Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom.net email account on Windows Live Mail

• 06-01-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a colleague's eircom.net mail account on their new laptop. I did this years ago on Outlook Express on the old laptop.

Since Windows 7 doesn't get Outlook Express I am trying to use Windows Live Mail as the mail client.

Are there any particular security login settings for this?

I use the following settings

Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server: mail1.eircom.net

The user name i am using is a the email address minus the domain name.

Anyways Windows Live Mail doesn't connect to the account and i can't see what's wrong?

Any ideas?

Regards,

IronDuke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

You could start by making sure that neither of these boxes are ticked, & if they are untick them, apply the changes & see if that works:

- Log on using Secure Password Authentication
    - My server requires authentication

If that doesn't work try changing the incoming mail server setting to mail2.eircom.net

It's worth pointing out that the outgoing mail server settings should only be set to mail1.eircom.net if eircom is actually their ISP, otherwise they should use their ISP's settings for outgoing mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 IronDuke

Thanks for the reply Jeckle. In the end traffic on the pop3 port was being blocked by a hardware firewall.

Once i added a new rule, the email came in. Incidentally, all the security settings were set as the default, i.e. no security other than password.

Regards,
    IronDuke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Great, glad you got it sorted!

Advertisement