Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting from USB only

• 18-11-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I can only seem to boot up ubuntu with the USB. Theres no grub menu and it boots straight to windows 8.
    I tried the following solution but it didnt work.
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Can you clarify what you mean a little? Are you trying to install linux onto a USB drive? I assume that if you were at the stage where you were grub-install, you have already been able to boot, and install, linux in some form.

Just at a guess I'd say that you are working with a UEFI system. You may have to add a pointer to grub manually in the bootloader menu. One thing I would check, is if you do a "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" (-l is the switch to list partitions) you should see a partition with the type "EFI System" (and possibly on /dev/sdb also, if you are actually trying to install to USB). If you mount that partition, it should contain a directory called EFI, and a sub directory, one for windows and another for grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

Knasher wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean a little? Are you trying to install linux onto a USB drive? I assume that if you were at the stage where you were grub-install, you have already been able to boot, and install, linux in some form.

Just at a guess I'd say that you are working with a UEFI system. You may have to add a pointer to grub manually in the bootloader menu. One thing I would check, is if you do a "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" (-l is the switch to list partitions) you should see a partition with the type "EFI System" (and possibly on /dev/sdb also, if you are actually trying to install to USB). If you mount that partition, it should contain a directory called EFI, and a sub directory, one for windows and another for grub.

It was indeed a UEFI system. I changed that and its fixed now.
    Thanks

Advertisement