Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between a Hybrid and a Cyclocross

• 23-01-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I 've been persuaded to sign up for Gaelforce - the running doesn't bother me, but I haven't had a bike in years. Now I need to get one.

The Gaelforce website recommends a cyclocross, but I can't even figure out what that means. The few people I've talked to (in shops, etc) assume I mean a hybrid, but I know there's a difference. Both seem to be somewhere between a racer and a mountain-bike, is that right?

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of the differences? I'm looking for something that suits Gaelforce, but isn't going to be totally unsuitable for getting in and out of work in the city too. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

1) This thread probably be in the main forum.

2) Do not spend any money in a bike shop where they don't know the difference between a hybrid and a cyclocross bike. They're either pitifully ignorant of their business or hoping that you are.

A "hybrid" is a poorly defined term generally meaning a road(ish) bike with flat handlebars. They generally have slightly more upright geometry and clearance for bigger road tyres and mudguards. They are a good commuting solution for many people. They are not intended for off-road use though they could, at a push, handle some easy paths dependant on tyre choice etc.
    example example example

A cyclocross bike is a bike intended for cyclocross racing. It looks a lot like a road bike to casual observer. It has drop handlebars but also has clearance for big knobbly tyres and cantilever brakes. 'cross bikes are rarer and more expensive than hybrids, so many small bike shops don't sell them, but I'd bet they're ideal for gaelforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DermoLogical

1) Thanks - sorry, I'm fairly new to boards.ie, I didn't realise I was in the wrong place.
    2) Thanks for the info and the video - very cool and just a little scary. I think that's what I'm looking for.

Any other ideas where I might go (either online or on foot) to get a crash course in what I need to know about cycling? I can ride one, but that's as far as my expertise goes at the moment. I don't expect the boards folks to waste their time on a beginner, but any tips would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

1) Thanks - sorry, I'm fairly new to boards.ie, I didn't realise I was in the wrong place.
    2) Thanks for the info and the video - very cool and just a little scary. I think that's what I'm looking for.

Any other ideas where I might go (either online or on foot) to get a crash course in what I need to know about cycling? I can ride one, but that's as far as my expertise goes at the moment. I don't expect the boards folks to waste their time on a beginner, but any tips would be good.

1) that was more for the mods than you - they can move stuff, we can't. Don't worry about it, but more people will see this thread if it's over there, and that will get you better help than just me.

2) yeah, cyclocross is brilliant to watch isn't it? mad fcukers, but serious skill and power involved in doing it well.

I don't know much about gaelforce and what the terrain is like. There have been threads about it here before though so you might get results from a search. It's not till the summer, right? That's loads of time to get some bike fitness and learn how to keep the crashy crashy to a minimum. Do you have a bike at all right now? If not, well getting one is step one. Then you can think about trying to find places to ride it and people to ride it with.

This board may be a bit matey, but giving tips to noobs is still central to it, I think. We were all noobs once (except tunney, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moved to main cycling forum.

I have no idea whether a cyclocross bike is suitable for GaelForce, but they are great for commuting (if you pick the right one).

I think the "winners" of GF tend to use road bikes and HTFU with the short gravelly sections, but I vaguely recall that the route varies from year to year.

I have a Planet-X Uncle John which I use for commuting, occasional cyclocross racing* and crap weather training. I upgraded the brakes which can be a bit of an issue on CX bikes, but otherwise it's a great bike.

CX bikes are by their nature quite compromised. I'd be a bit wary of buying one for a single event. My Uncle John does not handle as sharply as my proper road bike and is a bit high and heavy. I'm not sure I'd want to road race on it, although it's fine for group cycling. Road racing aside, it's perfect for commuting as it has rack mounts and loads of clearance for mudguards (and crazy tyres for when it gets icy).

* at which I am absolutely hopeless, regardless of equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm looking for something that suits Gaelforce, but isn't going to be totally unsuitable for getting in and out of work in the city too.

Unless you have tons of money I wouldn't buy a bike for one event like the gaelforce. Do you have any other cycling related plans? Sportives? Racing? MTBing? Touring? Triathlons? I would buy a bike to suit the type of cycling you plan to do most and then adapt it to suit the gaelforce if possible.

I read those gaelforce threads and the general consensus seems to be to do the event on a road bike and hope not to get a puncture in the off road bit. Put on wider or tougher tyres too.

Actually Enduro won it on a road bike didn't he? There you go. Problem solved. Road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A cyclocross bike is a bit compromised and specialized (I have a few myself) and as Pete and Lumen say not a good idea to buy a bike for one event. I would suggest buying a road bike as most people who do well in Gaelforce use that, and you can use it for other stuff.

If you think you aren't interested in lightweight road cycling but would find a bike that will take rack and mudguards etc. useful (for commuting or touring) some cross bikes that take these could be a good choice, you can use it on road with slick tyres. Pure race cross bikes don't even have bottle mounts never mind rack/mudguard ones so you need to be a bit careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

niceonetom wrote: »
    A cyclocross bike is a bike intended for cyclocross racing.

I had no idea cyclocross was this awesome.

rottenhat wrote: »

We should do a boards outing to Belgium next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

National championships on in St Annes in Raheny on the 7th of Feb. Should be great to race/watch. Alas I can do neither as I shall be otherwise occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Lumen wrote: »
    We should do a boards outing to Belgium next season.

To watch i hope.... no offence ment...but ...yeah...

CX is pretty much the most awesome cycle sport there is.

Come to the nationals next week and enjoy watching us beat ourselves silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

billy.fish wrote: »
    To watch i hope.... no offence ment...but ...yeah..

Oh no, just for the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Holy God Miley - that's mental stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I read those gaelforce threads and the general consensus seems to be to do the event on a road bike and hope not to get a puncture in the off road bit. Put on wider or tougher tyres too.

Some friend of mine did GFW last year and they told me anyone on road bikes had to carry them on their backs for the last stage. One friend did it on an MTB - On the road stages he was being overtaken by road bikes but on the mountain stage he was pissing by them as they were carrying their bikes on their backs.

I'm considering a cross bike myself - the specialized tricross in particular. I'll be using it for events like GFW and duathlons but also for commuting from Maynooth to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Cross racing is amazing... a topic for another thread perhaps... Cross bikes themselves are just as amazing... pop on a set of slicks... go do a road race...put the knobblies back on and you can do an on road off road spin.... commute to work on it too... bunny hop up kerbs and on the way home head through your local park..... great all round bike... For GF though I can tell you from a very good source who has won the event that a road bike is the way to go.... that is if you're planning on winning the event... if you're not going to win it buy a cross bike... great bike for GF.... then do the cross season on it.... and in between with some slicks on it train and race on the road...

mtbireland wrote: »
    For GF though I can tell you from a very good source who has won the event that a road bike is the way to go.... that is if you're planning on winning the event... if you're not going to win it buy a cross bike... great bike for GF....

Yep - we're looking at it from different angles. My challenge is to finish it - not win it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Macros42 wrote: »
    Some friend of mine did GFW last year and they told me anyone on road bikes had to carry them on their backs for the last stage. One friend did it on an MTB - On the road stages he was being overtaken by road bikes but on the mountain stage he was pissing by them as they were carrying their bikes on their backs.
    Well if he got back up to his original position then fair enough.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60155435&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For anyone interested in the pro cross races, this guy has been following it all season with some great photos.

http://cyclephotos.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DermoLogical

Thanks for all the info, folks. This is excellent.

It's not that I have a load of money to spend, but I'm hoping to get the bike through the bike-to-work scheme, which hugely reduces the cost and effectively gives me free financing too. I figure if I'm going to buy one bike, I may as well buy a good one.

I won't be finishing anywhere near the top of the field. Just finishing will be my challenge - and maybe beating a few of my (equally amateur) friends. It sounds like a cyclocross is the way to go for me. It will do me for Gaelforce, do me for commuting and won't be totally unsuitable for any other cycling I decide to do in the future.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Make sure to change the tyres if using it on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I personally wouldn't recommend a cyclocross for GF, but with one proviso... The course might be changing a bit this year, so until we can see exactly what the new course is we can't be 100% sure of what the best bike is. I carried the bike for about 100 - 200 metres and cycled it the rest. I had no real problems climbing the off road section on a road bike, although it should be noted that I'm primarily a MTBer. On the road sections (97% of the old cycling course) a road bike is without doubt the best bike to have.

I can see the flexiblilty of a CX bike, but personally see it as a compromise on the road, and a waste of time that could otherwise be spent MTBing when off road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

did gaelforce last year with a fairly basic hardtail mtb. was annoying watching the road bikes fly by but no punctures to worry about. the offroad section was pretty short (although that could change this year) and the road was in pretty bad shape. it got much worse in parts but here is a pic so you have some idea.

The GFW site is now recommending cyclocross as the best bike for it. I'm not taking that as gospel - you guys here know your bikes. Just throwing it in the mix :)

It's under FAQ 3:
    What kind of bike should I use for GFW?
    "This is a personal choice. But here is some advice: A cyclocross bike is best with fast rolling semi slick cyclocross tires."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harry74

Orion wrote: »
    The GFW site is now recommending cyclocross as the best bike for it. I'm not taking that as gospel - you guys here know your bikes. Just throwing it in the mix :)

It's under FAQ 3:
    "This is a personal choice. But here is some advice: A cyclocross bike is best with fast rolling semi slick cyclocross tires."

did the gfw in 2009 on a mnt bike with slicks,and again in 2010 on a road bike,mnt bike i had no worries about terrain but heavy and not very fast,road bike alot faster but on and off alot for fear of a puncture,2km in the difference between 2009-2010 and shaved about 10 mins off with racer,this yr am gonna get a cyclocross,was looking at a hybrid but bike shop told me to look at a cyclocross,like you said and like most of us your doing it for the challenge and abit of fun,not during it though,youll f and blind then after say how good it was,enjoy the event

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Dont know what has been changed for this years course but when i did it last year a road bike was definatly the way to go.
    I only had to carry the bike 50m or so on a very technical descent after croagh patrick where most of the MTBers were walking too. Most of the offroad sections are fairly good dirt roads and are no harder to ride on than a cobbled street.

BTW, I was riding a carbon road bike, mavic ksyriums (20/24 spoke:eek:) and 23mm gatorskins. Didnt suffer a single puncture, broken spoke or other mishap all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Hardtails have come on a lot, weight wise.
    Depending on the route (road : off-road ratio) you could go for a light carbon hardtail. Remote lockout essential for GF, I would image.

Rose bikes psycho path range looks good or money-no-object sunn titantium is only 9kg. The S1 is 9.8kg about 1/3 of the price! Expect to change the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Orion wrote: »

It's under FAQ 3:

I think that quote is from 2008 and it was wrong even then.

For Gaelforce the most efficient bike is a road bike with sturdy tyres(such as 25mm gatorskins) and "easy" spinning gears (either a compact chainset or if running a standard 39/53 have a 12/27 on the back)

If you are only going to have one bike to do all your exercise+GF on ;

probably a toss-up between a cyclocross bike or a road bike.
    The road bike is much much better for road spins and racing and the CX bike has the ability to go CX racing and touring (if it has pannier mounts)

Advertisement