Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    Your comparing Channel4 and Channel5 with TV3, that's like describing ITV with RTÉ2.

Big brother is too much of a niche programme. It will be lucky to bring in an audience for TV3.

It will more than likely be placed on 3e, with maybe the opening night shown on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    It will more than likely be placed on 3e, with maybe the opening night shown on TV3.

Perhaps. But it's not big news. If TV3 are lucky they might get 150,000 for the Friday night live exit show. (on either channel).

It's a strange article. It keeps to the idea that Viacom were interested and it slightly suggests that they might still be interested. And then a suggestion that UTV are interested???
    Private equity owner Doughty Hanson has stuck a 'For Sale' sign up and buyers - ranging from John Malone's Liberty, Viacom and Carlyle - have been sounded out over a deal. UTV is also likely to be in the frame. Quayle Munroe is handling the process.

Then it says
    My spies tell me that TV3 has scored a massive coup by inking a deal with Endemol to broadcast Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother on Irish television for the first time ever, which is a poke in the eye for UTV.

Is there a byline in the Sunday Indo print edition?

http://www.independent.ie/business/tv3-gets-the-rights-to-big-brother-as-buyers-loom-31171743.html

Wouldn't be surprised if it was written by Nick Webb and that his spy is David McRedmond!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Perhaps. But it's not big news. If TV3 are lucky they might get 150,000 for the Friday night live exit show. (on either channel).

It's a strange article. It keeps to the idea that Viacom were interested and it slightly suggests that they might still be interested. And then a suggestion that UTV are interested???

Then it says

Is there a byline in the Sunday Indo print edition?

http://www.independent.ie/business/tv3-gets-the-rights-to-big-brother-as-buyers-loom-31171743.html

Wouldn't be surprised if it was written by Nick Webb and that his spy is David McRedmond!

Yes, it was in Webb's back-page section - he's written before about touring the Red Rock set, so must be in with the owners!

Last tweet from medialive has the poster regarding ads for Big Brother on TV3 and 3e, so looks like it's official.

Interesting that it states Big Brothers Little Brother On The Side will be broadcast on 3e. So that must mean that the main show will go on TV3. Pretty big move - handing over most of the 9pm/10pm schedule for a large chunk of the summer.

Although you could say that the schedule there at present doesn't help TV3, so they can use this show to fill the schedule over the summer, and then stock up their big hitters with the rugby from September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Best thing about big brother on tv3 is you can record it on sky. I will probley still watch it on channel 5 apart from when I am recording it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Best thing about big brother on tv3 is you can record it on sky. I will probley still watch it on channel 5 apart from when I am recording it.

So you would not watch it live on TV3?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The wife was trying to watch the fashion awards on TV3 last night. It appeared to be shot using a mobile phone. The picture quality was appalling with poor colour, poor focus, and artefacts all over it. They also had poor fades. I do not think I have ever seen such poor quality - even on a mobile phone. It must be the most amateurish programme ever.

How was it possible for a presentation to be of such low quality? Even for TV3.

Looks like Big Brother will start on Tuesday 12th May at 9pm on Channel 5. Probably the worst time for it to start for TV3, as it clashes with their last Champions League game of the season.
    Could see it being moved to 3e, or delayed by an hour and start at 10, but many fans will watch on Ch5 if they have access if it starts late on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

What happening with big brother is it going to be on tv3 or 3e because looking at the first 3 day and it moves from 3e to tv3 and back. If this stay happening people will not know it is on and it will be hard to series link to record.

What happening with big brother is it going to be on tv3 or 3e because looking at the first 3 day and it moves from 3e to tv3 and back. If this stay happening people will not know it is on and it will be hard to series link to record.

I assume the main show is going to be on TV3 as Channel 5, as pointed out TV3 have their last Champions League game the day it begins. It will prob be repeated on 3e as often as possible.

It may have the effect of driving Red Rock, something TV3 have been unable to do with the rest of their schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not much they can do about the Champions League I'm afraid, they're contractually obliged to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Another story in the indo about a takeover. Seems to be the standard copy and paste job of the story published in most papers on Sundays. It suggests a takeover my upc is near.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

It's a no brainer for them even if they had a choice. The Champions League would decimate Big brother in the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

icdg wrote: »
    Not much they can do about the Champions League I'm afraid, they're contractually obliged to show it.

Nor would they want to as it's a rating winner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Another story in the indo about a takeover. Seems to be the standard copy and paste job of the story published in most papers on Sundays. It suggests a takeover my upc is near.

Article in the SBP also, basically the same, the sale is edging nearer with Liberty Global carrying out due diligence on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Cush wrote: »
    Article in the SBP also, basically the same, the sale is edging nearer with Liberty Global carrying out due diligence on the company.

Do Liberty Global run commercial TV stations any where else?

UTV did a due diligence and ran a mile...

Infoanon wrote: »
    Do Liberty Global run commercial TV stations any where else?

UTV did a due diligence and ran a mile...

They ran the Chello set of channels which became the CBS set of channels, they were also shareholders in Sky at one stage AFAIK. They sold the CBS channels to AMC. (Horror, Action, Drama and Reality).

It will look very bad if Liberty decide against buying the channel.

They ran the Chellosuspect of channels which became the CBS set of channels, they were also shareholders in Sky at one stage AFAIK. They sold the CBS channels to AMC. (Horror, Action, Drama and Reality).

It will look very bad if Liberty decide against buying the channel.

Far too many media leaks would lead me to suspect that Liberty will not be the ultimate buyer.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Far too many media leaks would lead me to suspect that Liberty will not be the ultimate buyer.

Do any of the articles even suggest where the leaks are coming from?

Do any of the articles even suggest where the leaks are coming from?

Leaks is the wrong word to use - my bad, the question is who is paying the PR company that is releasing the information to the papers...

• Advertisement

Red Rock as previously pointed out is taking a break from the 6 of June, it will return in September.

Red Rock as previously pointed out is taking a break from the 6 of June, it will return in September.

Probably just as well. With summer coming, soap ratings take a nose dive as the evenings get a lot warmer (along with most other programming excluding GAA matches). Will also allow TV3 to evaluate whether the time and day is correct, and get it ready for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Probably just as well. With summer coming, soap ratings take a nose dive as the evenings get a lot warmer (along with most other programming excluding GAA matches). Will also allow TV3 to evaluate whether the time and day is correct, and get it ready for September.

I don't agree, it's a very good production and just as it's making a mark, it's going to disappear for the whole summer. One night a week for the summer would have been good. RTE cut back on Fair City episodes during the summer, but they don't cut it out completely.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I don't agree, it's a very good production and just as it's making a mark, it's going to disappear for the whole summer. One night a week for the summer would have been good. RTE cut back on Fair City episodes during the summer, but they don't cut it out completely.

It is good but again the schedule surrounding Red Rock is what gets it. This week was good for the show with 120,000 adults viewing it on both nights but supported by BGT, Islander and The People's Debate. The rest of the schedule is muck. Though in saying that TSOCS first the first time got 70,000 on Tuesday night.

IMO TV3 should start to repeat the last 80 episodes Monday - Friday, after all they are going to see a hopeless load of repeats during prime time, many not Irish in origin.

RWC will give Red Rock a bounce in September. Not bad to have people waiting for a series to return either.

RTÉ and TV3 seem to be a bit hypocritcal in this article by Niamh Horan

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tv3-says-kenny-backed-the-wrong-horse-31209789.html
    TV3 is an entertainment channel and Pat is not our brand.

though they do current affairs as well :confused:
    Pat Kenny's strength is current affairs, but in Vincent Browne, TV3 has one of the most respected current affairs presenters of our time.

Meanwhile someone in RTÉ seems confused
    Look how long it took Ray D'Arcy and Marty Whelan to get back in after so many years away.

Ray D'Arcy worked on RTÉ TV while on TodayFM, while AFAIK Marty Whelan hosted a chat show just 2 years after the end of Century (I could be mistake on that).

The TV Insider should be named and quickly fired for this
    I think they might tune in again on the second week, but in the long term? I think Pat is looking at an audience of between 20,000 and 30,000 viewers. He needs to be prepared for that.

UTV Ireland almost every week has had 100,000 viewers or more for the 9pm slot on a Monday Night that not likely to change with Pat Kenny, Kenny will have the novelty factor, if it is good people will stay with him, if mediocre people will give it another go, and then you still be left with 100,000 for the show even if it is useless.

I wish with articles like these sources were named otherwise its really a none story!

I think they might tune in again on the second week, but in the long term? I think Pat is looking at an audience of between 20,000 and 30,000 viewers. He needs to be prepared for that.

That was the strangest quote of a very weird article. That 'source' must not know their current ratings. Monday 9pm is their best slot to start the show, because the Monday night Corries rate the highest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

AFAIK Marty Whelan hosted a chat show just 2 years after the end of Century (I could be mistake on that).

Was it called eleven to one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

That was the strangest quote of a very weird article. That 'source' must not know their current ratings. Monday 9pm is their best slot to start the show, because the Monday night Corries rate the highest.

He'll also get a rating boost from referendum fatigue.

Was it called eleven to one ?

Haha no it was a one on one interview show, he had the NSO play the favourite tunes of the guest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Haha no it was a one on one interview show, he had the NSO play the favourite tunes of the guest.

I can recall him doing a mid morning tv chat show around 93-94

Advertisement