Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satelite & Ariel combo

Options
  • 28-04-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

We are looking to change from UPC to the Irish and uk freeview. We are not doing this immediatly as i am getting lost with all the different types of setups available. At the momment the carpet is up in the said room and will be replaced sometime next week so i would like to put in the cable beforehand.

My question, is a standard coax ok for this setup and i have seen some people advising more than one cable to be ran in for reasons i didnt understand due to abreviations and wording.
    And if anyone is feeling really helpful can they shed any light on a choice of setup.
    Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The satellite and aerial signal can go down the one cable to be separated at the TV by a small unit called a combiner/splitter. The reason to run more than one cable is to allow for recording of channels. Two satellite quality cables should be run to allow for this.

Also, run a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable as it would allow for a smart TV without having to rely on WiFi. These cables are cheap and if they can be dropped in, do so.

This is one, but they are available widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

It's aerial. Ariel is washing powder. You mention satellite and then UK Freeview. Freeview is a terrestrial service received through an aerial provided you are in the right location.

If you actually want satellite you really need two satellite coaxes to enable recording while watching another channel. You can combine terrestrial with one of these but if you have floors up I would just put a separate cable in as combiners etc introduce losses mismatch etc. Finally you may want a fourth cable to enable return of satellite receiver output to other rooms. And as Sam says one or preferably two CAT5/6 cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Thanks lads would you have a good link to the wiring diagram and components of this system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@winston 1 - You appear to have a fetish with washing powders. The OP never mentioned washing powder - neither did I. Could you give up this idea that you are the arbiter of other posters spelling. You appear to have missed an actual misspelling or two in the OP's post. I will leave it as an exercise for you to find it.

But please do stop this nonsense of correcting any mention of washing powder or engineers by other posters - it is tedious in the extreme.

Thanks lads would you have a good link to the wiring diagram and components of this system.

Check out the website I linked to - should help.

Very simple, however. Cable goes from the sat dish to your TV. At both ends, connect the splitter/combiner to the common connection. Then connect the Sat connection to the sat dish or the satellite connection on the STB or TV. Connect the UHF connection to the aerial at the satellite dish end, or to the aerial input at the TV end. Simples. You do not need to do this for both cables as you have only one UHF input to the TV.

Alternatively, there are LNBs (the lump that goes onto the arm of the satellite dish) that incorporates a splitter for all the cables.

• Advertisement

@winston 1 - You appear to have a fetish with washing powders. The OP never mentioned washing powder - neither did I. Could you give up this idea that you are the arbiter of other posters spelling. You appear to have missed an actual misspelling or two in the OP's post. I will leave it as an exercise for you to find it.

But please do stop this nonsense of correcting any mention of washing powder or engineers by other posters - it is tedious in the extreme.

The title of the post clearly mentions washing powder. This is not a spelling mistake. It is the use of the wrong word correctly spelled and with an upper case A as it is a proper noun.

Alternatively, there are LNBs (the lump that goes onto the arm of the satellite dish) that incorporates a splitter for all the cables.

Indeed, but they are very lossy on the terrestrial input, and I don't think they are available to match a sky type dish.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Indeed, but they are very lossy on the terrestrial input, and I don't think they are available to match a sky type dish.

He does not have a Sky dish - he has UPC. I have used both types and they work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If running network cables, do not use CAT5, use CAT5e or CAT6. If UPC is or becomes your internet provider, CAT5 maxes out at 100Mb, UPC goes up to 240Mb

He does not have a Sky dish - he has UPC. I have used both types and they work well.

Once again I refer you to the thread title which implies he wants satellite.

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    Once again I refer you to the thread title which implies he wants satellite.

Yes, but not Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Am i rite in saying the aerial is the irish stations and the satelite is the uk freeview

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Am i rite in saying the aerial is the irish stations and the satelite is the uk freeview

Basically yes, aerial is for Saorview, satellite dish for Freesat/Free To Air satellite (Freeview is UK terrestrial like our Saorview via an aerial)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

winston_1 I am very very hesitant to hand out a ban over something as trivial as this but you keep derailing threads over nitpicking.

I am now asking you to confine yourself in your responses to posts to addressing the substantive issues at hand and please ignore trivialities like spelling and job titles. If you fail to abide by this I will have to give you a ban as you have now been told several times.

Everyone else can I ask you not to reply to winston_1's post if he does this again. Use the report post button please.

Advertisement