Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Honourable Woman [BBC 2]

• 02-07-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Honourable Woman follows Nessa Stein who, as a child witnessed the assassination of her father who was a Zionist arms procurer. As an adult, inheriting her father’s company, she dramatically inverts its purpose from supplying arms to laying high-spec data cabling networks between Israel and the West Bank. Now in her thirties, her sudden appointment as a life peer, apparently due to her tireless promotion of projects for reconciliation between the Israelis and Palestinians, creates an international political maelstrom. Following the murder of a Palestinian business man, Samir Meshal, after he had just been awarded the latest cabling contract, Nessa and her brother Ephra find themselves placed under the scrutiny of both Whitehall and the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).
    The cast includes Maggie Gyllenhaal, Janet McTeer, Tobias Menzies, Stephen Rea, Lindsay Duncan, Andrew Buchan, Katherine Parkinson, Lubna Azabal, Genevieve O’Reilly and Igal Naor. The executive producers are Polly Hill, Hugo Blick and Greg Brenman

Starts tomorrow night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This shall no doubt be as brilliantly acted and as headbanginly obtuse/frustrating as The Shadow Line.

Bring it on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

On at 9. Finally something decent on a thursday night for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Does anyone know if the 1st episode is due to be repeated on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Addle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 1st episode is due to be repeated on tv?

Is it not on iplayer?

I don't have access to the BBC player.
    I'd prefer to watch it on tv rather than online.

• Advertisement

I don't have access to the BBC player.
    I'd prefer to watch it on tv rather than online.

I don't think it is on BBC 2 sorry

Enjoyed part two rather more, the FBI woman and her taxi was the highlight, very much Blick at his most "Blickness". Pity the Anglo-Jewish family are rather hard to like, the security shenanigans much the best part of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

mafaa wrote: »

Thats disappointing, finding it very enjoyable.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thats disappointing, finding it very enjoyable.

Have yet to watch the show but the fact that it's standalone is great. Far too many one offs end up getting a second series pick up and the writers hastily rewrite what they have to set up that second series.It's nice to have a show which knows what it wants to do and isn't going to try and string it out.

• Advertisement

Why does she sleep in that room?

Why does she sleep in that room?

Its a "safe room" and everyone wants to kill or kidnap her.

I really think this is the show of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Raf32 wrote: »
    I really think this is the show of the summer.

I thought that for the first few episodes, but feel it's slowing down a lot the last couple.

Doesn't help that I'm UTTERLY lost most of the time, have to keep looking up online synopses afterwards!

M.G.'s very. slow. deliberate. delivery. is starting to grate a bit on me as well.

Missed tonight's but hoping some of the cloud lifts - looking forward to it tomorrow night!

Its a "safe room" and everyone wants to kill or kidnap her.

But why the fake bedroom so?
    And would a safe room have to be so clinical looking?

I missed the first episode unfortunately, but still love the show. I think Maggie Gyllenhaal is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Just finished watching the last episode this evening. A fantastic show, very well acted and scripted, loved the music. I was a bit unsure of Stephen Rea and Hayden Hoyle starting of but I came to like and enjoy him greatly towards the end. Hopefully it wins some awards, very impressed with Maggie Gyllenhaal. Definitely the show of the summer for me.

I think it's right to end it at this point, dragging it into a second season would have ruined it, it's nicely wrapped up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Yeah; this, Rectify, and to a lesser extent Happy Valley and Utopia, have been the stand out shows of the summer.

Not sure how I can go back to Homeland after watching this. Phenomenal work, and I can't wait to see what Stephen Rea does next. I've always rated him as an actor, but he's really hit the heights with a George Smiley-esque performance.

I think I prefer the mini-series format to your typical network 22 episode run. This is punchy, direct, no fluff quality. Heartily recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought Stephen Rea was borderline comical at first, he was trying FAR too hard at the posh brit accent! But he fairly settled into it, and he was brilliant in the last few episodes.

I'd had enough of Maggie Gyllenahll by the end, I thought she over-egged the pudding just a bit. Not saying she wasn't brilliant - she was, and that accent! - but it was just a bit OTT for my liking.

My head was in a complete spin by the end of the last episode, trying to figure out all the double/triple/quadruple-crossings that were going on. I'm still not sure I have the whole story straight.

It was quite the body count by the end.

Overall a brilliant series - anyone who hasn't seen it, if it comes up on repeat or on a player somewhere, catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I thought Stephen Rea was borderline comical at first, he was trying FAR too hard at the posh brit accent! But he fairly settled into it, and he was brilliant in the last few episodes.

I'd had enough of Maggie Gyllenahll by the end, I thought she over-egged the pudding just a bit. Not saying she wasn't brilliant - she was, and that accent! - but it was just a bit OTT for my liking.

My head was in a complete spin by the end of the last episode, trying to figure out all the double/triple/quadruple-crossings that were going on. I'm still not sure I have the whole story straight.

It was quite the body count by the end.

Overall a brilliant series - anyone who hasn't seen it, if it comes up on repeat or on a player somewhere, catch it.

Just watched it on US netflix. Best TV in a long time. Head spinning. Looking firward to my first trip to Israel in two weeks time.... ;)

The Honourable Woman, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, starts on TG4 on Thu, 2/4/15 at 9.30pm. Once again fair play to TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Just started now... looks interesting but i get the feeling you'll have to be paying attention... a lot.

Advertisement