Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop and other such commercial features on the BBC

Options
  • 25-03-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

I am not discussing the merits or not of The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop which is a reality TV programme on KFC from the shop floor to the broadroom. But am I the only one to question whether this is 3 hours of free advertising in what is supposed to be an advertising free zone? And its not as if KFC is the only chicken shop in Britain. Surely to be fair every fast food chicken joint should get its own 3 hour BBC feature, although that of course is impossible. A question in my head is whether KFC have paid the BBC to do the programme and if so should not the viewers be made aware of that. Where such type series appear on Channel 4 or Channel 5 etc as commercial channels such as the only on Iceland last year I think is perfectly OK but on the BBC I think it is a completely different matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I agree in theory. But the piece is being sold as a "human interest" story rather than being about KFC. I do think there were some negatives (failing store visits, the oppressive conditions for the chickens - if they're that packed as chicks, think of how bad it'll be in there in a few weeks!).

I'm not sure what KFC's involvement is, but you can be sure people will be asking questions of the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kn wrote: »
    I am not discussing the merits or not of The Billion Dollar Chicken Shop which is a reality TV programme on KFC from the shop floor to the broadroom. But am I the only one to question whether this is 3 hours of free advertising in what is supposed to be an advertising free zone? And its not as if KFC is the only chicken shop in Britain. Surely to be fair every fast food chicken joint should get its own 3 hour BBC feature, although that of course is impossible. A question in my head is whether KFC have paid the BBC to do the programme and if so should not the viewers be made aware of that. Where such type series appear on Channel 4 or Channel 5 etc as commercial channels such as the only on Iceland last year I think is perfectly OK but on the BBC I think it is a completely different matter.

That series about Iceland was on the BBC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

I really enjoyed the BBC's "Inside Claridges" the third episode of which was repeated on BBC4 last night. I thought it was a much better series then RTE1's "The Shelbourne".

I've no problem with the BBC contributing to this genre of programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

evilivor wrote: »
    That series about Iceland was on the BBC as well.

Iceland Foods: Life in the Freezer Cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

They done British Airways in the last year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its kinda like 'how does it get made' its useful to get a look inside these industrial practices, show how the modern world works, im sure people may act on what they saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a fan of this sort of thing - the cheapest telly really. All sad piano and pizzicato from hell strings with usually idiotic say what you see narration.

The commercial aspect is questionable I think - as said above the BBC will tell us if queried
    its an insight into whatever they think its an insight into but I tend to think the worst of such blatant hook-ups.

Advertisement