Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos Guitars-Any good or a load of sh!t??

Options
  • 11-12-2004 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Avoid Argos guitars like the plague.

Even something like this would be better:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_harley_benton_hb-l400cs_gitarre_prodinfo.html

OR go second hand. Nothing wrong with a second hand guitar for your first guitar. Mine was second hand, now I'm a gear nazi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Load of ****
    Pile of gick
    Ensemble of arse offerings
    Congregation of crap
    Bum Splatter
    Steaming poop mountain

Yes, you can use any of these terms to describe the guitars sold in Argos. :)

Like Feylya said, run the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

They're grand if you need something to smash at the end of your set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They're grand if you need something to smash at the end of your set.

No, they don't even break right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

feylya wrote:
    Avoid Argos guitars like the plague.

Even something like this would be better:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_harley_benton_hb-l400cs_gitarre_prodinfo.html

OR go second hand. Nothing wrong with a second hand guitar for your first guitar. Mine was second hand, now I'm a gear nazi :D

Yeah those Harley Benton guitars seem to be great value beginer guitars. Definitely beter than what you'd get in Argos anyway. Something like this or this wouldnt be a bad beginers guitar either. Ash bodied Tele copy with a maple neck for €100 or an alder bodied 24 fret strat copy with h-s-h pickup configuration and a maple neck for €135. Hmmm whats the catch?

• Advertisement

The catch is that it's not eh best worksmanship or hardware but I've seen far worse. Like a "high end " Aria....made of plywood :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

It's all relative. :) Plywood is great if you're talking about making an amp speaker enclosure and the alternatives are MDF or chipboard.

Yeah, but you're not looking for that much tone from a speaker cab. It's from the speakers.

But when it's a guitar body??...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

What guitar is it? I had to get a cheap guitar a few years and got a Squier Strat from Argos. It's a decent enough guitar for a beginner on a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I wish you guys were here to warn me when I got mine :-(

It wasn't actually in argos at the time, twas in a shop in town but when the new argos catalog came in it was in there. :-( My guitar sucks...

• Advertisement
Advertisement