Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and broadcasting with a language

• 27-04-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Is anyone here doing this course? I'm considering it for next year and would appreciate any information on it.

Thanks..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Yup I'm a second year doing Irish.Ask away and I'll answer the best that I can.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Hi! Well I have a couple questions :)...
    Do you know what types of jobs graduates from this degree have?
    What are the hours like?
    How many are there in a class? I intend on doing French btw, are all classes except the language ones shared by the students doing Irish and French?
    What are the lecturers like?
    Are grades based on exams/continuous assesment?

And just any general info. that you think would be useful to know about it...
    Sorry this is so long:o

Hi! Well I have a couple questions :)...
    Do you know what types of jobs graduates from this degree have?
    What are the hours like?
    How many are there in a class? I intend on doing French btw, are all classes except the language ones shared by the students doing Irish and French?
    What are the lecturers like?
    Are grades based on exams/continuous assesment?

And just any general info. that you think would be useful to know about it...
    Sorry this is so long:o

Well from what I can gather a lot of the graduates have gone on to work for radio and tv in Ireland.It seems like we've a fair batch in RTE and TV3 and TnaG.Most of our radio graduates have gone on to do work on that.A few seem to have gone far and won competitions and funding but I'm not really certain.

Well tbh this is a fairly light course hours wise compared to stuff like engineering.This semester my timetable is:
    Monday:Audio 10-12.30
    Tuesday: Critical perspectives on pop culture 11-1,scriptwriting 1-3 and Irish 4-6
    Wednesday:Transnational cinema 1-11,then Irish 3-5
    Thursday:Off
    Friday:Nrrative production (filming)Varied between 10-2,10-4 and shooting can take as long as it takes.

There's a good mix of theory classes and practicals.The practical classes take a bit of work outside of class.For example I'm editing a 3 minute film and I'm not even half way through and have spent over 4 hours on it.Preparing for shoots and the like can be hard work depending on your crew position on the shoot.It's still kinda awesome though.

My year is a bit different.When I went into the course we only just split into languages and digital cultures that september,so combined the two courses only have 40 people or thereabouts.I'm in language classes with my course and journalists but all the theory and practicals are a mix of us and digital cultures.
    The year behind me have like 70 in the course and split before they went into the year so I'm not sure how they work but I would pressume its similar.

Lectures vary hugely,I've only really one that I've a problem with though and thats because her classes seem to have no aim or structure.Most of them are brilliant.I actually enjoy going to the majority of my classes.

All the production classes are continious assesment and a production og at the end of them.Theory classes vary between essays and exams or the odd one combines the two.With French you'll have two exams and an oral at Christmas and summer the same as with Irish.The most exams I've had was four so its not a very exam heavy course.

hope this is helpful to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

That's really helpful, thanks:)
    One more small question, the careersportal page for the course
    http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=17482
    only shows the 2011 points, did it change its name or something and that's why they're not showing previous year's points requirements?

That's really helpful, thanks:)
    One more small question, the careersportal page for the course
    http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=17482
    only shows the 2011 points, did it change its name or something and that's why they're not showing previous year's points requirements?

Yeah when I applied I applied for media arts its since split into film and broadcasting and film and broadcasting with a language.That's why you can't see the points.If it helps I slipped in with 410.

• Advertisement
Advertisement