Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Only found this from scanning through looking for a thread for a tv show I'm watching. Like playedalive, just commenting so as to have this for when things all start to kick off.

Quick question, why were we not at eurovision in concert this year? Did we decide not to take part in the concert this year? It's always a nice beginning to the event and gives you a chance to see how far acts have come since national finals.

Anyway, after listening to most of the songs my top 5 are Norway, Israel, Sweden, UK and Malta.

Funding supposedly with regards to EiC. Its nice and all but not a necessity. Although I think that it wouldnt do much for Ireland's song anyway, can really see it bombing hard in Copenhagen.
    There was a discussion on the radio today about different ideas to make the Eurovision more of a 'level playing field'...one suggestion caught my ear - not having the names of the countries revealed until AFTER the voting! The only problem would be trying not to disclose who's representing who beforehand.

Opinions?

That'd basically ruin on-season for fans :P. No watching dodgy streams of Ukrainian TV to watch their preselection at 11am on a Sunday, or laughing at the fact Albania literally used an excel spreadsheet as their scoreboard one year.

My life is totally exciting :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Funding supposedly with regards to EiC. Its nice and all but not a necessity. Although I think that it wouldnt do much for Ireland's song anyway, can really see it bombing hard in Copenhagen.

It's definitely not one of my favourite entries of ours, however it is ranking quite high in polls from individuals across Europe. More so than other years. We'll have no problem getting out of our semi and I would imagine we'll come in the late teens.

It's definitely not one of my favourite entries of ours, however it is ranking quite high in polls from individuals across Europe. More so than other years. We'll have no problem getting out of our semi and I would imagine we'll come in the late teens.

Is it really though? Reaction in the fan community has been very very mixed - a major warning sign is very few people have it as their favourite which is what matters for televotes - I just think its a tad anonymous to be honest - if this was from another country how many Irish people would be going out of their way to vote for it. If it qualifies it'll be due to the new 1-26 ranking system that was brought in last year to determine the jury/televote mix, with a lot of people ranking it in average positions.

Looking at our semi final, I'd rank:

Malta, Israel, Norway, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia (new version lifted this superbly), Romania

above us in terms of hopes of qualification - which is 9 countries already, leaving the last spot between: Lithuania, Macedonia, Ireland, Poland, Belarus (I'm taking Georgia as no hopers). Our semi may not have many big hitters in it, but it has a lot of the mediocre/above average bunch. I just dont think Ireland has the standout factor needed to qualify (admittedly I'm biased, as I think its rather poor).

In my opinion its on a par with our other entries I guess, but that being said Ireland is down there with my least favourite countries in terms of ESC entries and this is very very close to the bottom of my ranking for this year :P, and if I were to choose we wouldnt have qualified the last few years.

Malta, Israel, Norway, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia (new version lifted this superbly), Romania

above us in terms of hopes of qualification - which is 9 countries already, leaving the last spot between: Lithuania, Macedonia, Ireland, Poland, Belarus (I'm taking Georgia as no hopers). Our semi may not have many big hitters in it, but it has a lot of the mediocre/above average bunch. I just dont think Ireland has the standout factor needed to qualify (admittedly I'm biased, as I think its rather poor).

All the polls and analysis pieces that I've seen has us down as 4th/5th qualifiers for semi 2. Granted these are from fans and eurovision journalists, but I think they give of good indication of where we stand.

We'll have to wait for the OGAE to finish up and that will give us a better indication.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd me massively surprised if Ireland didn't qualify. In the final I'd expect it to be in the bottom half of the right hand side of the board. You never know though, good staging can elevate a song massively.

Really hope the dancers are gotten rid of, but I'm not sure they are. In this interview today, Kasey said that they're "keeping the traditional Irish elements". If they insist on keeping the awful dancing, I at least hope the routine is changed.
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/04/11/kasey-smith-can-linn-ireland-interview/45995/

• Advertisement

I think you're overestimating a few there.
    Malta - going first will hurt them, the song is very derivative and twee, and the vocal harmonies are messy towards the end.
    Switzerland - very much a marmite entry. The whistling will grate on as many people as will enjoy it.
    Austria - yes she's a good singer but there will be conservative voters and juries out there that could potentially damage her score.
    Slovenia - admittedly I haven't heard the "new" version of this entry. On first listen though it was the most forgettable song of the second semi for me.

The quality of Semi 2 is definitely stronger overall than that of Semi 1 but I really don't see Ireland not qualifying. We may not be among the favourites but every year there are one or two of the "favourites" that fail to get out of the semis; San Marino in 2013, Norway in 2011, both Sweden and Slovakia in 2010 and, of course, Ireland in 2008! :P

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Who are we picking to qualify from the semi's?

From semi 1 I'm picking Armenia, Azerbaijan, Sweden, Russia, Estonia, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Belgium & The Netherlands.

Semi 2 is a lot harder given the amount of crap within it, but Norway, Israel, Greece, Poland, Romania and Ireland should all be pretty safe anyway. Will have to listen to the rest again to decide who the other four will be.

Obviously all of these could change on the night though.

Never actually finished off my prediction for semi 2. I'll add Macedonia, Malta, Switzerland & Belarus.

Never actually finished off my prediction for semi 2. I'll add Macedonia, Malta, Switzerland & Belarus.

Would love to see Malta qualify, but I'm not so sure they'll get out of this semi. The UK voting will help them, along with us, but I'm not so sure that will be enough.

I think you're overestimating a few there.
    Malta - going first will hurt them, the song is very derivative and twee, and the vocal harmonies are messy towards the end.
    Switzerland - very much a marmite entry. The whistling will grate on as many people as will enjoy it.
    Austria - yes she's a good singer but there will be conservative voters and juries out there that could potentially damage her score.
    Slovenia - admittedly I haven't heard the "new" version of this entry. On first listen though it was the most forgettable song of the second semi for me.

The quality of Semi 2 is definitely stronger overall than that of Semi 1 but I really don't see Ireland not qualifying. We may not be among the favourites but every year there are one or two of the "favourites" that fail to get out of the semis; San Marino in 2013, Norway in 2011, both Sweden and Slovakia in 2010 and, of course, Ireland in 2008! :P

Slovenia improved the instrumentation greatly, added majorly to the selling point of it :). Austria is nailing the jury vote if EiC is anything to go by - if people see past the beard and judge it on its own its sailing through!

As for Switzerland the fact you describe it as marmite is its major advantage over Ireland. Marmite implies love/hate - if youre hated it doesnt really affect you vote wise since negative voting doesnt exist =p, whereas if they've got lovers that transfers to televotes. The draw helps big time!

As for Malta it feels much more "authentic" than our song does - it doesnt sound like a cliche which was written with only ESC in mind. Can see it doing rather well with jurors.

I just really dont see Ireland as a major "favourite" to qualify and believe the entry will be in a major dogfight for the lower spots. Luckily only 5 entries dont qualify, so with a bit of luck it may sneak in.
    Would love to see Malta qualify, but I'm not so sure they'll get out of this semi. The UK voting will help them, along with us, but I'm not so sure that will be enough.

Try and flip the chessboard for a second - imagine Malta was Ireland's entry, and Ireland Malta's - how would you predict them to do then. The main danger is home nation bias when it comes to predictions - The main thing to remember is we see Ireland as a stand out entry by default due to it being Ireland - to everyone else its just one of another bunch of 36 songs! It gets one shot/one listen and if it sails on by thats that.

Try and flip the chessboard for a second - imagine Malta was Ireland's entry, and Ireland Malta's - how would you predict them to do then. The main danger is home nation bias when it comes to predictions - The main thing to remember is we see Ireland as a stand out entry by default due to it being Ireland - to everyone else its just one of another bunch of 36 songs! It gets one shot/one listen and if it sails on by thats that.

That's not true. I'm judging it based on predictions and polls from fans and journalists. I've seen very few that don't have Ireland as a qualifier. While I like the Maltese entry, it's not a eurovision song and will struggle to qualify. If we had their entry I would have the same opinion. Just like when we sent Dervish we were pretty much guaranteed a low position.

• Advertisement

That's not true. I'm judging it based on predictions and polls from fans and journalists. I've seen very few that don't have Ireland as a qualifier. While I like the Maltese entry, it's not a eurovision song and will struggle to qualify. If we had their entry I would have the same opinion. Just like when we sent Dervish we were pretty much guaranteed a low position.

Fair enough! Opinions differ I suppose. I'm just wary of hopes being too high! :).

Fair enough! Opinions differ I suppose. I'm just wary of hopes being too high! :).

In fairness, I'm always guilty of that. Really thought we had a pretty good song last year and thought we would come a lot higher than we did.

In fairness, I'm always guilty of that. Really thought we had a pretty good song last year and thought we would come a lot higher than we did.

Guess its the cynic in me from following it for so long =P and being used to people getting over excited about the chances of Irish entries . The way the process works recently for Irish people is:

Pre Semi: General consensus: "We could do pretty well"
    If we qualify: Yay! We qualified!!! Victory is inches away!!!
    If we don't qualify: THIS IS BECAUSE OF EASTERN EUROPEANS BLOCK VOTING!!!!

Final - Do well (eg. Jedward 2011) - Finally we get a good result! or We shouldve won, *insert complaint about block voting here*

Fail badly (eg. last year): See reaction to if we dont qualify from the semi final :P

Who are we picking to qualify from the semi's?

From semi 1 I'm picking Armenia, Azerbaijan, Sweden, Russia, Estonia, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Belgium & The Netherlands.

Semi 2 is a lot harder given the amount of crap within it, but Norway, Israel, Greece, Poland, Romania and Ireland should all be pretty safe anyway. Will have to listen to the rest again to decide who the other four will be.

Obviously all of these could change on the night though.

Seriously? I find Semi 2 much better than Semi 1 in terms of overall quality. Semi 1 has Latvia (lol), Russia (blah), Estonia (rip-off), Portugal (no comment), Belgium (cheese), Ukraine (ESC prototype), Sweden (yawn), Montenegro (more yawn).....
    All the Semi Two songs have at least one redeeming feature imo.

I keep changing my predictions but for Semi One I'm thinking:
    Definitely safe: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Hungary, Sweden, Ukraine
    Probably safe: Russia, Moldova, Belgium, Estonia
    50-50: Montenegro, Netherlands, San Marino, Albania, Iceland (gonna predict Montengro for final spot, though I hope The Netherlands get it. If Albania had kept their song in Albanian I'd have rooted for it.)
    No-hope: Latvia, Portugal

Semi Two:
    Definitely safe: Romania, Norway, Greece
    Probably safe: Ireland, Israel, Poland, Finland
    50-50: Macedonia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Slovenia, Austria, Malta.
    Tough battle between these six for three spots. I had Macedonia down as "probably safe" before but it's slipped a lot in the odds for some reason. I still think it'll get through though. I'm gonna guess Malta and (based on the updated version) Slovenia for the final two; I think Switzerland, Austria and Lithuania are all a bit too polarising to get the votes needed.
    No-hope: Georgia, Belarus. Though if I was choosing I'd put both of them through. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've watched a lot of semi-final 2 predictions from fans on Youtube and I think in all of them Ireland have been backed to progress. If Ireland don't qualify it would be regarded as a major shock.

One thing that would concern me though is the presentation. I saw one of the Can Linn people on Youtube responding to a fan that they will keep the dancers but that they will do something different to what we saw on RTE. What that means I don't know. Personally I think they should be ruthless and scrap them. I also think the video is quite amateurish compared to other efforts like Armenia, Azerbaijan, and even Poland. These things can play a part.

Speaking of the Eurovision in Concert, I was really disappointed in Azerbaijan. I read there were some sound issues but that was well below my expectations. Same goes for Armenia which I think is a bit overrated.

Safe bet right now imo is Sweden. It features in almost everyone's top five picks in fan selections and I think the judges will really like it.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Safe bet right now imo is Sweden. It features in almost everyone's top five picks in fan selections and I think the judges will really like it.

Ugh, I really hope it doesn't. I'd much rather see one of the other favourites* (Armenia, Norway, or even Azerbaijan) win it. Swedish song is the most overrated this year imo. I don't want anybody to "undo her sad". :mad:

*except Denmark. Even Sweden's song is better than Denmark's. Hell, Latvia's song is better than Denmark's imo.

Ugh, I really hope it doesn't. I'd much rather see one of the other favourites* (Armenia, Norway, or even Azerbaijan) win it. Swedish song is the most overrated this year imo. I don't want anybody to "undo her sad". :mad:

*except Denmark. Even Sweden's song is better than Denmark's. Hell, Latvia's song is better than Denmark's imo.

She changed the lyrics. She now wants to "undo her sad love". Doesnt fix the dire formulaic nature of the song though. You can tell its a Kempe song a mile away.

Would love to see Norway win it. Beautiful song. It's slowly becoming my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It is difficult to predict who will win the 2014 Eurovision. But it will most definitely not be Ireland I feel. Apart from Jedward and Brian Kennedy in 2011 and 2006 respectively, we have had generally poor to abysmal rankings every year since 2000. Most of the time, we do get out of the semis (apart from the Dustin year and a couple more illfated acts).

This year's song is not bad by any means but seeing that European-known artists like Kennedy and Jedward did well but did not win means that the fate of the totally unknown is unkind in recent years. The only times we did well was when we sent very wellknown acts in recent times.

As regards what we have been doing: we have tried Johnny Logan style ballads in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2013 to no avail. We had a lively pop song in 2005 no doubt inspired by 2004's Ukrainian winner. We had a dodgy political song written by the topical at present John Waters in 2007 peppered up with some trad music. We had Dustin in 2008 bwawking and skwawking. We then had Europop tune in 2009 and a return of Niamh Kavanagh singing a power ballad in 2010. NONE of these did well at all. The quality of songs and singer varied greatly, as did the styles. As did how they were chosen (You're a Star, Late Late Show, Eurosong).

But, why haven't any of them won? Block voting has always been given and while it does exist, there are competing blocks and many the year songs just get votes from everywhere. Examples include in recent times Norway, Finland (Lordi!!), Denmark and Germany. They were getting votes from everywhere! Certain countries always tend to do well in recent years: you can nearly predict Azerbaijan to be there or there abouts. Winner in 2011 and runner up other times. The fact that Ireland won it too often may also influence things and those who want to see others get their turn to win. Or is it that largely the Eurovision has become a competition for the new countries in it but still with respect for Scandinavian countries? Or is it merely that we are poor at pre-competition marketing our songs? Granted, there have been some downright awful Irish Eurovision entries (Dustin anybody!!) but most of them are acceptable at the very least and no worse than many of the other entries. So, song quality has nothing to do with it. Or is it the fact that we are focused mainly on ballads and not moving and dancing acts? Well, the 2005 entry proved this not to be the case. The two best recent songs were from 2006 (an almost country style ballad) and 2011 (a lively pop song). So, type of song does not seem to be the case either (afterall, various types of song from ballads to Lordi's heavy rock sound have won).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Apart from Jedward and Brian Kennedy in 2011 and 2006 respectively, we have had generally poor to abysmal rankings every year since 2000.

Poor Mickey Joe Harte 11th just doesn't cut it.

• Advertisement

Seriously? I find Semi 2 much better than Semi 1 in terms of overall quality. Semi 1 has Latvia (lol), Russia (blah), Estonia (rip-off), Portugal (no comment), Belgium (cheese), Ukraine (ESC prototype), Sweden (yawn), Montenegro (more yawn).....
    All the Semi Two songs have at least one redeeming feature imo.

I keep changing my predictions but for Semi One I'm thinking:
    Definitely safe: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Hungary, Sweden, Ukraine
    Probably safe: Russia, Moldova, Belgium, Estonia
    50-50: Montenegro, Netherlands, San Marino, Albania, Iceland (gonna predict Montengro for final spot, though I hope The Netherlands get it. If Albania had kept their song in Albanian I'd have rooted for it.)
    No-hope: Latvia, Portugal

Semi Two:
    Definitely safe: Romania, Norway, Greece
    Probably safe: Ireland, Israel, Poland, Finland
    50-50: Macedonia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Slovenia, Austria, Malta.
    Tough battle between these six for three spots. I had Macedonia down as "probably safe" before but it's slipped a lot in the odds for some reason. I still think it'll get through though. I'm gonna guess Malta and (based on the updated version) Slovenia for the final two; I think Switzerland, Austria and Lithuania are all a bit too polarising to get the votes needed.
    No-hope: Georgia, Belarus. Though if I was choosing I'd put both of them through. :(
    I wrote that comment a few weeks back, I've since listened to them all again and they're a lot better than I thought :)

Does anyone think this may be the first year that Russia don't get out of their semi? It's extremely generic, I can see the juries putting it near the bottom of their rankings, and given everything that's going on in Crimea I doubt viewers at home will be inspired to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

But, why haven't any of them won? Block voting has always been given and while it does exist, there are competing blocks and many the year songs just get votes from everywhere. Examples include in recent times Norway, Finland (Lordi!!), Denmark and Germany. They were getting votes from everywhere! Certain countries always tend to do well in recent years: you can nearly predict Azerbaijan to be there or there abouts. Winner in 2011 and runner up other times. The fact that Ireland won it too often may also influence things and those who want to see others get their turn to win. Or is it that largely the Eurovision has become a competition for the new countries in it but still with respect for Scandinavian countries? Or is it merely that we are poor at pre-competition marketing our songs? Granted, there have been some downright awful Irish Eurovision entries (Dustin anybody!!) but most of them are acceptable at the very least and no worse than many of the other entries. So, song quality has nothing to do with it. Or is it the fact that we are focused mainly on ballads and not moving and dancing acts? Well, the 2005 entry proved this not to be the case. The two best recent songs were from 2006 (an almost country style ballad) and 2011 (a lively pop song). So, type of song does not seem to be the case either (afterall, various types of song from ballads to Lordi's heavy rock sound have won).

I think you're being kind. Most of Ireland's entries have been absolutely dire the past fifteen years.

Of course bloc voting plays a part but as you say a catchy song will slip through the cracks and achieve votes from everywhere and Ireland just haven't cut the mustard.

Ireland's system of choosing songs is really suspect and I would like to see a far more open system with a far broader range of choice on offer.

The UK has been in a similar boat. For the first time in many years they are sending a song that feels catchy and modern and which will have broad appeal.

Ireland in contrast seems to be stuck in a mindset from last century where you have to have some sort of crooning ballad backed up by the customary three backing singers. Time for a rethink.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I think you're being kind. Most of Ireland's entries have been absolutely dire the past fifteen years.

Of course bloc voting plays a part but as you say a catchy song will slip through the cracks and achieve votes from everywhere and Ireland just haven't cut the mustard.

Ireland's system of choosing songs is really suspect and I would like to see a far more open system with a far broader range of choice on offer.

The UK has been in a similar boat. For the first time in many years they are sending a song that feels catchy and modern and which will have broad appeal.

Ireland in contrast seems to be stuck in a mindset from last century where you have to have some sort of crooning ballad backed up by the customary three backing singers. Time for a rethink.

I doubt RTÉ want to change the system though, they're quite happy with how it's working right now. Send a song good enough to get Ireland into the grand final and get the viewers on the Saturday. Mission accomplished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The fact that Ireland won it too often may also influence things and those who want to see others get their turn to win.

If Sweden win this year, they'll be just one behind Ireland... ;)

Or is it merely that we are poor at pre-competition marketing our songs? Granted, there have been some downright awful Irish Eurovision entries (Dustin anybody!!) but most of them are acceptable at the very least and no worse than many of the other entries. So, song quality has nothing to do with it. Or is it the fact that we are focused mainly on ballads and not moving and dancing acts? Well, the 2005 entry proved this not to be the case. The two best recent songs were from 2006 (an almost country style ballad) and 2011 (a lively pop song). So, type of song does not seem to be the case either (afterall, various types of song from ballads to Lordi's heavy rock sound have won).

It's that RTE don't want to host the thing again, so they make sure that the acts they send stand little chance of winning.

That was the case even in 2011. Indeed, Jedward finished over 100 points behind Ell and Nikki... ;)

Elmo wrote: »
    Poor Mickey Joe Harte 11th just doesn't cut it.

I think this result was one of the better ones as well for us. Only at the time Ireland's previous poor performance of 2001 with Gary O'Shaughnessy was considered a temporary setback and Mickey Joe's result was both a relief. There was still some who were disappointed with this (however, if Ireland came 11th in the barren years after this, it would be considered excellent).

Whatever Ireland were doing in the 1990s is not being done now. It seems that the Irish mentality is to find the next Johnny Logan. Last years' entry, the Chris Doran entry and the Gary O'Shaughnessy entry all followed that pattern. Sometimes, the singing and the type of song is trying too hard to be a Johnny Logan performance!

I am not saying that all of Ireland's performances and songs are excellent over the last number of years. There were some very poor ones but others were ok and an odd few were quite good. But many of them became too formulaic and pigeonholed Ireland as 'a ballad crooning entry' every time.

The UK, France and some others are all in a similar boat for sure. A rethink is needed in how and what to choose.

If Sweden win this year, they'll be just one behind Ireland... ;)

It's that RTE don't want to host the thing again, so they make sure that the acts they send stand little chance of winning.

That was the case even in 2011. Indeed, Jedward finished over 100 points behind Ell and Nikki... ;)

I can certainly see Sweden winning it in the near future and maybe they will overtake Ireland as country that won it most often soon. I think ABBA have a lot to do with why Sweden is still at the races in the competition and they are great at marketing what they have to offer, and usually have a good song.

The fact that poor and/or obscure acts with no chance of winning it are chosen by RTE is scary. The Irish music industry is messed up at the moment in general with a lot of dull stuff dominating. But, it RTE/the Irish Eurovision team feels like this about winning, then they should opt out of the Eurovision. I bet every other country enters to win and NOT to lose. What makes the wanting to lose theory completely believable to me was Dustin! Now, I'm not anti-Dustin per se (he can be funny and he is a novelty act - but one best understood only by Irish especially Dublin people). Sending him to Europe was totally wrong as his humour was alien to them and it was perceived as an insult to the competition and sent out the message Ireland did not take it seriously! Perhaps we will have an entry to top it in due course? How about Iran's 2020 entry: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad imitating Saddam Hussein to the melody of Dana International's entry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I can certainly see Sweden winning it in the near future and maybe they will overtake Ireland as country that won it most often soon.

By "the near future", do you by any chance mean "just under a month's time"? :o:D:);)

I think ABBA have a lot to do with why Sweden is still at the races in the competition and they are great at marketing what they have to offer, and usually have a good song.

That, and also they have a proper contest to determine which act they send - Melodifestivalen, which is almost as old as the Eurovision itself.

The fact that poor and/or obscure acts with no chance of winning it are chosen by RTE is scary. The Irish music industry is messed up at the moment in general with a lot of dull stuff dominating. But, it RTE/the Irish Eurovision team feels like this about winning, then they should opt out of the Eurovision.

I initally thought myself that RTE should opt out of the Eurovision - but then I decided, "Well, they clearly do still want to take part, and I suppose one can't really fault them for that..."

I bet every other country enters to win and NOT to lose.

Many felt that the BBC were not entering to win when they sent Blue in 2011, Engelbert Humperdinck in 2012 and Bonnie Tyler in 2013... ;)

How about Iran's 2020 entry: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad imitating Saddam Hussein to the melody of Dana International's entry!

Once again, Iran has to apply for and obtain full EBU membership before it can take part in the Eurovision.

And I can't see that happening in the next six years, somehow... ;)

By "the near future", do you by any chance mean "just under a month's time"? :o:D:);)

That, and also they have a proper contest to determine which act they send - Melodifestivalen, which is almost as old as the Eurovision itself.

I initally thought myself that RTE should opt out of the Eurovision - but then I decided, "Well, they clearly do still want to take part, and I suppose one can't really fault them for that..."

Many felt that the BBC were not entering to win when they sent Blue in 2011, Engelbert Humperdinck in 2012 and Bonnie Tyler in 2013... ;)

Once again, Iran has to apply for and obtain full EBU membership before it can take part in the Eurovision.

And I can't see that happening in the next six years, somehow... ;)

WRT Sweden and the near future: maybe they could well win it this May or if not, in the next few years. Sweden's Melodifestivalen shows they are professional and care about the Eurovision whereas Ireland has lost that in the last 15 years. The heart was in it for Ireland certainly in the 1960s-2000 period but not much since then.

RTE want to take part but sending Dustin (comedy act for Irish humour only) showed how little they respected the competition. Ireland is doing something wrong that the others are not doing and we cannot keep blaming block voting and the like either. The fact that we have come last or in the bottom 3 or 4 (or not even made it out of the semi finals) for all years bar 2003, 2006, 2011 and 2012 in the 2001 onwards period clearly shows something is wrong. In that period, we have had Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Scandinavian and German winners.

The UK tried everything and I thought Englebert's song was nice and catchy and deserved better than its fate. But again everything from block voting to Tony Blair's poor image were blamed each time I recall. But it is none of these alone obviously. Ireland and the UK were once 2 of the most prolific winners and we lost this for some reason.

WRT Iran: Definitely, Iran will be in the Eurovision but I agree definitely not in the next six years. There is a desire among its people for reform and the government there can't ignore forever the desire of Iranians saying that the UA Emirates are occupying the role Iran would have had was it not for the 1979 thing and the war with Iraq and poor government policies on religion and foreign policies. Unfortunately, there are forces who want to keep moderates down in Iran and there are forces in the West who fear Iran could under a moderate, modern government become a serious superpower rival. Anyway, when Iran does enter it, Ahmadinejad will be in his late 70s and exiled somewhere else I'm sure! And I don't know if he can sing his Saddam rhetoric to the tune of an Israeli Eurovision winner anyway :):D

• Advertisement

I'm of the impression that marketing has nothing to do with wins the competition. I would say the vast majority of people who vote in the semis and final are casual viewers who are hearing the songs for the first time.

Ireland's problem has just been poor quality in the songs we send. There's no innovation in the tracks and the song writers just seem to be using generic templates with little to no knowledge of what's in the charts currently. Look at the Greek, Armenian, Hungarian entry. I can't see Ireland sending songs like those. They will all place high because they're based on what's selling at the moment. Same goes for the Swedish entry which for some parts songs like a carbon copy of Wrecking Ball.

We're too conservative in our song choices. Lipstick has been the only song that has pushed us out of our comfort zone. It was catchy, modern and bold. Then we got scared and sent a heart-throb ballad the next year which flopped.

Advertisement