Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Drivers caught on mobiles to face €1,000 fine"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

djimi wrote: »
    I agree with this in theory, but banning the use of all phones, even when cradled, is ridiculously over the top. I use my phone in a cradle as my radio nowadays; can I now not change station while driving? There is absolutely no difference between this and someone using a touch screen control panel that is built into their car (or even a bog standard car radio for example).

Once again this country gets the idea right but makes a total arse of how it is implemented.

Not that it matters; Gardai dont enforce the laws that we have, so I really dont see them bothering much with this one either.

You can't come on here and start talking sense like that!
    Don't you know that you can't argue against hysteria. Babies will die! Someone please think of the children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Actually in-car cams should be compulsory and they should all be uploading to a public server where anyone can watch everyone. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Alun wrote: »
    I believe they were performed at one of the big automotive safety testing centres in the UK. They put you in a simulator and can track stuff like eye movements while they put you through various tasks and can also assess your reaction times to hazards etc, so quantitative.

As far as I can tell the idea is that if you're speaking to an inanimate voice you tend to kind of withdraw into yourself and don't pay as much attention to the road as when you're holding a conversation with a real person.

Perhaps there is merit in it, I'd be foolish to disregard the findings of a study I know little about.

Assuming the findings to be true, I'd question to what degree of distraction is allowed? If talking on a phone is too much, what about having a crying baby in the back p, or why is the level of distraction caused by conversation or radio acceptable?

I just think for the problems with driving in this country that talking on the phone shouldn't be a priority, and that the motivation for this law stems from the potential yield of such.

catallus wrote: »
    Actually in-car cams should be compulsory and they should all be uploading to a public server where anyone can watch everyone. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

How about total surveillance. And everyone gets to watch everyone, with an automatic "call the gards" button. I get to review your footage but you don't get to see mine, that goes to someone else. This will be done with fly-sized drones that buzz around your head 24/7. There will also be a gard looking at the live stream.
    If we all live blameless lives, we have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

While I think we can all agree that texting when driving, is an extremely dangerous thing, there becomes a stage when the law begins to look like an ass.

I have a touch screen system in my car, for gps, aircon, radio etc. It seems that playing with this to my hearts content while driving, is perfectly ok, legally speaking. You would really want to get a proper arse of a Guard, and judge for that matter, to be hit with a 'driving without due care' charge for using your factory screen.

But hitting in new gps location into a mounted smart phone, which essentially is the exact same thing, is potentially punishable by a possible 3 month prison sentence for a second offence?

There should be a level of consistency in the law, but as it stands, it's quite the opposite.

• Advertisement

The following should also be banned:
    Fiddling with the heater and blower, taking your hands off the wheel under any circumstances, including changing gear, looking at the dash, fiddling with the radio, talking to passengers, opening or closing windows, scratching, sneezing, yawning, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ted1 wrote: »
    The new iOS has specific features for use in cars and all the new integration will be in top level cars this year. It won't take too long to trickle down. You will see it being more and more usefull and functional.

What was your thesis on?

My Thesis was a M.Eng covering Active Noise Control with smart phone integration. Not strictly part of the thesis but something I did on the side whilst testing because cars give great noise scenarios. I agree iOS etc is becoming car integrated but we're looking at 5+ years before that comes down to the average family hatch back. And given that I've seen 131 high end saloons with drivers on the phone in their ear, I'm not sure many people will have the up take.

Can someone also explain to me how using a GPS is any safer than using a phone based GPS? I've seen people plonk them smack in the middle of their windscreens which in itself is ridiculous. Texting, Calling and information exchange while driving, I have no issue with a €1000 fine but a blanket ban is unworkable. There are too many legitimate scenarios for potential wrongful punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Its gas how its not dangerous when a Garda is using a mobile. Every 2nd Garda car I drive against seem to have the driver on a mobile.

Surely there could be some sort of built in app in all phones which can detect if it is moving over let's say 30 kmph and shuts off all the interface. Problem solved :)

And if you want to use your phone on a bus or train ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

And if you want to use your phone on a bus or train ?

You just use "public transport mode" and it cancells the- wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has the actual text come out yet or are we basing all the assumptions in the RTE/Irish Times stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stop your trolling.

Let's just take this to its logical conclusion.
    We all can agree that driving with your eyes closed is extremely hazardous.
    Therefore there will be massive fines and bans handed out to anyone caught doing so.
    The above can be backed up with scientific studies. Have a guy drive a car round an obstacle course with his eyes open, then closed.
    Then nab everyone for sneezing and blinking.
    That's the level this legislation is at. Pure vote garnering and pandering to hysteria. And judging by the arm waving and knicker wetting I have seen about this, its working a charm.
    Leo is a politician and as such doesn't care if you're dying in a ditch, as long as you vote for him. This for no-ones benefit, except the government.

Varadkar is coming across as the worst Minister for Transport I can remember. Completely Dublin centric on transport infrastructure developments. All the rest of the country seems to get is harder speed enforcement (average speed cameras on motorways anyone) and waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its gas how its not dangerous when a Garda is using a mobile. Every 2nd Garda car I drive against seem to have the driver on a mobile.

I read on another thread that the garda and other emergency drivers are exempt.
    Apparently they train for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

ZENER wrote: »
    The news bulletins are saying that even hands free use of a phone is forbidden !? Is this true ?

Ken

I'd like to know that as well also what about sat navs on your phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Windy Miller

I have to agree with ironclaw and others that even handsfree use is a major distraction from the road.

When I had handsfree fitted, I often took calls and after hanging up found myself on the other side of town, having passed through roundabouts, lights etc - wondering how the hell did I get here? That scares me. Maybe others have a better capacity than me to conduct abstract activites while driving, but that doesn't appear to be what the peer review, scientifically conducted tests have shown.

For that reason I no longer take calls when i am driving, if the phone rings I'll pull over at the earliest opportunity to check it out and reply if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't expect this to make any change to current behavior whatsoever considering our Keystone Cops brigade have little interest in enforcing anything motor-related expect "speeding" on motorways/motorway-grade roads

As for the nonsense that they are somehow immune to the same effects that this is supposed to prevent because they're on duty... most of them can barely drive as it is from what I see every week, phone or no phone.

The usual muppetry in this country - take an idea and give it an Irish twist that completely screws up the intention of the idea in the first place, but hey it looks like we did something, right?

I read on another thread that the garda and other emergency drivers are exempt.
    Apparently they train for this.

Excempt, yes. Are they still human with a much higher risk of having a crash if on a mobile ? Of course they are.

I've no doubt though that the Gardaí will try to tell you that special training will allow them to drive safely while holding a phone to their ear. What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to agree with ironclaw and others that even handsfree use is a major distraction from the road.

When I had handsfree fitted, I often took calls and after hanging up found myself on the other side of town, having passed through roundabouts, lights etc - wondering how the hell did I get here? That scares me. Maybe others have a better capacity than me to conduct abstract activites while driving, but that doesn't appear to be what the peer review, scientifically conducted tests have shown.

For that reason I no longer take calls when i am driving, if the phone rings I'll pull over at the earliest opportunity to check it out and reply if necessary.

No offence but maybe that's just you.

I regularly take and make calls on the phone in the car but my attention is still on the road and I'll often just drift off mid-sentence as something around me catches my attention.. regular callers will know this for what it is and shut up for a minute.

Of course this is very different to holding and squinting at a small screen and trying to operate a touchscreen phone in a moving car. That I have no objection to being tackled.

• Advertisement

That happens to a lot of people when driving and it doesn't take a phone call for it to happen either. I've often started to think about something and the subconscious part of my brain takes over the driving.

You're then staggered that you can't remember the past few minutes of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

As usual, enforce the laws we already have with a modicum of common sense, no need for anything new!

Oh yeah......and Leo veradkar is a complete bell end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd wager that the use of GPS in cars (even searching for a destination), actually leads to safer driving. GPS gives drivers far more time to get in lane by giving an advanced warning of the next exit, what lane to keep in, etc. and so reduces dangerous manoeuvres people seem to pull when they realise that they're in the wrong road position. Most also remind drivers of speed limits, and the latest ones even give a picture of the road layout ahead so that the driver can be prepared.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Without any extra enforcement this is just lip service.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Without any extra enforcement this is just lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

tippman1 wrote: »

Madness.

Penalties should be adequate to severity of the offence.

We have 80 quid and 2 penalty points for speeding, no matter how much above the limit.
    We have €200 fine and 3 penalty points for drink driving.
    No penalties for many other dangerous offences.

But they want to fine €1000 for using a mobile when driving.

This is not adequate fine compared to danger it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Excempt, yes. Are they still human with a much higher risk of having a crash if on a mobile ? Of course they are.

I've no doubt though that the Gardaí will try to tell you that special training will allow them to drive safely while holding a phone to their ear. What a load of nonsense.

If I had an emergency I'd prefer if he answered the call though.

CiniO wrote: »
    Madness.

We have 80 quid and 2 penalty points for speeding, no matter how much above the limit.

Say your NCT is out by two days and you just have pressed something on you screen to get back to the Sat Nav.
    That's a €1000 fine and 5 points.
    Someone drives at 200 km/h the wrong way down the motorway?
    Slap on the wrist with 2 points and an €80 fine.
    Just as long as you don't look at your phone whilst doing that, she'll be the finesht.

It just proves that a lot of us have barely evolved from monkeys. As long as the headmonkey jumps up and down, screeches, thumps his chest and swings his club, we all screech along in complete hysteria. And it doesn't matter a jot what the headmonkey is screaming. Those of us who say "hang on a moment..." just get trampled in the stampede.
    Politics is like training seals. Just throw them a few fish heads and watch them slap their fins together.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Look what Polish lad did Cookie VS Police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31lg6DTgJw
    Well feckin done :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    Madness.

Varadkar doesnt seem to think a lot of stuff out too thoroughly. I get the distinct impression that he feels that he just needs to be seen doing things.

There is no way on earth that anyone will be getting a €1000 fine for a first offense for using their phone.

Advertisement