better to get the bus to the Bus Eireann depot, or the Train to Connolly, Houston or Pearce Station, which would be closer to Dublin Zoo?

Also, when I actually arrive at one of the above stations (of which I hope someone will be able to tell me would be the best to go to :D) how do I go about getting to the Zoo? Is it within walking distance, will I need to get a taxi, or perhaps even another bus?

Thanks very much :D

What has possessed you to go for two weeks every day to the Zoo?

Sorry, I'm kinda useless with travel. I brought my friends on an hour long walk to find a gym yesterday, only to realise that the "Little Apples" creche has nothing to do with Applewood Village. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bear in mind the train from Wexford is really slow. you are probably better of getting the bus to Bus aras.

The 10 goes close enough to the zoo from O'Connell st too, that's what I used last time.

A random different suggestion would be bus or train to cork then suburban train to Fota wild life park...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd go with the Luas option, it wouldn't even be 20 mins walk. The way the weather has been you could walk easily from Connely station, walk to O'Connell st., turn left to walk towards the O'Connell Bridge, turn right before the bridge and walk up the quays to the park. Its straight all the way and if you get stuck when you get to the park, i'm sure someone will give ya directions

are you saying its a twenty minute walk from o connell street to the zoo?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have a look on www.dto.ie you can do journey planner for your walk -so whether you decide to walk from connolly or heuston - type in your desitnation and it will give you a walking route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Sundew wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream off walking from Connolly to Dublin zoo. You will be just wrecked tired by the time you get to the zoo as it would take no less then 45 mins and it's safer if you are not too sure of where you are going.

Ah come on, it's a very doable walk and with the nice weather it'd be better than sitting on a crappy Luas. And the most complicated part of the walk to the zoo from Connally is when ya arrive to the park.
    Bambi wrote: »
    are you saying its a twenty minute walk from o connell street to the zoo?? :confused:

Nah, it's about 40, I meant from Heuston, but to be fair wildlifeboy is right, it is only about 10 mins. I walked it about 40 mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

spurious wrote: »
    Your train comes into Connolly. You can get the LUAS to Heuston from there and then the Phoenix Park Shuttle bus from the LUAS station at Heuston.

The shuttle bus has been cancelled, but as others have said- it's not a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

best to get a taxi to the zoo won't cost too much but best bet is to walk back through phoenix park and walk to heuston and get the bus to connolly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Yes, the OPW cancelled the Shuttle Bus service back in January.

I wouldn’t suggest walking all the way down the quays, as your sister (depending on how young she is) would probably be tired out by the time ye reached the zoo.

An alternative suggestion to the ones above would be to go on the Hop On – Hop Off Bus Tour. if it's a nice day the open-top bus experience is very pleasant. There is a 20% discount if you book online, & up to two children aged between 5 & 14 travel free with a paying adult, so, if your sister is aged between 5 & 14 your ticket would cost €12.80 including the discount. If she is under 5 she would travel free anyway.

The tourbus stops at the zoo, so you could get on at any of the stops in town or at the stop on Parkgate St if you’re arriving at Heuston, & continue the tour from there. I’ve done the tour a couple of times & it’s well worth it. One thing – I’d recommend that if you are going to do it to use the Live Commentary one rather than the Multilingual one, so as you don’t have to bother with earphones.

More info Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Remember the Zoo itself is a long walk. So don't tire yourself out walking *before* you get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

How far of a walk is it from the entrance to park that most buses stop at to the zoo? Doing Saturday pray weathers bit better ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

How far of a walk is it from the entrance to park that most buses stop at to the zoo? Doing Saturday pray weathers bit better ha

I made a small google map from heuston station to the zoo:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=St+John%27s+Rd+W%2FN4&daddr=Zoo+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FaABLgMdCgGg_w%3BFcUYLgMd88qf_w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=53.349463,-6.293814&sspn=0.010311,0.027874&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

might help you out there

it says 19 mins walking

Advertisement