Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fan belt noise

• 26-07-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Ok so i was out in the brutal storm/downpour other day..obviously as it was so bad i couldnt see tne dept of the water on tne road

Ended up driving through a flood and now fan belt is making a whizzing noise

Mechanic said to jst spray wd40 on it..drive it and it should fookoff

Is this the case...any other ideas on how to stop it..so annoying it is..no lights on dashboard

Car is a diesel golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wouldnt use wd40 myself... usually a drive would do it if its in good shape

But if you need use brake cleaner - not wd40

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It should go away by itself. WD40 is a water displacer so should work, don't overuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

WD40 + rubber = bad idea.

Just drive it till it goes away, the heat from the engine will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You sure its the belt?
    Could be flood debris rubbing or possibly the water damaged a bearing in the alternator?
    Check there is nothing rubbing first before spraying wd40 on your belt.

Advertisement