Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA chief McCarthy attacks Shatter's record

• 17-04-2012 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

id be inclined to agree with a chunk of what he says here. imo shatter is a joke of a minister for justice.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gra-chief-mccarthy-attacks-shatters-record-547865.html
    17/04/2012 - 16:55:04
    Grassroots garda officers have unleashed a scathing attack on Justice Minister Alan Shatter, accusing him of being soft on crime.

In a broadside on Mr Shatter’s record, the Garda Representative Association (GRA) said he had failed to make any significant impact in more than a year in office.

Directly addressing the minister at its annual conference, GRA president Damien McCarthy said rank and file gardaí felt betrayed and angered by Mr Shatter’s shortcomings.

“So far, you have been soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime, and soft on the proceeds of crime,” he said.

Mr McCarthy, out-going leader of the organisation, which represents more than 11,000 officers, also accused Mr Shatter of overseeing the force’s withdrawal from the heart of the community.

“I conclude that your appointment has so far failed to have any significant impact on policing, you have achieved no more than your predecessors,” he said.

Pointing to the killings of Garda Gary McLoughlin and Garda Robbie McCallion in separate road incidents in Co Donegal, Mr McCarthy said no action had been taken to reduce the threat to lives of frontline officers.

“How long will you continue to gamble with the safety of gardaí, and society, before you rectify this problem?” he asked, at the two-day gathering in Athlone, Co Westmeath.

Mr McCarthy also criticised what he branded the revolving door of the justice system, which allowed criminals to walk free before completing sentences.

“In many cases we see lenient sentences reduced because of prison overcrowding, even when the lives of gardaí have been cut short,” he said.

“Our members are rightly angered and feel betrayed by your shortcomings. We need a minister who is tough on crime.”

The GRA president said the Fine Gael/Labour coalition had failed to establish itself as the government of law and order.

Turning again to Mr Shatter personally, he recalled remarks from the Justice Minister while in opposition, warning about “lawless badlands” because of a lack of new garda recruits.

“Yet now, you are prepared to abandon areas of the country to become lawless badlands by closing down garda stations,” he added.

Mr McCarthy rejected claims that improved communications, technology and transport safely allowed for the closures.

“Let me tell you minister – if a house is being burgled, the gardaí cannot teleport to your assistance; the gardaí cannot police from a remote location by satellite; criminals cannot be apprehended by Skype and we can’t email armed response,” he said.

Mr McCarthy said garda station closures had not been properly thought out.

“Is this how you want to be remembered?” he asked. “As the minister who encouraged the dismantling of garda stations and the creator of lawless badlands?”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gra-chief-mccarthy-attacks-shatters-record-547865.html#ixzz1sJxWEwpu ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Personally, if I was Shatter I would have this idiot fired at the earliest opportunity.

“Yet now, you are prepared to abandon areas of the country to become lawless badlands by closing down garda stations,” he added.

It doesn't get more idiotic than a statement like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

BrianD wrote: »
    Personally, if I was Shatter I would have this idiot fired at the earliest opportunity.

sure if they close the country stations. there would be no where for cops to hide drinking tea and eating biscuits, while the knackers are out robbing houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

the reply....

hes talking sh**e about the cars. they may be there in numbers, but a large number are actually dangerous and should be taken off the road.

also hes wrong about morale. its so badly damaged that it couldnt go much lower

http://www.thejournal.ie/shatter-garda-fears-over-station-closures-are-alarmist-and-irresponsible-420862-Apr2012/?utm_source=twitter_self
    Shatter: Garda fears over station closures are “alarmist and irresponsible”

Updated, 19.07
    THE MINISTER FOR JUSTICE has told the association of rank-and-file Gardaí that comments about the closure of Garda stations and the possibility of a rebound in crime as “alarmist and irresponsible”.
    Shatter this evening told the Garda Representative Association’s annual conference in Athlone that its claims over the closure of some stations – which Shatter said “no longer have any operational significance” were unreasonable.
    “Even more damaging are suggestions that some unspecified action will be taken by members of the GRA to resist change and undermine Garda leadership,” Shatter said.
    “It is talk such as this which I believe is damaging to morale, wrong misrepresents the position of most members of the Force, and risks undermining the public’s confidence in the professionalism, capacity and dedication of the Force to public duty.”
    Shatter took aim at criticism about the closure of Garda stations, saying critics of the proposals “have some explaining to do”.
    Are they seriously saying that the Garda station network must remain exactly as it was at the foundation of the State? Are they arguing that every single Garda station must be preserved forever?Can anyone plausibly contend that we absolutely need 703 Garda stations in such a small country or even all of the 664 that will remain following the announced closures.

Morale

The minister also said he did not believe talk that Garda morale was beginning to sag, insisting there was no reason for spirits to be low.
    “There is every reason for morale to be high, for members of the Force to take pride in the work they do and for all members of the Force to enter into the next 12 months with confidence in their capacity to fulfil their public duties,” he said.
    There was criticism, too, for GRA president Damien McCarthy who was yesterday reported as saying the force had lost 2,000 members.
    Numbers had stood at just under 14,400 at the end of 2010, and were about 13,650 today – “a reduction of just under 800 over the period of 15 months since then – not 2,000 as your President was reported as saying yesterday,” Shatter said.
    The minister further defended criticism of the Garda fleet, saying the stock of 2,600 vehicles held by the force now was up by around 400 compared to five years ago, though he conceded that he wished the fleet could be renewed “at a faster pace”.
    Elsewhere, however, there was praise for the general contribution of Gardaí to the public good, and its work to ensure that the number of serious crimes was falling, as shown in recent CSO figures.
    He paid special tribute to those who had helped to secure the visits of Queen Elizabeth and Barack Obama, who had “also stood up to the thugs who sought to disrupt the visits”.
    “You dealt effectively with serious threats to security posed by a variety of small groups and, in particular, by subversives intent on returning this island to murder and mayhem,” the minister said.
    “The whole country could see the huge contribution you made to what was a national success story.”
    Earlier, the association had reportedly accused Shatter of being “soft on crime”, saying he had ignored its calls for new legislation to prevent attacks on Gardaí.
    RTÉ quoted GRA general secretary PJ Stone as reminding Shatter of comments he had made in 2007 when he described some areas of Ireland as being populated by “lawless bastards” – saying the comment was at odds with his policy of now closing Garda stations.
    Those comments were criticised by Fine Gael backbencher Derek Keating, who said the comments were “over the top”.
    “The introduction of the infamous ‘blue flu’ approach to industrial relations damaged the confidence that was previously held in the Gardaí,” Keating suggested.
    “Everyone acknowledges the difficult job they do on a daily basis, but every citizen, official and employee and has a role to play in the recovery of this State and the Gardaí are no different.”

audidiesel wrote: »
    the reply....

hes talking sh**e about the cars. they may be there in numbers, but a large number are actually dangerous and should be taken off the road.

also hes wrong about morale. its so badly damaged that it couldnt go much lower

http://www.thejournal.ie/shatter-garda-fears-over-station-closures-are-alarmist-and-irresponsible-420862-Apr2012/?utm_source=twitter_self
    are these not sold on to the public and driven around for many more years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Some cars are sold at Auction for next to nothing. The savings the buyer makes means they could well afford to do any necessary repairs or to just use the vehicle for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

as some one who lives in a garda division of over 1000 sq miles, a division which has acess to ony two squad cars, i thourely agree with the cops.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Some cars are sold at Auction for next to nothing. The savings the buyer makes means they could well afford to do any necessary repairs or to just use the vehicle for parts.
    sure they are, back in the days we used to buy them, you could not repair most of them, one had to buy them just by looking at them.

flutered wrote: »
    sure they are, back in the days we used to buy them, you could not repair most of them, one had to buy them just by looking at them.
    what does this mean

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

This is where they now end up after all the best bits have been stripped off them

424006_10150609806274457_673969456_9111854_835360384_n.jpg

• Advertisement

what does this mean
    one could not drive them, plus 96% of them were not drivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Yup,
    We sent an official car to wilsons recently after we had finished with it.
    Low miles, in good nick for an 02 toytayto, but an unfortunate flaw which caused it to empty its sump of its contents without warning.

Lovely car to look at tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't see much wrong with the statement. I'm sure most gardai stationed outside of cities would agree. What I found particularly stupid was Shatter telling the they were wrong and their morale was high. Good job he cleared that one up.

I think you're looking for the wrong person to be fired to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Nice of the GRA president to attack the DF for no reason at all.

Cribbing about AGS not being able to recruit and in the same breath arguing to keep 703 Garda stations open. Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

So you favour a country where people can be removed and silenced for nothing more than questioning the government?

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Find the burglar comment funny considering what happened when Shatters house was burgled.

Advertisement