Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A&E behind the waiting area.

• 24-08-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Was watching this the other night, Bit different from HOLBY CITY.
    Maybe the people that like to roar and shout at staff about the long wait should watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HqNn6wwVg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Nice documentary, I've seen them all. (why not watching it on Channel 4 website?)
    - but too be honest after my last experience on A&E... - 5hours wait, one x-ray done, 100eu bill for that.. and its called "free health care".. :rolleyes:
    I could understand long waiting time, old ugly chairs etc if it was free...but - 100euro for this kind of service? :pac: Disaster!

(during those 5 hours ( it was Wednesday) - one elderly lady fell of chair and was lying on the ground for a while untill somebody came, one boy was sitting on wheelchair bleeding from his head, another elderly man white like chalk was barely breathing -I was affraid he will die there)

I hope never again! Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah they are not available on 4od.

Yeah the Health system is a shambles, waaaay understaffed.
    But I just think, you wouldnt shout or lash out at somebody in a shop but some people think they can get away with it in a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

softmee wrote: »
    Nice documentary, I've seen them all. (why not watching it on Channel 4 website?)
    - but too be honest after my last experience on A&E... - 5hours wait, one x-ray done, 100eu bill for that.. and its called "free health care".. :rolleyes:
    I could understand long waiting time, old ugly chairs etc if it was free...but - 100euro for this kind of service? :pac: Disaster!

Cool.

Try seeing how much it costs in America where you pay the full price. Then comeback and moan about having to pay a hundred quid.

CavanCrew wrote: »

Yeah the Health system is a shambles, waaaay understaffed.
    But I just think, you wouldnt shout or lash out at somebody in a shop but some people think they can get away with it in a hospital.

I wouldn't shout at anyone anywhere, ~I know its not nurses or Dr's fault but somebody behind it who is managing the system. I am 100% sure private hospital would be able to provide exelent service for 100 eu per average A&E visit..

They are :

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-ae/4od

• Advertisement

only the first 3 eps tho?

only the first 3 eps tho?

oh, ok, there was more before..

oh, ok, there was more before..

thanks though :pac:

thanks though :pac:

No problem :pac: I can recommend "The Killing" on 4OD, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I work in a hospital.

We were moving an old woman today from A&E. Just as we set off, the nurse said 'oh, she's very aggressive by the way. She might bite/scratch/scream'.

We're not trained to deal with people like that, it's a joke.

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    I work in a hospital.

We were moving an old woman today from A&E. Just as we set off, the nurse said 'oh, she's very aggressive by the way. She might bite/scratch/scream'.

Maybe she was there for 5 hours or more.. I was about to start screaming and biting too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Was watching this the other night, Bit different from HOLBY CITY.
    Maybe the people that like to roar and shout at staff about the long wait should watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HqNn6wwVg

Fantastic, thanks for this. I hadn't heard about this documentary until now, so cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My favourite experience in A&E, waiting three hours in an unheated prefab shed with my elderly mother and being pretty much told to sit down and shut up when I finally asked how much longer we'd have to wait. When we finally got into the triage, the mother was sorted straight away and the nurse told us that she should have been sent in straight away.

On the way out I told that long suffering angel behind the counter that she was a g**bag and would hopefully die roaring, or words to that effect.

I used to have a lot of sympathy for hospital staff but having actually spent time with people in hospitals over the last few years, I would now rank them somewhere below journalists for ethics and below bank directors for competence.

brummytom wrote: »
    I work in a hospital.

Haha yeah it is, and the training you do get basically just teaches you to BLOCK punches or walk away. load of bollox. you cant walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Ive been watching that one, was good behind the scenes look alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I wouldn't shout at anyone anywhere, ~I know its not nurses or Dr's fault but somebody behind it who is managing the system. I am 100% sure private hospital would be able to provide exelent service for 100 eu per average A&E visit..

Of course they could. Unless you're a drug addict, homeless, elderly, poor,pscyhciatricly ill, chronically ill and all the other ills and problems of society that private a and e's dont have to or want to deal with due to the resources that they hog.

A public A and E on the other hand has to deal with everyone that comes through their door. They can't cherrypick the cases that will be profitable.

Also try going into one of the private a and e's whilst having a heart attack. You know what they will do? Call 999 for a state funded ambulance to bring you to a real A and E i.e a state funded one.

They aint a and e's no matter whatb they call themselves and thats why you dont wait around for hours to be treated

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bambi wrote: »
    My favourite experience in A&E, waiting three hours in an unheated prefab shed with my elderly mother and being pretty much told to sit down and shut up when I finally asked how much longer we'd have to wait. When we finally got into the triage, the mother was sorted straight away and the nurse told us that she should have been sent in straight away.

On the way out I told that long suffering angel behind the counter that she was a g**bag and would hopefully die roaring, or words to that effect.

I used to have a lot of sympathy for hospital staff but having actually spent time with people in hospitals over the last few years, I would now rank them somewhere below journalists for ethics and below bank directors for competence.

It is not the people on the front line's fault. It is the managers higher up in offices you get paid a fortune who do not have proper managerial skills and who make bad decisions with funding. Also, blame the government, past and present etc.

And to be honest, 3 hours is nothing to wait in A&E. I've waited for 8 hours with a patient in A&E. And she was still not seen to when I clocked off. She was 83 years old.

Advertisement