Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

QwT4rIn.png

So, this means that I can get insured on, for example: Nissan Micra and drive a Subaru Impreza and I will be insured on it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Generally as long as you don't own it, isn't owned by your employer and isn't part of a lease or hire agreement. Check the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

MugMugs wrote: »
    Generally as long as you don't own it, isn't owned by your employer and isn't part of a lease or hire agreement. Check the small print.

Let's say the car is owned by someone else who isn't insured on it, but I have my own policy on some (perhaps smaller) car, I can still drive it?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Let's say the car is owned by someone else who isn't insured on it, but I have my own policy on some (perhaps smaller) car, I can still drive it?

If your third party extension does not require the said vehicle to be insured and if it is in line with the policy requirements (ie:a car and not a jeep or van) then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

If you're on your second provisional and you're driving on your own without a fully licensed driver with you does the insurance company still cover you for an accident?

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    If you're on your second provisional and you're driving on your own without a fully licensed driver with you does the insurance company still cover you for an accident?

Kind of. They can choose to decline your own damage claim but are obliged by law to cover you for the third party claim. They can choose to recover this money back off you but it's generally not worth their while. They'll also most likely cancel your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

ok guys I must to buy a new policy this week but when looking for quotations it came to my mind that I have to tell the insurer that I wear galsses is it correct?Does +6 dioptes has in impact on driving or its only my over reaction to all these assumptions?

faral wrote: »
    ok guys I must to buy a new policy this week but when looking for quotations it came to my mind that I have to tell the insurer that I wear galsses is it correct?Does +6 dioptes has in impact on driving or its only my over reaction to all these assumptions?

If you're wearing corrective lenses there is no issue.

I've also never encountered an insurer concerned with the Insured wearing glasses.

Have you been asked if you wear glasses by any of the companies you have approached for a quote OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

Quick question:

If your renewal is due while you have a claim pending can the closure of this claim have an influence on that years quote similar to the change of vehicle during an insurable year or are you stuck with the original quote for the year regardless?

Quick question:

If your renewal is due while you have a claim pending can the closure of this claim have an influence on that years quote similar to the change of vehicle during an insurable year or are you stuck with the original quote for the year regardless?
    Once the claim is finalised a new quote should be requested and a revised premium will be given.

• Advertisement

If you're wearing corrective lenses there is no issue.

I've also never encountered an insurer concerned with the Insured wearing glasses.

Have you been asked if you wear glasses by any of the companies you have approached for a quote OP?
    its ok, I spokee with FBD and the said wearing glasses its non an issue
    Nobody asked me before that question but it came to my mind when reading all these assumptions and terms and conditions that I have to disclose this fact.

Once the claim is finalised a new quote should be requested and a revised premium will be given.

Thanks for this,

A follow up question. My insurance broker has come back to me regarding another company which have given me a quote (excess is high but considering it as it is a case of risk of higher excess in an accident or definitely paying more than the new excess in my premium with current company)

Just wondering a few things

1) How will this affect my claim. This is still open and I am worried changing will mean I could lose out on the settlement

2) How will this affect me in the future with other insurance companies. Would I be considered a liability If I change insurance companies just after an accident

Thanks for this,

A follow up question. My insurance broker has come back to me regarding another company which have given me a quote (excess is high but considering it as it is a case of risk of higher excess in an accident or definitely paying more than the new excess in my premium with current company)

Just wondering a few things

1) How will this affect my claim. This is still open and I am worried changing will mean I could lose out on the settlement

2) How will this affect me in the future with other insurance companies. Would I be considered a liability If I change insurance companies just after an accident

1. How can you lose out on the settlement? I presumed you were liable in this claim, is that not the case?

2. Moving company doesn't look bad. In fact, I generally move insurer annually. It's not really considered when quoting somebody.

1. How can you lose out on the settlement? I presumed you were liable in this claim, is that not the case?

I was yes and my car was wrote off however I have not yet received the settlement cheque so I am just wondering whether this could be grounds to not pay this out? (probably paranoid but just trying to get as much information as possible before making decision)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I noticed my renewal quote was a little cheaper with herself added on as a named driver. Generally speaking, does the "Spouse/Partner" option on the quote form mean that the named driver has to live at the same address?

I was yes and my car was wrote off however I have not yet received the settlement cheque so I am just wondering whether this could be grounds to not pay this out? (probably paranoid but just trying to get as much information as possible before making decision)

Oh right.

Sorry, I took you up wrong.

No, your insurer can't reduce or refuse you settlement if you move on to another Insurer.

The premium they took off you last year covers this accident. They're not entitled to rely on further premiums or "ransom" to make their monies back. You're free to move if you can.

That said, I am absolutely bewildered that your broker found another Insurer willing to take you with an open claim. Might not seem like a lot but they've no idea of telling how much of a big deal this claim is until it's settled.
    I am certainly not trying to discredit your broker but may I suggest that if you do go through with this new policy that your broker is offering that when you receive the paperwork you ensure that the claim is noted on the proposal form? Just to cover yourself should anything ever arise in the future. If it isn't then all you do is write a letter to the broker outlining that as discussed there is an active claim with your past insurer and keep a copy of this letter. This covers you from any responsibility should anything come amiss in the future.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I noticed my renewal quote was a little cheaper with herself added on as a named driver. Generally speaking, does the "Spouse/Partner" option on the quote form mean that the named driver has to live at the same address?
    Will my Insurance be cheaper if I name my partner on the policy?

Potentially. This spreads the risk. If your partner has their own vehicle and assuming that most policies have a third party extension this actually lessens the risk of your insurance and theirs should something occur and your partner was driving your vehicle.

Why?

Because if your partner has an accident in your vehicle as a named driver and has their own third party extension then their own insurer is liable for 50% of the third party costs associated with the claim.
    From all the conditions I've actually seen relevant to this, I've only seen it listed as required once.

My understanding why it's not inherently insisted on is because it is generally considered that one cohabits with their partner and certainly Spouse.

You'd need to check your individual policy but generally speaking in my experience, No, they're not required to live with you full time.

Oh right.

Sorry, I took you up wrong.

No, your insurer can't reduce or refuse you settlement if you move on to another Insurer.

The premium they took off you last year covers this accident. They're not entitled to rely on further premiums or "ransom" to make their monies back. You're free to move if you can.

That said, I am absolutely bewildered that your broker found another Insurer willing to take you with an open claim. Might not seem like a lot but they've no idea of telling how much of a big deal this claim is until it's settled.
    I am certainly not trying to discredit your broker but may I suggest that if you do go through with this new policy that your broker is offering that when you receive the paperwork you ensure that the claim is noted on the proposal form? Just to cover yourself should anything ever arise in the future. If it isn't then all you do is write a letter to the broker outlining that as discussed there is an active claim with your past insurer and keep a copy of this letter. This covers you from any responsibility should anything come amiss in the future.

Thanks I will do. I gave full disclosure regarding the renewal and made them aware of the situation and initially they came back saying that no company would touch me with an open claim but then a week later they came back saying there was one company willing to (albeit with a huge excess but to be honest this was less than the difference in the renewal premium which is the only reason I am considering).

I will double check though just to be sure

Thanks

From all the conditions I've actually seen relevant to this, I've only seen it listed as required once.

My understanding why it's not inherently insisted on is because it is generally considered that one cohabits with their partner and certainly Spouse.

You'd need to check your individual policy but generally speaking in my experience, No, they're not required to live with you full time.

Cheers for that, rang them up there {FBD} & the girl said no there's no such stipulation that both the insured have to reside at the same address. Cool, looks like I'm migrating over so. Will FBD be able to retrieve my no claims info themselves, or will I have to get it for them manually? I've never changed companies before {company car for years}

EnterNow wrote: »
    Will FBD be able to retrieve my no claims info themselves, or will I have to get it for them manually? I've never changed companies before {company car for years}

If you're with FBD then they can get your NCB.

Otherwise, when you get your renewal from your current insurer they will send you out a NCB cert. Sign this and send it on to FBD when you're incepting your new policy and with any other documentation they may require (some ask for a copy of your licence etc)

• Advertisement

If you're with FBD then they can get your NCB.

Otherwise, when you get your renewal from your current insurer they will send you out a NCB cert. Sign this and send it on to FBD when you're incepting your new policy and with any other documentation they may require (some ask for a copy of your licence etc)

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Great thread OP. Lots of very useful info !!

I am in a situation at the min, and would appreciate any info/advice. I was parked in a carpark last week, when a delightful lady(wife of the insurance policy holder) reversed into me. She accepted responsibility at scene. No gardai called but I did report the accident. Since then she has failed to answer her phone to any of my calls. I have since entered a claim with her insurance. They got back to me to tell me that the policy holder isn't answering their phone or txts. They have said that if they fail to make contact with their insured, that will be unable to settle the claim. He also told me that new regulations mean that they can't send anyone to visit the house of the insured.

If this person avoids his insurance company, can this case go on indefinitely? How should I proceed?

nutts_77 wrote: »
    They got back to me to tell me that the policy holder isn't answering their phone or txts. They have said that if they fail to make contact with their insured, that will be unable to settle the claim.

I laughed a bit at that.

That's nice of them.

Tell them that they have 14 days to sort out your claim ( and put it in writing too ) before you have you solicitor deal with the matter and they can pay his expenses on top of all other costs associated with the matter........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Hey there just a quick Q on cancellation of car insurance... I'm due to renew with NoNonsense at the end of the month for the 2nd year and just wondering how they work with cancellations?

I pay DD once a month for 8 months but I plan on leaving to go abroad before the end of the year. Is it just a simple case of sorting it out before I go away and maybe just pay some cancellation admin fee? I don't want to get stung with having to pay full whack for the policy or anything?

It's probably best I stick with them since I may have to pay a deposit if I shop around for a new insurer even if it is ever so slightly better!

€369 5 years no claims for a '98 1.3 Hyundai accent third party with all the govt levies/ insurer chargesfor a 27 yr old male sound about right?

Any advice welcome, thanks

Generally you're charged pro rata but because you're paying by DD this might not be applicable. Best thing to do is either ask them or check their terms online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yep, I think I just have to cancel the DD and they will take it as the policy being cancelled?

Did a search for the word 'Cancel' on their online policybook.pdf and these are the sections that came up... So I take it the highlighted bit is the one that applies for me?

wSwcswj.png

So I'm better off just sticking with this rather than shopping around and paying a deposit for a new policy even if it may be cheaper per month I think

I'm not fully sure what the bit in condition 9 means though! (There cancelation scale for car insurance is in the top left of the pic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Quick question, was involved in a minor bang yesterday (not my fault, other party has admitted liability) however my car will need to be repaired which I reckon will take at least 2-3 days if not more, during those days I will need a replacement car to get me around. I hope to hear from the other parties insurance either today (monday) or tomorrow but i will be letting them know of this. However my question is how is this usually sorted ? Rental company ? If so will there be any problems as I am only 20 ? i.e. isn't there a minimum age to rent a car.

wtf of the day??
    Folks I have a question-I recently purchased insurance with AA and when I thought everything is fine I have receive a letter from them asking me for proof of selling/destruction of ma old car? Situation is that I have change my car and bought an insurance on this new one but I still keep the old one with me. So in Ireland I can not owe two or more cars at the same time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quick question, was involved in a minor bang yesterday (not my fault, other party has admitted liability) however my car will need to be repaired which I reckon will take at least 2-3 days if not more, during those days I will need a replacement car to get me around. I hope to hear from the other parties insurance either today (monday) or tomorrow but i will be letting them know of this. However my question is how is this usually sorted ? Rental company ? If so will there be any problems as I am only 20 ? i.e. isn't there a minimum age to rent a car.

Usually the garage doing the repairs will give you a temporary replacement car while your own is being repaired, just a matter of doing a temporary substitution of insurance with your company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

faral wrote: »
    wtf of the day??
    Folks I have a question-I recently purchased insurance with AA and when I thought everything is fine I have receive a letter from them asking me for proof of selling/destruction of ma old car? Situation is that I have change my car and bought an insurance on this new one but I still keep the old one with me. So in Ireland I can not owe two or more cars at the same time??

Ive never heard of an insurance company requesting something like that to be honest and Ive worked in insurance for a number of years.

The only logic I can think of is that they are afraid you are going to be driving both cars under one insurance policy but the rules for driving other cars exclude this (driving other cars only covers vehicles you don't own yourself) so I really don't see how they can ask for something like that.

What Id advise is for you to call them and ask exactly why they have requested the proof and Id ask them to provide the reason for the request in writing too.

Post back here if you get a reason from them, Im interested to know what their game is.

Advertisement